Waldorf Quantum - 8-voice hybrid synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:07 pm Another Quantum video - focused on the resonators

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDGh3YiM3kA
I saw this video and I finally realise what I don't like about it. It's fine until he applies the LPF, and then that boxiness starts that I dislike, especially with resonance.

I don't like the filters :hihi:

Woah, a new oscillator mode is coming with firmware v2.0. It sounds nuts.
https://www.matrixsynth.com/2019/01/wal ... ernel.html

Sounds like Quantum is getting a deep FM engine but it also sounds like a lot more than that. Some how you are able to combine samples and wavetables with more standard waveshapes and apply audio rate Frequency or Phase modulation, it also looks like audio rate modulation of wavetable position will be possible. If it's possible to FM samples, I will be so stoked!

I am totally satisfied with the Quantum as is, but I can't wait to see what they have in store for this update.
Last edited by justin3am on Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lol, did that post get pulled?
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Nope, I just messed up the link. :oops:

weird, I tried clicking around the site and couldn't get to the page. But your new link works.

justin3am wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:20 pm Woah, a new oscillator mode is coming with firmware v2.0. It sounds nuts.
https://www.matrixsynth.com/2019/01/wal ... ernel.html

Sounds like Quantum is getting a deep FM engine but it also sounds like a lot more than that. Some how you are able to combine samples and wavetables with more standard waveshapes and apply audio rate Frequency or Phase modulation, it also looks like audio rate modulation of wavetable position will be possible. If it's possible to FM samples, I will be so stoked!

I am totally satisfied with the Quantum as is, but I can't wait to see what they have in store for this update.
What an unexpected and impressive update!

My Quantum is on pre-order still and I've had thoughts of canceling the order. This new stuff is so in line with my experimental interests... Seems like I have no choice now! :hihi:

It will be interesting to see how a few of these "Synths as platforms" progress (Korg, DSI, Waldorf). This is a really great update.

SJ_Digriz wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:25 pm It will be interesting to see how a few of these "Synths as platforms" progress (Korg, DSI, Waldorf). This is a really great update.
How is DSI a synth platform?

This really is an amazing update for the Quantum. The new Kernels Osc model could be a powerful synth just in its own right. Rolf had a sly grin in one of the videos as he mentioned that you could audio rate modulate wavetable position... why? "because we can" :tu:

Now I'm quite impatient for my Quantum to show up!!

The Prophet X has a hybrid sampling engine. The pluming is there to do all kinds of things. Not as extensive as Quantum perhaps. But it is far beyond what most synths are doing in their software right now.

SJ_Digriz wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:44 pm The Prophet X has a hybrid sampling engine. The pluming is there to do all kinds of things. Not as extensive as Quantum perhaps. But it is far beyond what most synths are doing in their software right now.
The Quantum is in an entirely different league as far as synthesis capability... especially with 2.0

The only additions for the Prophet X are sample packs... DSI would have to add say full Wavetable functionality with sampling, resynthesis, editing etc. to be considered a platform (IMO) similar to what Waldorf has now added to the Quantum. I didn't really consider the Quantum that either until Waldorf just dropped 2.0 and said it was possible (no promises) that other new Osc types could be added.

Maybe you have heard something I haven't but I have no expectations of such dramatic additions to the PX based on what I have read.

Good god, kernel engine is incredible!

I still can't afford it and most likely don't need Quantum, neverthless it's impressive :)
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

It is now confirmed... that the Kernel engine can use samples so you can FM samples...

pdxindy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:20 pm It is now confirmed... that the Kernel engine can use samples so you can FM samples...
Got the email for the new beta earlier so looking forward to testing the FM stuff :tu:

rob_lee wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:10 pm
pdxindy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:20 pm It is now confirmed... that the Kernel engine can use samples so you can FM samples...
Got the email for the new beta earlier so looking forward to testing the FM stuff :tu:
I got that email too... unfortunately, have not gotten the Quantum yet! :lol:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”