Roli Seaboard RISE

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
pdxindy
KVRAF
22440 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:52 pm

incubus wrote:Like I said, too many complaints about compatibility. I think I'll bow out, I can't justify ever spending this on that considering how many people seem to have difficulty with it.
One of the reasons I ended up getting the Linnstrument... I expect to get a Rise someday, but with the Linnstrument in hand, I can happily wait until the user reports seem more solid.

K-Bee
KVRAF
2266 posts since 9 Mar, 2009 from Copenhagen, Denmark

Post Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:49 am

Now when the Roli Seaboard BLOCK is out as well, can you link together and make them act like a 4 octave controller.? If so it's way cheaper than getting Rise 49. The keys are a bit smaller, but I can live with that.

Anyone tried this thing with Omnisphere? Supposedly it should work.

Sorry if this has been discussed before...the thread is 37 pages long :-o

SteveElbows
KVRist
183 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Post Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:43 am

K-Bee wrote:Now when the Roli Seaboard BLOCK is out as well, can you link together and make them act like a 4 octave controller.? If so it's way cheaper than getting Rise 49. The keys are a bit smaller, but I can live with that.
Yes, with one big caveat - you cannot slide pitch over the boundary between each seaboard block's surface.

Keith99
KVRian
1277 posts since 15 Mar, 2007 from Yorkshire, England

Post Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:04 am

Well I have had it a couple of days now and it really is a game changer. I have been making some tracks that would have been close to impossible before. I have stopped thinking of it as a keyboard, the keyboard layout just gives you the notes, but in all other ways it is a unique instrument of its own. I have had no compatibility issues, it just works in Cubase fine. Of the other complaints about it I have not noticed any velocity changes across the surface and no issues with slide etc. To be fair I have yet to really try it with any other synths apart from the provided ones.

The only question is the price as it is really expensive still but if you can afford it I would highly recommend it, it has already moved my music up a notch and I expect it to just keep improving as I learn it more. It does take your time though, I can spend hours jamming with it!

K-Bee
KVRAF

Post Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:30 am

SteveElbows wrote:
K-Bee wrote:Now when the Roli Seaboard BLOCK is out as well, can you link together and make them act like a 4 octave controller.? If so it's way cheaper than getting Rise 49. The keys are a bit smaller, but I can live with that.
Yes, with one big caveat - you cannot slide pitch over the boundary between each seaboard block's surface.
No, that's a bit annoying of course and a bit odd too if you can make the rest work as a 49 key board. Still, it's not a deal breaker to me considering how much money can be saved.

K-Bee
KVRAF

Post Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:51 am

Any experience with the Seaboard combined with FL Studio.
According to Roli it's not really functional.
https://support.roli.com/article/using- ... fl-studio/ Anyone tried it?

SteveElbows
KVRist

Post Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:46 pm

My seaboard block should finally arrive today unless the delivery company make a hideous mistake, yay. I cant wait to compare it to the rise 25 - someone on facebook who has both said that slide & glide are a bit easier on the rise because the surface of the seaboard block isnt as squishy, so I am nervous waiting to get a feel of it for the first time!

saeidscorp
KVRer
17 posts since 28 Jul, 2017

Post Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:09 pm

K-Bee wrote:Any experience with the Seaboard combined with FL Studio.
Regarding out-of-the-box experience, I plugged in my RISE 49 and I had to go to FL settings and manually add a generic MIDI device for it to act as a regular MIDI keyboard. Reinstalled the driver, Then it showed up as Seaboard RISE 49 in FL MIDI devices. I added an MPE-compatible channel and selected MIDI Channel Through setting, but it wasn't able to receive *any* MIDI after that. (including from typing keyboard) :(

So, maybe more steps were needed, like restarting FL, reinstalling drivers again, etc.

I didn't bother anymore, FL doesn't have MPE data recording capability, so even if I managed to make it work, it would be of no use. :?

K-Bee
KVRAF

Post Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:22 am

saeidscorp wrote:
K-Bee wrote:Any experience with the Seaboard combined with FL Studio.
Regarding out-of-the-box experience, I plugged in my RISE 49 and I had to go to FL settings and manually add a generic MIDI device for it to act as a regular MIDI keyboard. Reinstalled the driver, Then it showed up as Seaboard RISE 49 in FL MIDI devices. I added an MPE-compatible channel and selected MIDI Channel Through setting, but it wasn't able to receive *any* MIDI after that. (including from typing keyboard) :(

So, maybe more steps were needed, like restarting FL, reinstalling drivers again, etc.

I didn't bother anymore, FL doesn't have MPE data recording capability, so even if I managed to make it work, it would be of no use. :?
I feared you would say that. Looks like a deal breaker to me then. I know The Rise 49 ships with the full version of Bitwig but I can't be bothered leaning an all new DAW. Until FL supports MPE, I'm opting out of the Seaboard. Shame really, as I see the potential in it. If you can't record all the slides etc. it's pointless.

SteveElbows
KVRist

Post Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:26 am

SteveElbows wrote:My seaboard block should finally arrive today unless the delivery company make a hideous mistake, yay. I cant wait to compare it to the rise 25 - someone on facebook who has both said that slide & glide are a bit easier on the rise because the surface of the seaboard block isnt as squishy, so I am nervous waiting to get a feel of it for the first time!
Well I need not have worried, its amazing :party: . Obviously it feels slightly different because everything is smaller, but I'm not finding any gestures harder to do and I get the same sense of my fingers really connecting to an instrument when I use well setup mpe synth presets.

