midi keyboard controller with lots of knobs (suitable as synth controller)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ch00rD wrote: Much better idea. I think those knobs may even send 14 bit MIDI CC#. I don't like micro keys, but I agree 25 keys is not enough. So I would also like to see a non-keyboard version of it. Too bad the Slim Phatty (beware the abbreviations: SP is already taken! ;) ) doesn't have as much knobs...

(I really should just get the Sub Phatty anyway. Never mind chords and decent melodies, fat bass FTW. ;) )
Yeah 14 bit midi. I can see why a lot of keyboard players would be frustrated with only 25 keys but I'm using the Sub P (saying as SP is taken :)) mainly for bass & leads in the studio. If I need more keys I just slide over to my right where the oxygen61 is.

The Sub Phatty really is truly awesome for bass! ....& leads, percussive, fx.............

I found a cheap compact 49 key controller at Thomann with 12 knobs

i'm reconsidering now the sub phatty for my setup with this workaround in mind:
korg microkeys 37 infront, a flat plastic/wooden surface to cover the sub phatty 25 keys and place the computer keyboard there instead.
all infront of me neat and tidy .
i'm just too in love with all those big and well spaced knobs and angled panel....
nothing distracting just a clean interface with lots of knobs for synth science 8) .
oh and on top of that i get a moog synth too....although i already have diva and monark....can't complain to actually have a real analog moog :oops: .
only drawback no recall endless knobs ....and goin back to parameter jumping after an year on automap might be trivial.
ofc not a huge deal especially if there will be a vst wrapper that will display the numerical value of knobs.

thecontrolcentre wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:Nice synth. FYI my studio has plenty of analog gear with a knob/slider for every parameter.
But there's not a lot of alternatives like that for VST synths. I can only think of the MS20 Legacy controller...
http://youtu.be/FsZuFPeZznA

http://youtu.be/oCYKA-Ty1Js

;)
Not for sale :wink: (and probably crazy expensive if they were)

olikana wrote:[...] oh and on top of that i get a moog synth too....although i already have diva and monark....can't complain to actually have a real analog moog :oops: .
I'll bet you that both Diva and Monark can sound just that tiny bit 'phatter' when routed through Sub Phatty's multidrive, though. ;)
Peevy2000 wrote:
Ch00rD wrote: [...] I think those knobs may even send 14 bit MIDI CC#. [...]
Yeah 14 bit midi. [...]
Thanks for confirming. :) Lack of 14 bit support is one of my pet peeves. ;)

See the above. It only took one cup of coffee to ruin it. So I'd tell everyone to avoid putting liquids on controllers.

Also....
Repeating what has already been mentioned you can store midi learn to fxb/fxp settings. As well often assign cc values on a per preset basis to many mondern hardware controllers.

My ztars have "songs" where I can and usually do map cc as well as other settings on a per preset basis.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

T-CM11 wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:Nice synth. FYI my studio has plenty of analog gear with a knob/slider for every parameter.
But there's not a lot of alternatives like that for VST synths. I can only think of the MS20 Legacy controller...

;)
IIRC he makes them to order for couple of grand :hihi:

thecontrolcentre wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:

;)
IIRC he makes them to order for couple of grand :hihi:
Looking at a Korg MS-20 legacy controller on ebay right now. If it had a 'buy it now' option I'd use it..2 hours to go and no bids yet, starts at $200 australian
no software included unfortunately
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

Scored! should cure lack of knobbage for a couple of days next week :-)
I'm tired of being insane. I'm going outsane for some fresh air.

It's not just the knobs, it's the layout. Most synths have groups of 4/5 (ADSR, cut/res/env/track, etc etc) and faceless rows of 8 are just not as ergonomic as they could be, even if there's a scribble strip or LCD display somewhere nearby.

I can't look at a computer screen and remember how many knobs from the left the filter envelope is, but I can do that on a Virus or a Nord or a Moog. Plastic crap, all of it, even 10 years after I first asked the question (and that thread surfaces from time to time with the same unanswered questions....)
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

I just found this thread and thought I'd comment to see if there's any progress in this area? I also have the same problem, I can't find a decent controller for softsynths.

I tried the Novation but found AutoMap to be one of the worst pieces of software I've ever used. I had all sorts of problems with it(there's not even an undo button when creating maps!), and it also creates another VST for each automapped VST which gets very messy.

I just want a controller with extra knobs and sliders, surely that's not too much to ask. I want to be able to create templates for my most popular synths and plugins so that things like amp envelope, filter envelope, filter cutoff and resonance, oscillator controls etc are always at hand.

olikana wrote:
werp wrote:There's always the novation sl mk 2 series...25, 49 or 61 keys with transport controls, serious knobbage (rotary encoders and pots) plus various buttons and an x/y pad...with automap...
only 16 knobs....and if you buy the 49 key version is still only 16 knobs....and if you buy the 61 key version still only 16 knobs...and lots of shiny empty panel space to put your entire tea cups collection.
loook at all that empty space....couldn't it be filled with knobs?....instead completely empty how stupid is that. like i have space to waste on my desk? NOT!
space on the right is meant for one of these to sit there --> Image

Now you get 32 knobs and 16 sliders. :hihi:

Actually, I'm not sure if one can use two at a time... but it is perhaps worth a look into.

VitaminD wrote:
olikana wrote:
werp wrote:There's always the novation sl mk 2 series...25, 49 or 61 keys with transport controls, serious knobbage (rotary encoders and pots) plus various buttons and an x/y pad...with automap...
only 16 knobs....and if you buy the 49 key version is still only 16 knobs....and if you buy the 61 key version still only 16 knobs...and lots of shiny empty panel space to put your entire tea cups collection.
loook at all that empty space....couldn't it be filled with knobs?....instead completely empty how stupid is that. like i have space to waste on my desk? NOT!
space on the right is meant for one of these to sit there --> Image

Now you get 32 knobs and 16 sliders. :hihi:

Actually, I'm not sure if one can use two at a time... but it is perhaps worth a look into.
Yes we can! :D
www.youtube.com/Synthillator
er... keep on rocking (despite all obstacles :shrug: ) :band2:

regarding automap,

you can use the automap software for cc's only too,no need for a automapped plugin.
although i took me some minutes to figure it out but it is pretty great.
also you can save custom cc templates and rename any knob.

t3toooo wrote:regarding automap,

you can use the automap software for cc's only too,no need for a automapped plugin.
although i took me some minutes to figure it out but it is pretty great.
also you can save custom cc templates and rename any knob.
True. I never use Automap to wrap plugins. I set up templates in my ReMOTE SL which works fine, or I can map the most useful controls by hand in Live if necessary.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”