Advice/input on next guitar purchase

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi
But I need a second electric as my short scale Telecaster doesn't cover all grounds. I do love the comfortable shape of a Telecaster as I mostly play it sat down at home and I find it lovely to compose on. So much as my expensive acoustic don't get much action acually.

Been looking for ages for and older Telecaster model with a tremelo arm (80's - 90's), but Fender annoyingly seems to have eleminated all that is not "original" (read old) to their line up... :x Looks like a bloody nostalgia trip IMO. God I hate these streamlined biz models.

So, I'd like a verstile guitar with a tremolo for slowly evolving effected textures - Shoegazy stuff that'll also work well for faster rhythm playing. Beeing shallow, Stratocasters are out of the question, so are PRS' (I hate the look of them both). Jazzmasters and Jaguars are really not my favorite cup of tea either, but they do tick many of the right boxes. However, I dislike the sound of P90s (The nice J. Mascis Jazzmaster). Don't know about Jazzmaster pickups in general as I never pick. There is a HH model too that people seem to dislike the PU's on.
Jaguars... also unknown terrain really. Les Paul are uncorfortable to me.

I've been looking at these Charvel Telecasters with a Floys Rose trems that does look hidious :lol: but I guess it's a versitile guitar.

So my "list of demands":
-comfortable shape
-a good functional tremolo arm
-versitile PUs for recording for Rhythm stuff like -Indie and Reggae as well as heavier effected stuff like Shoegaze/dreampop.

My favorite guitar shape is a Yamaha SG and Telecaster has really grown on me for playability. I used to hate the look as a teenager :D
I've sold off an old SG as I never used it, a bit uncomfortable. An Epiphone les paul double cut and an old Fernandes V, that I bought just for kicks. I also sold an old jazz guitar that I regret. Been thinking about an Ibanez AS, but they are trem-less

Long post, sorry, ut if you're still reading you're probably a guitar-player and may share some advice.
Oh, and I should mention that up here in the northern Europe the sec hand marked is very limited.

If you have some enlightment to what PU's will suit me, please give me examples of songs. That would be very helpful.

Thanks

-

a shoegazer that doesn't like jazzmasters or jaguars?

computer says "no".

vurt wrote:a shoegazer that doesn't like jazzmasters or jaguars?

computer says "no".
HAHAHAA...
I'm not one for picking the well-trodden path. Acually I find it a kinda annoying to be honest :lol:
I'm tempted by that trem though..

https://uk.line6.com/variax-modeling-guitars/

I've got the 'standard' (black of course). It does the Tele's, Strats, Les Pauls, and six string Rickenbackers and other common stuff really well. The 12 string stuff is passable for chords while the acoustic models would be useful live, not so for recording. The hollowbody ones are actually quite good as well, but not really messed with them yet. You can also mix and match pickups/positions/guitar bodies etc using the software.

The purists will always scoff of course, but I love it. :love: Plus you get a modelled banjo. :scared:

donkey tugger wrote:https://uk.line6.com/variax-modeling-guitars/

I've got the 'standard' (black of course). It does the Tele's, Strats, Les Pauls, and six string Rickenbackers and other common stuff really well. The 12 string stuff is passable for chords while the acoustic models would be useful live, not so for recording. The hollowbody ones are actually quite good as well, but not really messed with them yet. You can also mix and match pickups/positions/guitar bodies etc using the software.

The purists will always scoff of course, but I love it. :love: Plus you get a modelled banjo. :scared:
Now who can say no to Bonus Banjo... :hihi:
I'd be really intrested if they did a Tele shape. Not so much these. I'm very satisfied with my Yamaha acoustic. Good quality control.
There are a couple of Teles with trems on the marked.The Godin Session, -expensive and a bit weird looking. Reverend Eastsider. Nice looking, but expensive and Strat configuration PU. There is also a Fret King that looks kinda wonky. It may be nice though

I'd get a Yamaha Revstar though if they came without the bloody kitchen sink Bigsby... jesus they are off-putting to me :hihi:

ItaloDisco wrote:Been looking for ages for and older Telecaster model with a tremelo arm (80's - 90's), but Fender annoyingly seems to have eleminated all that is not "original" (read old) to their line up... :x Looks like a bloody nostalgia trip IMO. God I hate these streamlined biz models.
Fender makes quite a few offbeat/hybrid models, including a brand new Telecaster with a Jazzmaster Tremolo that they just released this week(!):

https://reverb.com/news/fender-releases ... tele-model

From a purely aesthetic perspective, I wish the tremolo on that hybrid jazz-tele was slightly closer to the bridge. Having it that close to the edge of the body looks strange.

