HELP ME FIND THIS INSTRUMENT (OR A VST WITH IT)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
VH-2 Organ

I want to find a VST with this sound : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8eXLPR-ei4&t=776s (check 5:20 or just scan the video you will hear that flute - organ sound everywhere )

I know the quality kinda sucks but i really love the instruments . They are like electric organ and a flute above . But its not enough i want a VST where i can find the sound of these instruments or some advice of how to design the sound of it! I know these sounds exist in Yamaha HC2 Electone but i cant afford one right now so maybe i can find a similar vst? Ill be glad for eternity if anyone finds a similar sound vst . Im looking mostly for the organ sound but if anyone knows what kind of flute is this its acceptable aswell! Thanks!!!

TIL there's a genre called "dungeon synth" and that I seem to like it.

An FM synth (Dexed is one free, there's dozens of them) should get you that organish sound.

My favorite type of music . You should really dig in some dungeon synth stuff from 90's (then it was called dark medieval ambient) . Search Depressive Silence , Mortiis (old stuff) , Gothmog etc... . Thanks for the answer really but Dexed seems too complex for me . I downloaded some other organ only vst like Eythimia From Iliadis but still its sounds too clear even with vibrato / chorus enabled . I get so f*cking fustrated when i cant find what i search ;P . And it seems like there isnt any Yamaha Electone HC-2 soundbank around . I guess im f*cked

is it a slow attack, with an lfo noodling the volume?

i dont know . Thats why i made this post ;P

When recreating some of these old electronic organ/orchestra type sounds, you need remember how they were built.
2 or even 3 oscillators of a more modern polyphonic synth will not do.
These old machines had switches that let you turn on and off oscillators at different footages, like drawbar and real organs.
Some had switches that were supposed to sound like violas, trumpets, organs etc - but they were just basic divide down oscillators put through some filtering.
Also there was some high pass on the lowest sounds, making the saw sound more like short gritty spikes.
In DAW world, you can imitate this kind of synth structure by spawning several instances of the same synth with just 1 oscillator active on each instance and using EQ and other effects to shape them.

I didn't try to get it exactly like in the song, but i think i got the general mood.
I used 2 intances of a 2 oscillator synth for a total of 4 oscillators, added some noise and crackle.

Here is how it sounds:
https://app.box.com/s/1pto2fzaontxl8eimoogca8fj9koo6ar

*Also for the LFO like effect (which i didn't do on my sound), you can try some Leslie emulation.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

There's a good chance to recreate this sound with a String Ensemble since, too.
Of course I recommend the deputy here... :hihi:
Sending the polyphonic signal through the LFO-modulated VCF and adding some Ensemble effect gives a sound pretty similar to the one you are looking for.

Cheers, Björn

Mutant wrote:When recreating some of these old electronic organ/orchestra type sounds, you need remember how they were built.
2 or even 3 oscillators of a more modern polyphonic synth will not do.
These old machines had switches that let you turn on and off oscillators at different footages, like drawbar and real organs.
Some had switches that were supposed to sound like violas, trumpets, organs etc - but they were just basic divide down oscillators put through some filtering.
Also there was some high pass on the lowest sounds, making the saw sound more like short gritty spikes.
In DAW world, you can imitate this kind of synth structure by spawning several instances of the same synth with just 1 oscillator active on each instance and using EQ and other effects to shape them.

I didn't try to get it exactly like in the song, but i think i got the general mood.
I used 2 intances of a 2 oscillator synth for a total of 4 oscillators, added some noise and crackle.

Here is how it sounds:
https://app.box.com/s/1pto2fzaontxl8eimoogca8fj9koo6ar

*Also for the LFO like effect (which i didn't do on my sound), you can try some Leslie emulation.
Very nice sound, but I believe he meant the organ coming in at 5:20, which is a cheap and cheerful FM sound. The Electone HC-2 mentioned in OP is a digital instrument from 1989, but Yamaha made tons of cheap keys that had these sounds.

Full Bucket wrote:There's a good chance to recreate this sound with a String Ensemble since, too.
Of course I recommend the deputy here... :hihi:
Sending the polyphonic signal through the LFO-modulated VCF and adding some Ensemble effect gives a sound pretty similar to the one you are looking for.

Cheers, Björn
I just realized that I've never tried Deputy :o

Nabla has some fantastic pads inside.

.jon wrote:Very nice sound, but I believe he meant the organ coming in at 5:20, which is a cheap and cheerful FM sound. The Electone HC-2 mentioned in OP is a digital instrument from 1989, but Yamaha made tons of cheap keys that had these sounds.
It was only a proof of concept, as i said it was not an attempt to nail that sound.
Yes he mentioned the digital Electone, but to me 5:20 sounds more like something that an analog theater organ would easily do.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

And like I said, yours is a very nice sound :) xhip would suit this style of music well.

Thanks for the answers guys , really ! Im now on a VST called AZR3 and workign with drawbars but still i dont know much about harmonics so i play around with them lol. I came pretty close with the flute sound but still not close enough . Anyone willing to send a preset maybe ? (its not neccessary to get exact sound but i a close one is ok) . @Mutator you are really so close man . What VST did you use? Btw the are 2 sounds . In 0:50 its the flute (im really sure its made with drawbars but im not sure about whats the right combination) . In 5:20 its a brass(?) . And i think there is a different kind of brass/string in 29:10. Sorry for giving so many details but i really want to figure it out as much as . Thanks for all your answers! Means a lot!

No problem pezopouli. :)
My pleasure.
If i like the sound, i will have some fun time with it.
In your PM you asked for a preset of the sound i posted above, so here you go:
https://app.box.com/s/dzfp5h9z5w4sm7z8jmsjd8jb8l58pqvy
https://app.box.com/s/hdyjkpqe5zssur5mzzny1eufnpdvovo0
These 2 presets will work in Xhip Alpha.

You should layer them together.
The low preset should be high passed around 200Hz.
The white noise came from a previous version of Nick Crow Tube Driver, the latest version doesn't have it, so you will have to just generate the noise any other way (for example with a 3rd instance of Xhip with no pitched oscillators active and a long sustained note).
And the vinyl crackle from some YT video that came up as a result for "vinyl crackle" search. :)
You could also use the free iZotope Vinyl plugin.

To get it closer to the target timbre, i think you should use less than 4 oscillators.
Also some brass type filter frequency envelope modulation.

There is also another possible way to get that brassy sound from a drawbar organ type of intrument, it involves a guitar amplifier, a speaker and a microphone.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

I really thank you Mutator for all your help but i dont seem to get any close to the sounds and those vst are too complex for me .Ill stick with drawbars . But thanks for spending time ~!

Any other guidance ? :/

pezopouli wrote:i dont seem to get any close to the sounds
You mean that if you stack 2 instances and load preset a into one and preset b into the other, it doesn't sound like in my clip ???

I'll download the YT video and import it in REAPER and try to get it closer - will be quite hard based on source material with so much tape/vinyl/whatever distortion.

Also you can try downloading the free E-MU Proteus sampler from:
http://www.creative.com/emu/proteusvx/
The library is quite old, so probably low enough fidelity for the genre.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”