RME HDSPe RayDAT + monitoring help

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Never used PCI-E, only USB and crappy FW in the past. I really want to try my hand at PCI-E, but I'm stuck at figuring out monitoring my external gear in conjunction with audio I would have playing from the PC (youtube, media players, DAWs)...

1) I have a set of JBL LSR 305s & a pair of DT-770 headphones.

2) I want to monitor both PC audio like youtube, itunes & FL Studio... along with connected hardware synths with my main JBL speakers & my DT-770 headphones & be able to play my synths along with audio playing from youtube at the same time, etc.

3) If I were to get a Saffire Pro 40 & connected it via ADAT to the RME PCI-E card, could I monitor all my synths connected to the Saffire & audio from the PC by plugging my speakers & phones into the Saffire & monitoring from it's control knobs?

Thank you to anyone who is willing to help me! :)

So you'll use the saffire just as a converter with the raydat as a main soundcard... Not sure the saffire works standalone... (the ur824 steinberg can).
Usually : all synths in a converter (ex : ada8200), adat connected to the raydat, raydat connected to a monitoring system (ex : presonus monitor station) via spdif.

hey budweiser, thanks for the reply. i've read where you can set the Saffire Pro up in the computer, then for the settings you can "Save To Hardware", but I haven't tried it personally.

I stayed up last night researching this & found another way using the ADA8200 you mentioned and a Mackie Big Knob. Would this following setup work:?

-Synths into ADA8200
-ADA8200 ADAT Out -> RME ADAT In (so that synth audio can reach the computer)
-RME Breakout Stereo XLR -> Stereo input on Mackie Big Knob (to monitor all PC audio, ie browser/DAW)
-Speakers & Headphones -> Mackie Big Knob

-ADA8200 Line Outs 1-2 -> Mackie Big Knob Stereo Input (to get audio from synths if ever the PC is turned off)

Here is a diagram I made up of the routings: http://oi66.tinypic.com/10ztetc.jpg

Hi,
Breakout cables for the rme raydat are only aes in-out, s/pidf in-out, midi in-out. Not analog signals. You must obtain the output from a pair of the ada8200 outputs.
Also if I has to be you I would sell the sapphire and buy another converter, saving money
Hope this helps.
Luc

Perhaps RME TotalMix software can deliver a clever all routing solution? Maybe someone who owns RME hardware can help.

Hi
I own both hdsp9652 and raydat and yes Rme provide total routing for these cards.
Cheers
Luciano

What about with RME HDSPE AIO and it's breakout cable with analog XLR cables? (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BO9632XLR)

I've been talking about the wrong RME card... I'm looking at the AIO, not the RayDAT. Sorry I was reading up on them all night & just typed the wrong one.

So this same setup should work with the AIO then?

Yes it should work, only you must connect Ada8200 adat in to the AIO out to have the ADA8200 outputs working
By the way you can mail to rme to verify the setup.

EchoEko wrote:What about with RME HDSPE AIO and it's breakout cable with analog XLR cables? (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BO9632XLR)

I've been talking about the wrong RME card... I'm looking at the AIO, not the RayDAT. Sorry I was reading up on them all night & just typed the wrong one.

So this same setup should work with the AIO then?
I have the PCI version 9632 of the AIO - and addon board Ai4S which do 4 inputs. But that is only 2 extra stereo inputs, total 3 stereo with built analogs for midi gear - so I use a patchbay to render and play back three at a time. So in a few secs I connect the midi gear I need right then to record and after that record audio part of midi when satisfied with takes.

You can even use a mixer to sum various gear for recording purposes to a single stereo input. Then to render for recording you just solo one midi track for gear you want to render into your daw. I use a Mackie 402 VLZ4 which are really nice Onyx preamps as well for stuff that need mike level inputs - like an acoustic guitar and vocals etc.

There is also separate headphone out beside analog 1+2 - same outputs though. Phone outs go to headphone preamp for HD650 phones. And using spdif outs on breakout cables to external dac to my amp+monitors when I use that.

And there is a 4 output AO4S for extra outs if you want that. Both Ai4S and AO4S are about $200 each. Then you've got RME quality all the way.

But also looking at getting similar to ADA8200 unit with ADAT outs. So using such a 8 channels unit you get 4 stereo inputs and with 2+4 on RME you have 7 units running realtime if you need that.

Hope you get some ideas how to proceed...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”