Rack inserts like notation stands - did you ever see that?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

Planning a bit for smaller midi modules like Roland Boutique and similar and just having a rack unit with a notation stand sticking out and down a bit would be very useful for this purpose - not being rack units as such.

I have some free space inserts for rack mount - but nothing that do this.

Thanks.

I don't know if this has become an "uncommon local service" nowadays, but back when I was active doing electonic hacking in the 1970's and 1980's, there were several local sheet metal fabricators who would make you about anything simple to modestly complex out of sheet steel or sheet aluminum.

I guess some shops may have had their heads up their butts unless you wanted to buy 1000 of something, but at least couple of shops, good friendly nice guys. If they weren't real busy could make me a one-off cheap while I wait or pick it up the next day. Get a chassis made exactly how I wanted it as cheap as buying a flimsy generic bud box from an electronic store.

Best price just for the tin bending, me doing any drill press and paint work required after they make me the basic box. Even if I'd draw what I thought was a clear top/side/end diagram, sometimes there could be miscommunication so easier to do my own final machining than try to explain it (and pay extra to get somebody else to do it).

Also unless you want the lightest possible weight, steel was generally stronger and cheaper than aluminum.

One time when was gigging with an A-frame stand, got the tin-bender to bend up a nice big aluminum music stand (just a big piece of bent angled sheet aluminum about the same size as a jumbo concert music stand). We had hundreds of lead sheets in big heavy ring binders so the stand needed to be pretty strong to hold the heavy book without fallng down.

I cut a little wood wedge to establish the correct angle between music shelf and A-frame and used a couple of pipe clamps to attach to the A-frame. Worked OK.

Just sayin, if you have a friendly local tin bender, draw up a design and have it made. Might turn out cheaper than buying a pre-manufacturered rack accessory if you can find such a rack accessory. Rack accessories generally seem crazy expensive special-bent scraps of sheet metal.

Thanks for a creative idea.
Been looking at a laptop stand that maybe could be made into a Z-shape and stick it in there between modules.

Well unless you need extra strength to support big heavy fakebooks, could also make one out of fairly thin plywood or plastic or a combination thereof.

If you have an old light or monitor swing arm you could put a music shelf on the swing-arm. I usually hate to throw anything away and had a couple of old lighting swing arms in the basemt "not quite busted enough to throw away". Think I finally threw em out not long ago.

If you have the pack rat gene then maybe ya got something like that collecting dust in the attic or basement. Possibly could regroove old mic boom stand parts or whatever? Rube Goldberg is my hero. :)

JCJR wrote: If you have the pack rat gene then maybe ya got something like that collecting dust in the attic or basement. Possibly could regroove old mic boom stand parts or whatever? Rube Goldberg is my hero. :)
Turns out I have that gene a little bit - I found a floor notation stand I bought a couple from thomann.de many years ago. It seems strong enough for the job.

Thanks for all input. :)

EDIT: Found that D-05 fits so nicely to the right on my Nordlead - so that works just fine, even doing own patches.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”