Peak by Novation

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

And that MatrixBrute has exactly 7 voices of polyphony less. :D

bungle wrote:Anybody comparing to a similarly priced Prophet and expecting this to hold its second hand value, really ? Its Novation.
Chris Huggett has been making synths as long as Dave Smith ;)

He was behind the WASP that was released in '78, same year as Prophet 5

Why no audio input for procesing external gear? Bs2 has it.

EvilDragon wrote:And that MatrixBrute has exactly 7 voices of polyphony less. :D

I'll take the Matrix everytime.

I don't like the sound of the Brutes at all, i think i would much prefer this one. Sounds much more mellow, not so harsh, not so fart dry, and rude. No idea why the Brutes are popular at all. Gotta admit though that the Novation still wouldn't be what i'd buy for the price. I'd probably rather get a capable VA/wavetable synths plus a mono Moog for that money.

The matrixbrute is a great synth too and I would pick it over any moog, unlike the small brutes it can do mellow in spades. it sounds great, really try it at a store.

I think this peak and the MB will make a great pair.
dedication to flying

Here's the other thing BTW, if it hasn't been posted yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10u_xqpz4dE

$499, quite pricey also...

Numanoid wrote:
bungle wrote:Anybody comparing to a similarly priced Prophet and expecting this to hold its second hand value, really ? Its Novation.
Chris Huggett has been making synths as long as Dave Smith ;)

He was behind the WASP that was released in '78, same year as Prophet 5
I have a wasp in front of me, wanna buy it for the price of a peak, no didn't think so lol
This is novation and £1250, they are taking a big big risk with this.
Duh

bungle wrote:This is novation and £1250, they are taking a big big risk with this.
Yeah, Peak is certainly interesting, but I think £1200 is a tad too high. If the hybrid internals had the same build quality and keyboard as a Modal then might be a different story.

db3 wrote:
bungle wrote:This is novation and £1250, they are taking a big big risk with this.
Yeah, Peak is certainly interesting, but I think £1200 is a tad too high. If the hybrid internals had the same build quality and keyboard as a Modal then might be a different story.
Well, i owned a Ultranova since around 18 months and a Bass Station 2 since 10 months and did not have a single problem with the hardware yet.
Both keybeds seem to be from Fatar with both velocity and aftertouch (Fatar usually means decent quality...) and playing with those keyboards is very nice, epecially that in UltraNova.

Some older Novation synths like e.g. X-Station might had not so good keybeds but this i only know due to posts of others in a forum.

Also the knobs in Bass Station 2 work nicely and i did not notice a problem there yet.

As already mentioned above Peak inded might be a bit expensive compared to their previous synths but i am sure they have their resons for the price.
Concerning the sheer amount of features in the synth engine Ultranova still might remain their "flagship" synth even if it does not have real analog filters.
Last edited by Ingonator on Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

X-Station also had a Fatar action, pretty good keybed. TP-8 or TP-9, IIRC.

EvilDragon wrote:X-Station also had a Fatar action, pretty good keybed. TP-8 or TP-9, IIRC.
My comment was just based on a post made by others.

Persoanlly I am very happy with the keybeds in UltraNova and Bass Station 2.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

bungle wrote:Ridiculously overpriced and wont sell in the UK very well thats for sure, and yes £1250 in this economy is ridiculous.
It's cheaper than Moog Sub 37, IMO it sits nicely between Sub 37 (sound, analog features) and Deep Mind module (poly synth).
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Buka wrote:Why no audio input for procesing external gear? Bs2 has it.
BS2 is monophonic, so it's easy to do audio input there. With polyphony it's quite a bit more complicated.

Ingonator wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:X-Station also had a Fatar action, pretty good keybed. TP-8 or TP-9, IIRC.
My comment was just based on a post made by others.
Persoanlly I am very happy with the keybeds in UltraNova and Bass Station 2.
I've also owned Novation products, and have had no issues with the hardware—my comment was about perception of value from premium design and materials. i.e. If Peak was in a Modal/Moog chassis with a Fatar keyboard £1200 would sit well.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”