Noise oscillator?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Seymour Clufley
KVRer
27 posts since 21 Jan, 2005 from Mortlake, London

Post Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:40 pm

I wonder if anyone can tell me whether this thing is even possible.

There is a difference between pitched noise and noise fed through a filter. You can hear how pitched noise sounds in this video of the vcNoiz module. It sounds pretty cool, I think. Unfortunately, few noise modules offer pitched noise.

The vcNoiz would be great, but there's a problem. When you turn the pitch down quite far, the noise doesn't get deep which is what one would expect and want. Instead, it becomes a crackle. I believe this is because the vcNoiz's "noise oscillator" is digital. At a low frequency, the sound is simply generated less frequently, but still in "bits".

So my question is, could there be such a thing as an analogue noise oscillator, with controllable/sweepable pitch? Is that possible? I don't know how noise "works", so I'm hoping somebody else knows the answer. Second, if such an oscillator is possible, does one exist?

justin3am
KVRAF
10988 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Re: Noise oscillator?

Post Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:08 pm

Running analog noise through a sample and hold with an audio rate trigger will produce the same result. It's the same effect as running noise through a sample rate reducer in your DAW.

justin3am
KVRAF
10988 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Post Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:57 pm

In Eurorack, the Pittsburgh Modular Toolbox has noise and a sample and hold in the same module.

This module even has it's own clock, plus a bunch of other stuff. Ultra Random Analog

BertKoor
KVRAF
11956 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Post Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:24 am

Why not blend the pitched noise with low-pass filtered white/pink noise, so you just add that deep rumble you hear all the time in space ship corridors.

The issue though is that this deep rumble consists of a whole spectrum of frequencies and none of them is more present than another. What I would suggest is taking white/pink noise as source and use a low-pass or band-pass filter with a lot of resonance. The filter resonance will then generate one frequency being perceived as the tone of the noise.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”