Monitor suggestions around $3000?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,

I am looking for some monitor suggestions in the $3000 ( for the pair) range. I'm open to new or used. Currently looking at the new JBL 7 series. That being said looking for some suggestions. I'm in a room that's about 850 square ft with 28ft ceilings. I'm center about 5 ft from my speakers. The room is treated.

Thanks,
Kevin
Win 7 | Dual Xeon x5680 | 48 GB RAM | Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS50 monitors |Cubase 8.5 Pro|
Kevin DiGennaro

s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Great choice right here!

You can also give these a listen:
-Genelec 8250
-PSI Audio Active 17M
-Focal Twin 6
-Dynaudio BM15A

Not sure what problems he had with the Egg100, I have and confidently use the 150 for quite a while now, and have no such problems..

3ee wrote:Not sure what problems he had with the Egg100
One issue is that the tweeters seem rather directional and don't spread their sound.
Another issue is that Munro "went into administration" (that is: bankrupt, don't exist anymore.) So you might find a good deal for them as B-stock (or whatever they call a warehouse clearing sale) but issueing warranty might be somewhat difficult.
Last edited by BertKoor on Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I could let you have my Questeds with 15 sub woofer for a very good price.
PM me if you are interested and I can give you all the pertinent info

3ee wrote:
Not sure what problems he had with the Egg100, I have and confidently use the 150 for quite a while now, and have no such problems..
I was only kidding. It turned out that the guy (allegedly) has a hearing problem. Why that supposedly is only noticeable when listening to speakers, i have no idea. As they say, "Not sure if serious or...".

chk071 wrote: I was only kidding. It turned out that the guy (allegedly) has a hearing problem. Why that supposedly is only noticeable when listening to speakers, i have no idea. As they say, "Not sure if serious or...".
He had problems with his monitors, his Access Virus, his hearing, and his family (bullying him). His opinion on monitors is completely worthless.

Back OT: I love my old Genelecs (1029A + 1091A). :tu:

That is an enviously big room. Even with near field (5 foot) listening distance, I'd be tempted to use some pretty big speakers. Maybe some weenie 8 inch two way speakers would be fine, but my atavistic urge would want something like maybe 12 inch woofer three way mains with 18 inch subwoofers or something like that. :)

If I were buying new monitors I'd be looking towards:-

APS AEON

JBL LSR 6328P

Emes Violett HR

or used:-

Fostex NF1A

Passives by Spendor, Rogers, Harbeth, etc with a meaty power amp.

I have APS Aeons and they rock.

APS' customer support is also second to none in my experience.

But my main piece of advice is to audition whatever you buy in your space, do a few mixes with em and see how you feel over the space of a bit of time.

If you're spending $3k, that's really the right way to decide... All the listening in the world in a showroom will only tell you a limited amount. It's about how you feel when you work with em.

thecontrolcentre wrote: He had problems with [...] his Access Virus [...] and his family (bullying him).
Hm... i must have missed that. :P

That APS 15-inch sub seems cool, 15 Hz, 200 pounds :hihi:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”