U-he Hardware - CVilization Eurorack Module

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ah ok, I see. Thanks so much for the response. :)

Also, loved the new vid :party: :
https://youtu.be/WKplXCt0ZII

Oi, was was just gonna post it here 8)

Haha, my apologies. :oops:

I must say — that bit at 8 minutes is gonna come in so clutch for one of my A4’s outputs (random held values that correspond with different rhythmic elements). Though, I am curious — there’s no way to tie a volt map to an input, as it’s tied to the output?

vvilms wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:32 pm Haha, my apologies. :oops:

I must say — that bit at 8 minutes is gonna come in so clutch for one of my A4’s outputs (random held values that correspond with different rhythmic elements). Though, I am curious — there’s no way to tie a volt map to an input, as it’s tied to the output?
Yes, they're all tied to Outputs. We call Quantizer, Sample & Hold and Glide "Output Processors".

If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense that way. There are only very few applications where a Scale applied to one signal would be mixed with another signal that's getting a different scale applied. This would be such a rare occasion, adding the feature would do more harm than good. We have thought about it for Mode II Sequential Switch, but it would have increased the learning curve quite a bit.

But you can of course self-patch CVilization by sacrificing one pair of Input/Output to have an Input with a scale already. Or, in your case, you could just patch from one CVz into another.

I hear you, and I don’t necessarily disagree, though I suppose I anticipate there’ll be less “mixing” in my most immediate use-case.

With the first, I’m primarily interested in taking 4 incoming CV signals from the A4 and then juggling each input to a different buffered mult/ set of mod destinations.

The latter two CVilization modules are being used to manage signal flow ordering between 3 hardware devices. (Each manages a single channel of audio). :)

ooh new vid! 8)

I got my second CVz from Perfect Circuit over the weekend. This one is in a 4MS pod and is replacing the passive matrix mixer on my main pedal board. Matrix mixers, sequential switches and panners have myriad uses on a pedal board. But now I'm realizing that I need stackable 1/4" patch cables! :lol:
Last edited by justin3am on Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alright, so I now have a verified-as-working Select Bus Breakout module installed.

I've set up the following instructions in Max:

To store:
1. Output a value of 127 to CC# 16 on channel 15.
2. Output the desired program change number on channel 15 to associate the preset with.

To recall:
1. Output a value of 64 to CC# 16 on channel 15.
2. Output the associated program change number on channel 15.

Here's a photo of both the logic (left), as well as the resulting messages as shown via Iridium's MIDI monitor (right).

https://imgur.com/H1rPdSr

The reason I've chosen to issue these on channel 15 is that Hermod requires a designated channel to receive program change messages on.

My questions are:

1. Do I need to do anything to prep CVilization to listen to the Select Bus?
2. Is it ok that I'm issuing these messages on channel 15?
3. Is there anything wrong with these messages? Might I need to change anything with regard to timing?
4. What does expected behavior look like? (Is there an easier way of confirming that I've done things correctly than just recalling a preset and checking the mix amounts?)

Cheers,
- Aaron
Last edited by vvilms on Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Select Bus isn't channel aware - we're using Omni Mode, so to speak.

To enable MIDI Program Changes via Select Bus Protocol, you need to put a CVZ.ini file onto the SD-Card we added to each CVilization:

https://dl.u-he.com/extras/cvilization/cvz.ini.zip

Before you put it on the SD-Card, unzip the download, edit following line and follow the instructions on the ReadMe file:

Code: Select all

[Global]

MIDI Programs = on // [on|off/yes|no/1|0]
setting not to "on" (or "yes" or "1") will enable the whole MIDI Programs thing :)

(we weren't sure if everyone is aware of the Select Bus, and we didn't want to switch it on by default to prevent people from having surprises when using CVilization with any modules that sends these messages by default)

(if you din't have a SD-Card reader, most digital Cameras or recorders with SD-cards can function as such)

Thank you so much, Urs. We’re now up and running. :ud:

Gonna nap for a bit and then start finessing things a bit. :party:

Urs wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:30 pm (if you din't have a SD-Card reader, most digital Cameras or recorders with SD-cards can function as such)
my new pc came with one built in.
i haven't managed to find it yet?

luckily i have a couple of externals :hihi:

vurt wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:01 pm
Urs wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:30 pm (if you din't have a SD-Card reader, most digital Cameras or recorders with SD-cards can function as such)

I don't mean built-in cameras in you modern posh computer screeny things (often those screeny things that are attached to an alphanumerical keyboard why mysteriously also got the computer inside somehow), no, I mean cameras like in the good old camera phone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj3aBi2ihDI

You know, real stuff.

Urs wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:18 pm
vurt wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:01 pm

I don't mean built-in cameras in you modern posh computer screeny things (often those screeny things that are attached to an alphanumerical keyboard why mysteriously also got the computer inside somehow), no, I mean cameras like in the good old camera phone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj3aBi2ihDI

You know, real stuff.
nooooo!!

it has a built-in card reader somewhere...
the case is all ridged, looks like a city scape but vertical.
im sure it's in there somewhere!!!

vurt wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:21 pm it has a built-in card reader somewhere...
the case is all ridged, looks like a city scape but vertical.
im sure it's in there somewhere!!!
Maybe you're looking too hard. Just try to find any slit-like openings and stuff the card in there and see what happens. If you want to be sure beforehand, check if any air comes out of it. Or if any air gets sucked in. That's how you distinguish a card reader from an exhaust for the fan. The exhaust has air movement (not necessarily the smelly kind). If it's not an exhaust, there's maybe a 5% chance that it's a built-in SD-card reader.

Note: Íf it spins, it's not n SD-card reader.

If it's got a tray or if it blinks, it's probably not an SD-card reader either. Not sure if that helps.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”