Now if you want sexy, this custom built Telemaster (linked to below) is gorgeous. It looks like a Danocaster with a mastery bridge, and Jazzmaster tremolo - probably runs between 2.5-3k USD. Did you say what your budget was? If I was willing to pay between 2-3k for an electric guitar, I'd have Donocaster build everything for me. This would probably be the first order of business:

https://goo.gl/images/hwJmR2

Also, on the subject of Jazzmasters and Jaguars, the Jazzmaster pickup is NOTHING like a P90 (other than both being noisy due to their larger surface area). P90's are big and bluesy with a lot of low end oomph, whereas Jazzmaster pickups are much lower output and mellower overall (more balanced). Jaguar pickups are higher output than Jazzmaster and almost "spikey" sounding. Very aggressive, but not in a bluesy way. Also quieter than Jazzmaster pickups, but still single coils. If you're playing a shorter scale already, the shorter scale of the Jaguar neck may be more comfortable for you.

If you're getting into shoegaze type tones, then I'd think the Jazzmaster/Jaguar tremolo would be key. A strat style tremolo (or Bigsby) just doesn't work for that Kevin Shields, detune-while-you-strum thing that sounds so awesome with reverb/delay and tons of distortion. I think there's good reason you see Kevin Sheilds play those two types of guitars almost exclusively, and so many modified Jazz/Jags in Sonic Youth's rig.

Last point: you mentioned a Jazzblaster (term for Jags or Jazzmaster with 2 humbuckers) type guitar (not sure which you were referencing) but being worried the pickups suck. Pickups are relatively cheap and the biggest change you can easily make to the sound of an electric guitar. Buy the guitar, try the pickups out, and if you don't like them, do some research on the web and find something better to swap in. There's tons of great humbuckers to chose from at many price points. You can even go custom. I had a custom pair of Jaguar pickups wound for like $100 or $150 and was able to give the winder exactly the type of sound I was looking for, and got exactly that.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
ItaloDisco wrote:Been looking for ages for and older Telecaster model with a tremelo arm (80's - 90's), but Fender annoyingly seems to have eleminated all that is not "original" (read old) to their line up... :x Looks like a bloody nostalgia trip IMO. God I hate these streamlined biz models.
Fender makes quite a few offbeat/hybrid models, including a brand new Telecaster with a Jazzmaster Tremolo that they just released this week(!):

https://reverb.com/news/fender-releases ... tele-model

From a purely aesthetic perspective, I wish the tremolo on that hybrid jazz-tele was slightly closer to the bridge. Having it that close to the edge of the body looks strange.

Now if you want sexy, this custom built Telemaster (linked to below) is gorgeous. It looks like a Danocaster with a mastery bridge, and Jazzmaster tremolo - probably runs between 2.5-3k USD. Did you say what your budget was? If I was willing to pay between 2-3k for an electric guitar, I'd have Donocaster build everything for me. This would probably be the first order of business:

https://goo.gl/images/hwJmR2

Also, on the subject of Jazzmasters and Jaguars, the Jazzmaster pickup is NOTHING like a P90 (other than both being noisy due to their larger surface area). P90's are big and bluesy with a lot of low end oomph, whereas Jazzmaster pickups are much lower output and mellower overall (more balanced). Jaguar pickups are higher output than Jazzmaster and almost "spikey" sounding. Very aggressive, but not in a bluesy way. Also quieter than Jazzmaster pickups, but still single coils. If you're playing a shorter scale already, the shorter scale of the Jaguar neck may be more comfortable for you.

I want something else than a shortscale this time. Hard to chord those narrow frets up the scale.