I've been pretty critical of how the lightpad block feels and responds, and love the rise 25 so my feelings on roli have been mixed till now. My first impression of the seaboard block after a few hours use is that it is a great device that I already love, and I hope it does really well.

ajeshashok
KVRer
1 posts since 13 Aug, 2017

Post Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:34 am

Guys, I need your help.
Does anyone know how to do a hard reset on the Seaboard Rise?
I tried updating the firmware and looks like the Seaboard is bricked now. Doesn't turn on, I've tried in all ways possible, with different computers. Please help.

zadillo
KVRist
194 posts since 24 Jan, 2017

Post Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:39 am

SteveElbows wrote:
SteveElbows wrote:My seaboard block should finally arrive today unless the delivery company make a hideous mistake, yay. I cant wait to compare it to the rise 25 - someone on facebook who has both said that slide & glide are a bit easier on the rise because the surface of the seaboard block isnt as squishy, so I am nervous waiting to get a feel of it for the first time!
Well I need not have worried, its amazing :party: . Obviously it feels slightly different because everything is smaller, but I'm not finding any gestures harder to do and I get the same sense of my fingers really connecting to an instrument when I use well setup mpe synth presets.

I've been pretty critical of how the lightpad block feels and responds, and love the rise 25 so my feelings on roli have been mixed till now. My first impression of the seaboard block after a few hours use is that it is a great device that I already love, and I hope it does really well.
Thanks for the early thoughts. I'm just dipping into the Roli world, bought some used Lightpad Blocks on eBay. I've been curious to hear more about the Seaboard Block. I'm excited about the potential of using it with the light pads in various configurations

SteveElbows
KVRist

Post Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:30 am

zadillo wrote: Thanks for the early thoughts. I'm just dipping into the Roli world, bought some used Lightpad Blocks on eBay. I've been curious to hear more about the Seaboard Block. I'm excited about the potential of using it with the light pads in various configurations
Well if you have any specific questions please feel free to ask. What are you doing with the lightpad blocks so far? eg Roli Noise app or as midi controllers? I dont use noise much myself, though I do have it.

zadillo
KVRist
194 posts since 24 Jan, 2017

Post Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:55 am

SteveElbows wrote:
zadillo wrote: Thanks for the early thoughts. I'm just dipping into the Roli world, bought some used Lightpad Blocks on eBay. I've been curious to hear more about the Seaboard Block. I'm excited about the potential of using it with the light pads in various configurations
Well if you have any specific questions please feel free to ask. What are you doing with the lightpad blocks so far? eg Roli Noise app or as midi controllers? I dont use noise much myself, though I do have it.
Honestly I'm still just learning about how to configure them and use them. I've messed around with Noise but have little interest in it. Most of my interest in the Lightpad Blocks is using them with BLOCKS Dashboard on the desktop to configure them as MIDI controllers - I'm mostly interested in the idea that they can be fairly flexible and configurable control surfaces and switch from pads to scales to XY pads to fader controls. And definitely interested in figuring out using them for expressive playing.

The Seaboard Block at least feels like a sort of missing piece of the puzzle, so to speak (I'm not quite as into trying to play scales/melodies with the scale mode of the Lightpad Blocks).

I guess mostly just curious how you're using the Seaboard, more about how you're finding playing it, etc. I've played a Seaboard Rise at my local music store, so I feel like I have at least a basic idea of what to expect.

prismprocess
KVRer
15 posts since 15 Aug, 2017

Post Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:02 am

Hi Everyone,

I am the proud new owner of a ROLI Seaboard Rise 49. This is my first post here and I hope it will be helpful. I use Windows 10 (Creators) and I like it seems many others do, want to use the bluetooth functionality of the keyboard. I contacted ROLI and was told what I already knew from the website, that windows was not yet supported. No indication of when it will be supported either........so.........I don't like waiting, therefore.......

I got one of these.......
http://www.cme-pro.com/widi-bud/
.......because you never know until you try.

Here goes......
1. Buy a Widi Bud (I'm in UK so I went to Bax)
2. Plug in Seaboard with USB cable and in Dashboard give it a name. I named mine ROLI.

3. Disconnect Seaboard from computer.
4. Download and install WiDi Plus application from their site http://www.cme-pro.com/xkey-downloads/ (It's in the bottom right corner of the page - only for X64 Windows)
5. Plug in WiDi Bud, open WiDi Plus and update firmware. Mine came with 1.1 but now it is 1.2

6. Goto Bluetooth tab in WiDi Plus and switch on Seaboard with no USB which should put it in pairing mode (flashing blue light on power button). It should appear almost instantly.
7. Click Connect button.
8. Now at this point is the big gotcha..... I spent an hour I will never get back working this one out. Close WiDi Plus. If you keep it open you cannot use WiDi Bud it in any DAW. It appears but just doesn't work if its still open. In Equator (Standalone), it shows it but won't let you select it........so........once again close WiDi Plus.
9. Now WiDi Plus is shut you can open Equator (this is Standalone) and go to Midi settings. There you can select WiDi Bud so it has a white dot in it. Close the Midi Settings dialog. Load a patch......

PLAY :D

Cubase 9 Pro (It's what I got folks)

If you load Cubase instead of Equator (Standalone) and have setup the Equator VST in there you should see your WiDi Bud in Device Setup as the active In. Load Equator Instrument track and set it in the Inspector to Any from 1 (but it might prompt you for that anyway).

You can follow this link to set up Note Expression there.

https://support.roli.com/article/using- ... th-cubase/

Phew!

:D

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”