Is the Korg Minilogue my only option?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There's plenty of character there, I would say.

D-Fusion wrote:If you get a Minilogue i would recommend adding the Bass Preacher in the signal chain for more punchy sound.
It really turns the synth up a notch compared to it without the Bass Preacher.
I don't have a Bass Preacher pedal so I can't comment on that, but the Minilogue definitely benefits from some good pedals/preamps. Pads/keys sound great through a phaser (I tried both the Nano Small Stone and the MF-103), while arpeggios benefit from an overdrive pedal. I also used it with an MF-Drive and it was great for arpeggios (I could play for hours with the PolySeek patch - number 9 of the factory bank - with a touch of MF-Drive).
I think it's one of those synths that would work well with almost every pedal, if it's the right pedal for your sound (anyway I don't have a huge variety of pedals to try, so I may just have been lucky with my effects...).
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

tehlord wrote:The minilogue is such a red herring. It's technically analogue, but (imo) doesn't offer any benefits of being analogue
And what, precisely, are the "benefits of being analogue"? I've bought a few lately but none of them can hold a candle to my Novation Ultranova or (mostly digital) Waldorf Rocket. But, of all of them, the Minilogue probably comes closest by virtue of being a proper polysynth. For the money it's a no-brainer if you really have to have analogue. Personally, though, if I had that money to spend I'd spend it on a good V/A like the Ultranova.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I just got the Arturia mini lab 2. man is it impressive. also got the upgrade of precets. over 6000 of them. check it out on you tube.

You other option is a Roland system 1, it isn't analog but it has, even more, controls, some other features and you could load the Roland plugouts of the SH101, SH02, Promars or System 100 which sound excellent, even if you only load one you have one synth with two engines that will sound very different.

If you get the System 1m you get the patch points which increases the possibilities, but from the main synth engine you get: more waveforms, an LFO that can modulate multiple destinations (the Minilogue only has one target at a time) and more filter types.
dedication to flying

pgvpgv333 wrote:I just got the Arturia mini lab 2. man is it impressive. also got the upgrade of precets. over 6000 of them. check it out on you tube.
The MiniLab is a MIDI controller, it doesn't have presets. I'd find 6000 presets a reason NOT to buy something. Seriously, who has time to go through 6000 presets every time you need a new sound? And there is no way that they aren't just variations on a few themes. 64 is about my limit for presets and everything I have ever owned with more has turned out to have multiple versions of the same sounds over and over again.

The Perfect example is my Waldorf Pulse II. It has 400 presets so I went through and noted down all the sounds I thought I might find usable. I ended up with 20-odd presets in my list, which I then copied to the the last bank (401-500), only to discover that most of them were almost exactly the same sound with just a couple of minor tweaks to envelopes and the like.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

so 64 sounds is all you have to play with? and why do they still make new synths? not trying to be cooky. happy merry to you.

I agree that in the basis of an analog synth there's just a handful usable foundation sounds on which variations (envelopes & modulation) can be made.

Everyone wants only the Supersaw, Wobble & Hoover, so...
A piano has just "one" sound, but if you play it well you can get out subtle variations and it never gets boring.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

well with envelopes and modulation you can do pretty much and if you than have analog seqenser you, there are rather many more doors open.

Well, after berating someone else, I ended up getting a MiniLab Mk II myself. For just over $100 it is ridiculously well made and feels like it will endure a lot of rough and tumble. It's footprint is also pretty much exactly the same as my laptop, so it's as portable as it gets. And for an extra $29 it was a no-brainer to upgrade Analog Lab Lite to the full version (which is where the 6000 presets come in). Most of the sounds that have impressed me so far are from the Buchla Easel so I'm thinking about maybe getting that, especially as it's down from $149 to $99 at the moment. The original is an instrument I had never heard of until I bought the MiniLab but it does some wickedly weird things.

nice to hear you like it.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”