IK MUltimedia UNO Synth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
UNO Synth

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:Let us know how you do with the suggestions, @beergeekgotold
I purchased a 1/8" stereo to 1/4" mono on amazon for $10. That did the trick! The headphone volume on the M-Track is pretty low but the recording level is fine.

I'm a happy camper!

Hi Peter.

Can you give any update on the Uno Editor? Is it imminent or still a few months out?

Also I am wondering if you need beta testers. I have been on several beta testing teams and I have made custom midi control templates using a few different software packages. Given my interest I'd be very happy to join if the team were looking for some external testing support.

Is anybody else getting a non-trivial amount of background hum when they connect the Uno to their computer through USB? I know for a fact that it goes away when the USB cord is unplugged and running off of battery power, and it seems to reappear as soon as I plug in the cable to e.g. play the synth through MIDI.

Would something like a USB isolator fix the problem? I can see this becoming annoying if I want to use it to record basses or leads, so I would like to nip this noise issue in the bud if I can.

Scotty wrote:Hi Peter.

Can you give any update on the Uno Editor? Is it imminent or still a few months out?

Also I am wondering if you need beta testers. I have been on several beta testing teams and I have made custom midi control templates using a few different software packages. Given my interest I'd be very happy to join if the team were looking for some external testing support.
The editor is due this month. Thanks!

hellomrbike wrote:Is anybody else getting a non-trivial amount of background hum when they connect the Uno to their computer through USB? I know for a fact that it goes away when the USB cord is unplugged and running off of battery power, and it seems to reappear as soon as I plug in the cable to e.g. play the synth through MIDI.

Would something like a USB isolator fix the problem? I can see this becoming annoying if I want to use it to record basses or leads, so I would like to nip this noise issue in the bud if I can.
Please note that this is referenced on the UNO Synth Specs page:
USB power has inherent ground noise, so when connecting the UNO Synth directly to your computer via USB, you may hear more noise and interference than when the synth is connected to a USB wall charger or running via batteries. With the direct computer connection, you can reduce the USB ground noise and other interference by either using a USB isolator or a custom TRS cable into a balanced input on your preamp or audio interface where the ground is not connected at the balanced input side.

How much current does UNO Synth need/draws from the USB port? Is it low-power (up to 100mA) or full-power (up to 500mA)?

This will help with the USB isolator selection, as some are specifically advertised as low-power USB isolators.

Thank you!

LoveEnigma18 wrote:How much current does UNO Synth need/draws from the USB port? Is it low-power (up to 100mA) or full-power (up to 500mA)?

This will help with the USB isolator selection, as some are specifically advertised as low-power USB isolators.

Thank you!
I asked the team and you should go with the full-power USB isolator.

We've been seeing quite a few user videos posted since UNO Synth started shipping. Here's one with UNO Synth playing well with others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDMD8u3QZN0

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:
LoveEnigma18 wrote:How much current does UNO Synth need/draws from the USB port? Is it low-power (up to 100mA) or full-power (up to 500mA)?

Thank you!
Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the confirmation, Peter. Much appreciated.

If this had cv in, I would buy the heck out of it. :)

I think for it to be Euro friendly you would need gate, 1V/Oct and probably CV for filter as a minimum...this adds costs to what is essentially a portable format (with Midi) but now they have the circuit down and mass produced there is nothing to stop them making a Euro format module (powered by Euro with a bunch of CV points and that nice sequencer triggering out :wink: )
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Given the amount of midi control possible you'd need one hell of a large CV patchbay to tap it to its potential using analog control voltages but yeah a "pro" version with a CV patchbay and perhaps some sync in and out jacks would be worth another $100 USD to me for certain.
kvotchin wrote:If this had cv in, I would buy the heck out of it. :)

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

Here's another, the latest from the community videos for UNO Synth (now over 50 in the playlist!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dWwy_E ... s&index=53

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:

Thank you!

Would ferrite clamps and/or a twisted braid cable solve this issue as well?

USB noise in my experience cannot be solved by rf solutions like ferrite clamps and shielded cables. The USB noise is usually coming from within the computer (both hum and sometimes even hard drive chatter) and not being picked up by radio frequencies. There is no harm in trying that solution - it won't make it worse but my experience with this issue is a USB isolator is needed.

I had USB hum using specific laptops in the past and I was only able to solve that issue with the Hum Eliminator gadget. This is not a USB isolator. The hum was being picked up by the audio interface and could be heard on speakers and headphones.

https://www.amazon.com/Ebtech-Hum-Groun ... T4ZADSWQ4X

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”