Korg Minilogue

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:I meant hardware VA's. And there's quite a few VSTi's coming out, but no hardware VA in sight. Seems like noone is doing those anymore.
Aren't Roland Boutique to consider as hardware VA of old analog hardware.
Korg KingKorg, Kross, Krome etc.
Then a whole series arrangers - maybe primarily not made to make you own sounds but layer from banks for sounds.

Roland FA-xx stuff a bunch.

I may be off with the precise definition VA, but mainly digital synths/samplers at least. All are emulating analog gear like filters etc - not pure analog is VA in my world.

lfm wrote:Aren't Roland Boutique to consider as hardware VA of old analog hardware.
Indeed hardware VA that claimed but doesn't sound any close.
Roland System 1 and 1m are also HWVA.
Murderous duck!

lfm wrote:
chk071 wrote:I meant hardware VA's. And there's quite a few VSTi's coming out, but no hardware VA in sight. Seems like noone is doing those anymore.
Aren't Roland Boutique to consider as hardware VA of old analog hardware.
Korg KingKorg, Kross, Krome etc.
Then a whole series arrangers - maybe primarily not made to make you own sounds but layer from banks for sounds.

Roland FA-xx stuff a bunch.

I may be off with the precise definition VA, but mainly digital synths/samplers at least. All are emulating analog gear like filters etc - not pure analog is VA in my world.
You're right, there's been quite a few with the Roland series which emulated their vintage hardware, which are pretty uninteresting for me though. What i haven't seen for a while is something like the Virus, or the Novation Ultranova, like, hardware VA's which are comparable to what's out there as software like Spire, Dune,Synthmaster, Z3TA whatever. Not sure why such stuff is treated to stepmotherly when the Virus was such a big success. Well, maybe people rather work in the box with software now, so the companies don't think it's a good idea anymore, probably too expensive too, without the guarantee of financial success. Monophonic analog synths seem to be the conservative choice if you want the people to buy your stuff. Well, fair enough.

My attention is easily taken by any affordable(?) analogue with a voice count >1, so this is one I'll follow closely. Pretty interesting :)

Edit: Sadly, it's clearly a minikey'ish (Karp Odyssey'ish?) :/

koshdukai wrote:My attention is easily taken by any affordable(?) analogue with a voice count >1
Parva.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Doesn't anyone remember the dark days of VA where it seemed that all the manufacturers had given up on analog forever? Now we live in a new golden age of analog synths, and people complain that they want more VAs? :bang:
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:Doesn't anyone remember the dark days of VA where it seemed that all the manufacturers had given up on analog forever? Now we live in a new golden age of analog synths, and people complain that they want more VAs? :bang:
:) Yes, it's like an English comedy sketch.

I wouldn't call this age a "golden age" yet, though, because it's mostly filled with half-baked and low quality crap that wasn't common in the original golden age. It's kind of like the sudden return in ~2003 of the high popularity in the late 80s / early 90s of off-road vehicles / "SUVs" based on Jeep or Land Rover-like design. With the main difference being that almost all of the new "off-road-like" "SUVs" are completely unsuitable for actual off-road usage. Well, silly comparison, but anyway, the two big companies (Yamaha and Roland) STILL don't realize what they should be doing, but they may be getting there very slowly. KORG, on the other hand, is a major blast from the past that actually GETS IT right now. Hopefully they won't go overboard with lowering their manufacturing quality/cost as much as possible.
"Music is spiritual. The music business is not." - Claudio Monteverdi

I am looking forward to hear what this thing can do :)
I also agree with the VA part.
The last real va synths that are released are made so you need more of them too if you are not interested in multi tracking.

Why the stupid limitations on newer Va's?
I get it when it comes to analogue but why limit digital synths in 2015-16.
Atleast the System 1 can run as a vst too so they removed that limitation :tu:

Daags wrote:
Gadget Fiend wrote:The only way to make money from software is to operate an extremely small, lean company (no more than 10 employees). That's about the size of Spectrasonics and U-he, for instance.
You never heard of 'Native Instruments' I take it ?
or to a lesser degree Ableton, Propellerheads etc (though still considerably much beefier than what you're suggesting) ?
Native makes most of its money from hardware sales these days. And this is a tiny fraction of what Roland and Korg make in a year. Also, Propellerheads and Ableton, which both augment their software sales with hardware sales, are not large companies (and have relatively low earnings to match).

The economics of MI software sales are clear to anyone who understands such things.
Last edited by Gadget Fiend on Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

Current VA synths (off the top of my head) :-

Blofeld
Virus
Nord Leads
King Korg
JDXA (hybrid)
Novation Nova's
Microkorgs
Reface
System 1
Roland Gaia
Studiologic Sledge
Don Bowen Solaris
Modulus

Not to mention the VA aspect of a lot of the workstations.

That's probably about as many as there's ever been surely? :?

tehlord wrote:Current VA synths (off the top of my head) :-

Blodeld
Virus
Nord Leads
King Korg
JDXA (hybrid)
Novation Nova's
Microkorgs
Reface
System 1
Roland Gaia
Studiologic Sledge
Don Bowen Solaris
Modulus

You could probably throw in the Roland Jupiter 80 / Integra / FA series as well. Although not "pure" VA, these synths do include a reasonably well-spec'd VA engine in addition to their ROMpler sounds.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

Blodeld
Virus
Nord Leads
King Korg
JDXA (hybrid)
Novation Nova's
Microkorgs
Reface
System 1
Roland Gaia
Studiologic Sledge
Don Bowen Solaris
Modulus

Well, 90% of those are several years old. And when did the last Virus come out, 2009 or something? Blofeld is from 2007 even. Roland Gaia: 2010. Novation Ultranova is from 2011 i think. Microkorg is pretty old too.

Shy wrote:
deastman wrote:Doesn't anyone remember the dark days of VA where it seemed that all the manufacturers had given up on analog forever? Now we live in a new golden age of analog synths, and people complain that they want more VAs? :bang:
:) Yes, it's like an English comedy sketch.

I wouldn't call this age a "golden age" yet, though, because it's mostly filled with half-baked and low quality crap that wasn't common in the original golden age. It's kind of like the sudden return in ~2003 of the high popularity in the late 80s / early 90s of off-road vehicles / "SUVs" based on Jeep or Land Rover-like design. With the main difference being that almost all of the new "off-road-like" "SUVs" are completely unsuitable for actual off-road usage. Well, silly comparison, but anyway, the two big companies (Yamaha and Roland) STILL don't realize what they should be doing, but they may be getting there very slowly. KORG, on the other hand, is a major blast from the past that actually GETS IT right now. Hopefully they won't go overboard with lowering their manufacturing quality/cost as much as possible.
Korg gets it, but they're still making cheap stuff as much as possible. Mini keys, etc. But we have new analog at every tier now, all the way from Volcas to Odyssey to Dominion-1 to Prophet 6 to Schmidt. Not to mention the modular explosion. Definitely a new golden age.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Blofeld
Virus
Nord Leads
King Korg
JDXA (hybrid)
Novation Nova's
Microkorgs
Reface
System 1
Roland Gaia
Studiologic Sledge
Don Bowen Solaris
Modulus

M Audio Venom

AnX wrote:

Blofeld
Virus
Nord Leads
King Korg
JDXA (hybrid)
Novation Nova's
Microkorgs
Reface
System 1
Roland Gaia
Studiologic Sledge
Don Bowen Solaris
Modulus

M Audio Venom
They've stopped selling those.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”