First Hardware synth for a trance producer?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi everyone I'm considering buying my first hardware synth, i just don't know what to chose
i have been thinking about the virus ti snow, or maybe the ti2 due to the fact that it has more knobs.

I have also heard that the Nordlead series should be just as good but they have a shaper sound
and that they cant get as big/fat as the virus series is that true btw?

- Anyways if you guys have some other suggestions let me know :D

If it's your first hardware synth you likely won't be able to tell them apart anyway. When I started all of mine sounded the same: 101's to Nord Leads to Virus's to Juno's. All sounded ballsy with a face melting filter sound.

It was only when I started learning synthesis they came into their own.

My recommendation: Look up your favourite producer. Buy their most loved synth. Learn it.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Good advice from Mushy. Can't add much but the Virus or Nord Leads are your basic standard trance super synths. Tons of presets for the Virus series.

You could check out one of the earlier Virus B or C models if you want to see what they're capable of without dropping the full cost of a TI2. That's what I plan to do (Virus B) when one becomes available for a good price (sub $500).

Of course, the main benefit of the TI2 is the USB audio interface and Total Integration ... won't get that with the Virus B.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

I'd recommend Virus over Nord simply because it is so much more.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote:I'd recommend Virus over Nord simply because it is so much more.
And this is why I wouldn't.
For a first synth too much is simply a mind****. Start simple and learn what everything does first.

EDIT: Although I am assuming (blindly) the OP is new to synthesis. He may well have several soft synths he's very familiar with :shrug:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Aiynzahev wrote:I'd recommend Virus over Nord simply because it is so much more.
How are you finding your Virus? Don't you find it annoying to bounce audio constantly? That's why i bought 2 of them. Great synths but lets hope the TI3 has 8 stereo outs.. imake use of 6 usb and the plugin but Access should make it more versatile in the output department.

PS

@op

i just picked up a few synths and testing the Yamaha CS6X here.. that has a massive sound too.. really massive and it samples plus takes expansion boards.. Top FX and Drums on board.. Ebay is your friend.. go with what Andy says.. Virus B or C for me i'd hold out and see if the Virus TI3 comes out.. ;-)

Rob

Mushy Mushy wrote:And this is why I wouldn't.
+1

If you want so much more from your Virus then you have to bounce.. you get a good hypersaw going and a pad then yer fooked and bounce audio is the only way. It's a frustrating synth.. i get 2 parts out of each at best. Buy something else if your just starting out.. Sylenth and a hardware controller.

Rob

First question: what's your budget?
Ecto wrote: i have been thinking about the virus ti snow, or maybe the ti2 due to the fact that it has more knobs.
Between those two, I'd say get the TI2 so you can actually reap the benefits of owning a hardware synth. The Snow is great if you: (a) don't mind a LOT of menu-diving and/or (b) are content to create/edit with a software editor (sorta defeats the purpose IMO).

Nords are great as well. The new Nord Lead 4 is apparently about to be announced at Musikmesse next week, so you may want to wait and see what it brings. It may cause a lot of people to start dumping their NL2Xs and NL3s (both great synths that you should definitely consider), and that may mean better prices for you.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Just to add my 2 cents: I own a Virus TI2 Polar, but I'd recommend *against* buying one, if you have never used one extensively before. It has many good things about it, but it may also have quite some issues, depending on your workflow.

In general, it's not very reliable in my experience. On paper the TI(2) concept for integration with your DAW / host / sequencer may (seem to) be a good solution, allowing you to offload a bunch of sounds to external DSP, or even to use as your only hardware synth, but in practice that's often more of a headache (syncing, latency, etc.) than it's worth to me. Using MIDI-clock synced arpeggiators end/or effects on multiple channels simultaneously often does not sync tight enough, so I hardly use more than a single patch at once. And If your host isn't particularly great with editing SysEx or Polyphonic Aftertouch (or doesn't even support it), using plain old MIDI can be quite a pita as well. In practice, I mainly use it only as a MIDI keyboard in the studio, and while it has a good build quality in general, I still find it quite unreliable even for that simple purpose (e.g. sometimes the pitch bend acts up randomly, sending random data or not allowing me to reach the maximum value anymore, requiring me to switch off the machine and back on). Not to mention the problems one may have with using a USB1 (!) connection.

