Roland Boutique SE-02 ... (actual analog. roland brand, studio electronics build)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

himalaya wrote:Yeah, it's strange to make a synth with knobs, where access to those knobs is compromised. Defeats the purpose of having those knobs in the first place, right?

I think this follows Roland's recent design approach with all these Boutique synths: make them small enough so that they don't take too much space on people's work spaces, so that you can fit several of them side by side....

...or maybe the designer had very tiny hands and designed the hardware around tiny fingers? :D
I’m just going to come right out and say it I don’t like using the se02 and it my be for sale soon because it’s difficult to tweak.

Stupid American Pig wrote:
himalaya wrote:Yeah, it's strange to make a synth with knobs, where access to those knobs is compromised. Defeats the purpose of having those knobs in the first place, right?

I think this follows Roland's recent design approach with all these Boutique synths: make them small enough so that they don't take too much space on people's work spaces, so that you can fit several of them side by side....

...or maybe the designer had very tiny hands and designed the hardware around tiny fingers? :D
I’m just going to come right out and say it I don’t like using the se02 and it my be for sale soon because it’s difficult to tweak.
I wonder if these are selling well because people are buying them online without hands on experience. Compact is one thing, knobs made for baby-sized fingers is another.

BONES wrote:Leaving out a patch memory on the hardware is even more stupid, so I'll bet it doesn't. It's such a shame because we've got some great sounds out of it, it's just that we can only use them in certain circumstances.
I want them to do a Minilogue Odyssey Edition: all the features and polyphony of the Minilogue with the sound of the ARP Odyssey.

Frantz wrote:I saw the SE-02 in person today. Even after reading this discussion, I was surprised how tiny it actually is. There is barely enough room to get your fingers in between the tiny knobs. I don't understand what the thinking was behind this design.
Well, they're Japanese, and being Asian myself, I can tell you that using chop sticks all day makes us comfortable with dealing with things like that.

himalaya wrote:I think this follows Roland's recent design approach with all these Boutique synths: make them small enough so that they don't take too much space on people's work spaces, so that you can fit several of them side by side....
Sorry to beat a dead horse (the one I killed because I'm the only one saying it ;)) but it's just a very Japanese-centric product, down to the super refined packaging (a lot of Japanese people consider the box and packaging to be valuable and a part of what they purchased). Small, portable, and collectable, all things that a synth fan living in a small Tokyo apartment who spends 3 hours a day on a packed train would care about.

This may be so, but such "Japanese-centric-product" design ideology had never informed any of the previous designs, like the SH-101, or the SH-2, or the Jupiter-8... These Boutique synths are a 'global' product, and the design should reflect this obvious global appeal. But I understand what you are saying...still, it's an unfortunate contemporary design approach (such ridiculous miniaturisation) , one which undermines the reason for having those knobs in the first place.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Uncle E: It's an interesting insight that this may be a Japanese-centric design. But I am with Himalaya, the product is sold internationally as a normal synthesizer without any explanation. I think people ordering it online because it is Roland and "real analog" may be disappointed when they discover these usability issues.

Worldwide sales of tiny-control boutique synths prime demand for the forthcoming Roland Micro-Waldo product, with the optional VR goggles. Operable via ethernet, wifi, bluetooth or MIDI.

Not only will Roland Micro-Waldoes make ANY BRAND of micro-synth a pleasure to operate-- Micro-Waldoes are perfect for those occasional but annoying household biological or radiological hazards, and eminently useful for hobbies such as eye surgery, surface-mount microelectronics and watchmaking.

Sit down to your desk full of micro-synthesizers-- Don Control Gloves and Goggles-- It looks and feels just like operating full-sized equipment!

Magnification is fully adjustable. If you like LIVING LARGE then your micro-synth can be big as a boxcar! Knobs the size of truck tires! Toggle switches like baseball bats!

Easy, Micro-Waldo, step away from the dog...

"Honey! I shrunk the synth!"
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

JCJR wrote:Toggle switches like baseball bats!
Is that a toggle switch in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? :o

Uncle E wrote:
BONES wrote:Leaving out a patch memory on the hardware is even more stupid, so I'll bet it doesn't. It's such a shame because we've got some great sounds out of it, it's just that we can only use them in certain circumstances.
I want them to do a Minilogue Odyssey Edition: all the features and polyphony of the Minilogue with the sound of the ARP Odyssey.
That would be a dream synth :tu:
A minilogue with the 3 filter modes and a third oscillator (Not the digital in Prologue).
And more modulation options + lfo delay time oh and 6 voices.

People complain about the size of the SE-02 yet many love their modulars.
I am fine with it's size and have no problem making sounds on it.
The only thing i have to complain about is that the waveform and range knobs could be little bit looser since they are hard to move.

But all in all it is a awesome synth with some serious punch :)

D-Fusion wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:56 pm I am fine with it's size and have no problem making sounds on it.
The only thing i have to complain about is that the waveform and range knobs could be little bit looser since they are hard to move.

But all in all it is a awesome synth with some serious punch :)
Exactly the same here. The size isn't a huge problem for me, but the "clicky" knobs are too hard to turn. Some users said they break in and loosen over time, but I've had my unit for over 1.5 years and they're still too hard to turn. If my hands are even slightly sweaty I can't achieve traction and the fingers just slip around the knobs...

Trying to figure out what replacement knob caps would fit. Obviously they can't be too large or there'd be even less space between them. However if the knbos were just slightly larger, rubberized and "chicken head" style, they'd be much easier to grip and you'd achieve more torque when turning them. You only really need to replace the 4 waveform and 3 range knobs, the others are fine. Also it would be from somewhere that ships within the EU (not about to pay $150 on shipping and duties for a handful of plastic knob caps). Any suggestions?

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”