If you're getting into shoegaze type tones, then I'd think the Jazzmaster/Jaguar tremolo would be key. A strat style tremolo (or Bigsby) just doesn't work for that Kevin Shields, detune-while-you-strum thing that sounds so awesome with reverb/delay and tons of distortion. I think there's good reason you see Kevin Sheilds play those two types of guitars almost exclusively, and so many modified Jazz/Jags in Sonic Youth's rig.

Last point: you mentioned a Jazzblaster (term for Jags or Jazzmaster with 2 humbuckers) type guitar (not sure which you were referencing) but being worried the pickups suck. Pickups are relatively cheap and the biggest change you can easily make to the sound of an electric guitar. Buy the guitar, try the pickups out, and if you don't like them, do some research on the web and find something better to swap in. There's tons of great humbuckers to chose from at many price points. You can even go custom. I had a custom pair of Jaguar pickups wound for like $100 or $150 and was able to give the winder exactly the type of sound I was looking for, and got exactly that.
I was refeerin to the Fender Standard Jazzmaster HH

Many good points here.
Been looking at those "paralell universe" Fenders, and to be honest I find them ridiculous prized. The scream hipstery from far off :hihi: I prob would have bought it though if they where reasonable priced. Tele with trem! But at that price, no way! But I do see what you mean with that trem. The long arm facilitates well for that 'seasick strumming'. Do you know of any other trem systems that work in a simular fashion?

Jazzmasters and PU... I'm heasitant cause I'm a strummer. You'd hard to find e.g. a reggae rhythm guitarist with JM pickups. They mostly prefeer Humbuckers (for cutting thought the mix). Unshure of the versatility with Jazzmaster PUs in general.

My hate ofP90s,- a bandmate like em...to my aggrevation.
I only like em when J. Mascis play em :hihi:

I'm thinking about getting a NEW Ibanez ... I have a LP Melody maker with P90s I got off the internet-mail order I hate it , it's sucks all around playibility wise and not found of not having a HB in the bridge I do like single coils in the neck and P90 sounds great in the neck area .... I used to have a strat copy Ibanez 90s back in 1995 ( never played a real strat ) that neck was awesome to play , the pickups and tremolo sucked though . I think if I got a NEW Ibanez I'd get a fixed bridge one , I hate tremolos and Floyd Rose crap because I'm a strummer and like alt tunings . Might check out Sweetwater if you doing mail order internet purchase.

Thanks. I also want a single coil bridge and Humbucker neck. It really must be the most versatile option of them all. People love Strats. I guess they're very comfortable and versatile guitars, but I really don't dig the sound nor the look.

What kind of Ibanez model?

If anyone have experience on mounting a Jaguar tremolo (or Kahler) on a Telecaster, please share any tips. I'm thinking about buying a cheap Tele and experiment.

I suspect it's inevitable that I'll buy a Jazzmaster at one point though. Lovely clean tones.

Here is a fixed bridge , 5 way pickup switch , 2 HBs ... So I guess maybe there some coil splitting going on there for single coil ? Not sure if I dig the blue ..... They also have some that come with DiMarzio pickups and other brand pickups for a few more hundred ... This model seems kinda barebones if you wanted to diy swap pickups brands and models around ... https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -blue-flat

EVH Wolfgang range may be worth a look? Ok, not for everyone..
https://www.musicradar.com/news/jack-wh ... h-wolfgang

ItaloDisco wrote:The long arm facilitates well for that 'seasick strumming'. Do you know of any other trem systems that work in a simular fashion?
Not just the arm length, but also the spring mechanism and design. The arm kind of pushes straight down into the body versus like a strat-style trem where you're pushing down at the top of the guitar, while strings at the bottom push up. Have you played a Jazz/Jag style tremolo? I haven't played anything else like them and wouldn't look at anything else for shoegaze style playing.
ItaloDisco wrote:Jazzmasters and PU... I'm heasitant cause I'm a strummer. You'd hard to find e.g. a reggae rhythm guitarist with JM pickups. They mostly prefeer Humbuckers (for cutting thought the mix). Unshure of the versatility with Jazzmaster PUs in general.
Really? Jazzmasters seem perfect for reggae. That treble pickup is BRIGHT! And the design of the bridge/tremolo combination emphasizes the attack portion of the sound. If I were playing skank type syncopated rhythms, the Jazzmaster would be the first guitar in my collection I picked up. And it would cut through a dense mix.

