Where have all the modules gone?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
tapper mike
KVRAF
4801 posts since 20 Jan, 2008

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:58 am

I think the M3 was the last product produced as a detachable unit (though not really a rack mount)
As I look around the market no one is making them (synths, romplers, effects) anymore.

EvilDragon
KVRAF
17064 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Re: Where have all the modules gone?

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:59 am

Apparently they're not profitable or somesuch :/

Nord did make Lead 4R and A1R (this is all after M3) but they weren't on the market for too long...

husker37
KVRist
77 posts since 24 Dec, 2016

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:26 pm

Its unfortunate. Rack synths are great for those of us who are short of room. I scored an A1R before they were discontinued.

foosnark
KVRAF
4411 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:10 pm

There are quite a few recent-ish and upcoming desktop synths without keyboards. Streichfett, Roland Boutiques, lots of semi-modulars etc. I was kind of surprised the new Arturia stuff didn't come in a more compact form without the keyboard or sequencer.

deastman
KVRAF
6788 posts since 7 Aug, 2003 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:20 pm

When will they ever learn...
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)

lfm
KVRAF
4623 posts since 22 Jan, 2005 from Sweden

Post Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:56 pm

Overall - is it maybe that is cost a lot to run two series of every hardware synth you make - it must pay off.

Units that really encourage making own sounds is more useful to have a keyboard with it. Those that are basically ROM-modules anyway with hardly anything but endless menudisplays - it does not matter. Roland has a history of making modules versions of almost every synth.

I think Roland did a clever approach on Boutique series - module and ability to plugin to keyboard dock thingy.
At least makes it easier to have unit on your lap and making sound presets.
Obviously not a full two hand playable in the same sense but still good idea. And for touring you have your master keyboard anyway.

D-05 actually fits nicely on top of Nord Lead 2X - like they were made for each other. Takes no place at all. But lacking all the knobs Nord has. So didn't spend money on the keyboard dock yet.

Hammond has a unit as second manual for their XK3/XK5-series - but overpriced sadly.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”