Also, the sonic and musical qualities of some of my favorite plug-ins are much better, imho. (Also, I typically prefer analog hardware synths for their sound, although perhaps not as easy to use in conjunction with a modern DAW). But then again, I'm not a typical trance producer, so YMMV. The Virus series indeed seems to be especially popular with people producing trance music and related genres.

However, if you're really into trance in particular, and want to use a hardware synth, I would suggest to also consider the Roland JP-8000 / JP-8080. Arguably, the 'supersaw' of that particular synth pretty much defined the entire trance genre, and could as such be especially useful for getting yourself a hardware setup for producing the 'classic' trance sound. They seem to be quite affordable nowadays.

Ch00rD wrote:Just to add my 2 cents: I own a Virus TI2 Polar, but I'd recommend *against* buying one, if you have never used one extensively before. It has many good things about it, but it may also have quite some issues, depending on your workflow.

In general, it's not very reliable in my experience. On paper the TI(2) concept for integration with your DAW / host / sequencer may (seem to) be a good solution, allowing you to offload a bunch of sounds to external DSP, or even to use as your only hardware synth, but in practice that's often more of a headache (syncing, latency, etc.) than it's worth to me. Using MIDI-clock synced arpeggiators end/or effects on multiple channels simultaneously often does not sync tight enough, so I hardly use more than a single patch at once. And If your host isn't particularly great with editing SysEx or Polyphonic Aftertouch (or doesn't even support it), using plain old MIDI can be quite a pita as well. In practice, I mainly use it only as a MIDI keyboard in the studio, and while it has a good build quality in general, I still find it quite unreliable even for that simple purpose (e.g. sometimes the pitch bend acts up randomly, sending random data or not allowing me to reach the maximum value anymore, requiring me to switch off the machine and back on). Not to mention the problems one may have with using a USB1 (!) connection.

Also, the sonic and musical qualities of some of my favorite plug-ins are much better, imho. (Also, I typically prefer analog hardware synths for their sound, although perhaps not as easy to use in conjunction with a modern DAW). But then again, I'm not a typical trance producer, so YMMV. The Virus series indeed seems to be especially popular with people producing trance music and related genres.

However, if you're really into trance in particular, and want to use a hardware synth, I would suggest to also consider the Roland JP-8000 / JP-8080. Arguably, the 'supersaw' of that particular synth pretty much defined the entire trance genre, and could as such be especially useful for getting yourself a hardware setup for producing the 'classic' trance sound. They seem to be quite affordable nowadays.
Nice read and i fully agree :-)

Lets hope a TI3 addresses all this eh ;-)

Rob

Wow thanks for all the response guys i really appreciate that!

Im not a sound designer bye any means, but I'm starting to get it with sylenth.
that being said i think I'm more of a preset kinda guy, not that i just use them right of the bat, but i like to find one that i like, and mess with the phaser and detuning, cutoff, voices and stuff, and of course all the layering :love:

For now i think I'm gonna wait and see what the ti3 gonna bring, and maybe buy
another soft synth :)

Don't buy another soft synth yet, I would get to know Sylenth inside out. it's a very powerful synth.

You should start to learn a little of subtractive synth so when you do get the virus you know what ADSR and LFO's are and how to manipulate them to create what you want out of the synth. Just saying.

Minubrute... Analog, Plenty of Oscillator sources... No effects, simple and fun to learn on :).

nords are not really a great choice for one and only synth for trance, unless you talk about psytrance..but for commercial trance / dance ,virus caractere is more suited and popular ,it s probably what you re looking for.

Recommending a JP-8080. They are fairly cheap on Ebay. I own one. ALL (well 90%) The features are accessible on the front. It's basically like a VST GUI - many many nobs, very little menu diving.

It has all the basic Synth features (including a sine wave if you take advantage of the self oscillating filter) and can even do 48 Saw Waves per note using the Unison feature on a Supersaw (and if you go into the menu you can spread the unison more).

Of course you can use it as a Vocoder and effects box too.

Very fun synth

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”