Your next hardware purchase (non guitar)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I’m also debating the Minibrute 2s. I have the original Minibrute which I can’t say I totally love, and it seems awfully redundant to keep both, but I probably can’t get enough for the original to make it worth selling. Still, some tasty features on the new one.

I feel kind of ridiculous, just reading this last page... Tensor? Got it. Drumbrute Impact? Got it. Koma Field Kit (and FX)? Got it. Keystep? Got it. Digitone? Got it. :dog:
Last edited by deastman on Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Double post.

how you finding the field kit fx? looks like a good way to get a handful of fx for a reasonable outlay. need to check some vids before i decide one way or the other but opinions are always welcome :)

It's probably worth asking here about recommendations you fellas might suggest please as alternatives to Roland Scooper devices, which loop (for about 10 seconds) and 'scatter'/FSU audio.

I have one Scooper, and I was hoping to get another, but Roland decided to stop production a couple of years ago.
I've been looking at a Red Panda Particle device as an alternative, but it seems to have mixed reviews.

FWIW, I don't have a modular/Eurorack setup, just some 'usual' synths (D50 / SH3 etc), some FX guitar pedals (Empress Phaser etc) plus a Cirklon and Ableton.

Are there any good audio 'scatter' devices which you can alter on the fly to change and chop live audio (input from synths) which you would recommend?

Cheers.

ps, for hardware purchases I just received today a ERM Multiclock to sync my Cirklon and Ableton, which is good.

vurt wrote:how you finding the field kit fx? looks like a good way to get a handful of fx for a reasonable outlay. need to check some vids before i decide one way or the other but opinions are always welcome :)
Mine has made it into every jam I've released on YT and SC since getting it. But I don't have a eurorack system (just a 0-Coast) so it added a lot for me.

Having a real spring reverb is cool, but you may need to get a shielded RCA cable to connect the tank as the one KOMA sent (at least to Kickstarters) attracts a lot of interference.

The digital delay reduces sample rate as you push it and this can get quite noisy but it has its sweet spots. It also has an insert point so you can put another effect (or chain) into the feedback loop.

Haven't used the looper much. The frequency shifter is nice. There was talk of a phaser during the campaign but it didn't make it into the end product.

There are no wet/dry controls so you will need to use a stackcable or similar to run seperate wet and dry signals to the mixer.

The 4-step sequencer/envelope is useful and the CV bus routing is very slick.

If you haven't already, you can download the manual from the KOMA site and have a look through it.
Image Image Image Image

cool, thanks :)
nice to hear you're getting plenty of use from it, shows potential :tu:

The FX is pretty cool. I had better versions of all that functionality elsewhere, but it’s great to have it all in one box. I think it excels as a companion to the Field Kit.

yeah, im sure at the price the fx aren't going to be replacing any of my favourite pedals, but will also integrate better with the rest of the rack and free up my pedals for the guitar again.

and yep, with the field kit and a couple of batteries, it could be fun to get out and about with a small bag but packing plenty of scope for sound design on the fly with concrete sounds 8)

dark water wrote:for hardware purchases I just received today a ERM Multiclock to sync my Cirklon and Ableton, which is good.
A good call. I use a Multiclock to keep a couple of hardware sequencers in sync with my DAW. It's kinda pricey but well worth it in my opinion.

I got a Fieldkit FX through the kickstarter but gifted it to a friend who had a bunch of their gear stolen. I'm pretty keen to get one for myself soon but I put most of my gear budget into a 500-series rack earlier this year and I'm still waiting from my Vector sequencer+expander from Five12. I still have some savings left over for gear but I have to be more picky. It's hard, considering how much cool stuff came out this year!

The compulsion to put an H9000 on my credit card is sooooo strong right now!

vurt wrote:how you finding the field kit fx? looks like a good way to get a handful of fx for a reasonable outlay. need to check some vids before i decide one way or the other but opinions are always welcome :)
I like it. My favorite use is setting up feedback loops with the frequency shifter and spring reverb, using a Bastl Dynamo with the VCA mixer to keep feedback levels ringing but not blowing out.

The VCA mixer is nice, with the tone controls on ch 1-3 and overdrive on ch 4. The PT delay is good and crunchy. The looper is pretty easy to work with. The "hidden" phaser mode promised in the Kickstarter was never implemented, but I have other options for that. I don't use the sequencer/envelope much, and several other things would have been more useful (a limiter/saturator, individual outs for the VCA mixer, a guitar pedal interface, wet/dry control for the reverb instead of needing to use the mixer for that, etc.)

Just ordered ESI U168XT since 8 inputs is not enough for my HW Synth GAS and it is cheaper than buying a good adat :)
It also means that i can start selling my other soundcards i have around here to get back some money :tu:

justin3am wrote:

I got a Fieldkit FX through the kickstarter but gifted it to a friend who had a bunch of their gear stolen.
that sucks! but you're awesome for doing that :tu:

thanks everyone for the replies :)
few other things to check off the list first and like i said, watch a few demo vids, but im thinking it will definitely be a future purchase.
maybe next time they offer one up ill get in on a kickstarter, seem like a good company to support :)

dark water wrote:It's probably worth asking here about recommendations you fellas might suggest please as alternatives to Roland Scooper devices, which loop (for about 10 seconds) and 'scatter'/FSU audio.

I have one Scooper, and I was hoping to get another, but Roland decided to stop production a couple of years ago.
I've been looking at a Red Panda Particle device as an alternative, but it seems to have mixed reviews.

FWIW, I don't have a modular/Eurorack setup, just some 'usual' synths (D50 / SH3 etc), some FX guitar pedals (Empress Phaser etc) plus a Cirklon and Ableton.

Are there any good audio 'scatter' devices which you can alter on the fly to change and chop live audio (input from synths) which you would recommend?

Cheers.

ps, for hardware purchases I just received today a ERM Multiclock to sync my Cirklon and Ableton, which is good.
i kinda like the particle tbh, if you haven't seen already id recommend the pedals and effects video on the particle, they show the fsu side of it quite well, in fact they manage to use pretty much any pedal and push it to fsu! :hihi:
don't really know any other things that fit your needs sorry :neutral:

Cool - thanks Vurt.
And I just decided to do the ONLY smart thing which I know everyone will approve of here. Buy both of them!!
So I ordered a Particle tonight and I'll wait for a 2nd Scooper to appear on ebay at a sub £250 price for me to snaffle :D

@Justin: yeah the Multiclock will definitely help.
It makes very good sense to run the Cirklon as the Master clock, but it'll be interesting to swap it around briefly to see how bad (or not) my Ableton setup is with timing etc. Cheers.

I have both the Particle and Tensor. They’re both really cool, but I seem to have more fun with Tensor. YMMV...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”