I'm not a reggae player/fan by any means, but I don't think your impressions of what the Jazzmaster sounds like actually match up with the reality of the instrument. The treble pickup is bright and sharp, and the mid position is beautiful IMO. Very balanced, quiet, works great clean or distorted. I tend to keep my Jazzy locked in the mid position. The neck pickup (and rhythm circuit) is dark and probably why Leo Fender thought it'd be a good jazz guitar.

Is there a good music store near you where you can try some of these guitars out for yourself? I suggest you spend some time playing with as many of the different style guitars, tremolos, etc. before you make a decision. When you find one you like, buy that one. Guitars are strange fickle beasts. Sometimes you think you're going to love something and totally hate it,and the opposite is just as likely to occur. There have been times where I've formed an entire opinion on a whole line of guitars based off one experience with one instrument only to find out years later that there are good version of those guitars. For instance, Ive got a Telecaster Deluxe that was my first "good" electric and served as my #1 for many years. Now that I've got more experience under my belt, I can't stand the 12" radius neck and sub par pickups. Then a couple years back I bought a Japanese top-loader Tele body that was attached to a thin (and rounder) American neck and it's one of my absolute favorite guitars.

ItaloDisco wrote:The long arm facilitates well for that 'seasick strumming'. Do you know of any other trem systems that work in a simular fashion?
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Have you played a Jazz/Jag style tremolo? I haven't played anything else like them and wouldn't look at anything else for shoegaze style playing.
I've played Bigsbys...ugly and klunky to play. Also Gibsons old tremolo system, -Vibrola-someting, not very popular and for a reason. I tried Strat trems and a Kahler that wasn't set up right. The latter has something good going for it,
ItaloDisco wrote:Jazzmasters and PU... I'm heasitant cause I'm a strummer. You'd hard to find e.g. a reggae rhythm guitarist with JM pickups. They mostly prefeer Humbuckers (for cutting thought the mix). Unshure of the versatility with Jazzmaster PUs in general.
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Really? Jazzmasters seem perfect for reggae. That treble pickup is BRIGHT! And the design of the bridge/tremolo combination emphasizes the attack portion of the sound. If I were playing skank type syncopated rhythms, the Jazzmaster would be the first guitar in my collection I picked up. And it would cut through a dense mix.
I think you will find that a Les Paul has become somewhat of a classic to reggae players. They use the guitars more percussive and they really love their Humbuckers in spite of alot of peoples impression like you. Of course all available guitars have at some point been used by reggae players. The bands are traditionally large with many instruments. You won't see many single coil pickups in modern Reggae band.

What I like about the Jazzmaster sound that sweet clean tone and also lightly modulated. Or, really effected th f... out of. But there is something off putting to me when you hear the PU interact with distortion or fuzz. It's hard to describe, there is a certain quality I just find it annoying. Like I do the P90s.
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Is there a good music store near you where you can try some of these guitars out for yourself? I suggest you spend some time playing with as many of the different style guitars.
[/quote]

Unfortunately not anymore. The interweb has swallowed up all the shops there used to have here in the 80s 90s. It's just a few left with underwhelming cheapo guitars. I'd love to demo a bunch of guitars. Maybe I'll do a little holiday shopping this summer.

There is so many cool guitars from the past I'll choose over new ones in this marked. Thats why you mostly see the same old stuff on ebay that you now can get an exact replica of ;-)

ItaloDisco wrote:I think you will find that a Les Paul has become somewhat of a classic to reggae players.
Well, Bob Marley was a Les Paul guy. So Les Paul's in reggea aren't new. I'm just saying, from a percussive and bright perspective, the Jazzmaster meets the criteria.
ItaloDisco wrote:I'd love to demo a bunch of guitars. Maybe I'll do a little holiday shopping this summer.
That's not a bad idea! I'm always on the lookout for music stores on vacation. Just don't drink before you go in or you may end up spending more than you wanted! :lol:

I have 2 points to offer the OP
1. for years, I also pushed back against owning / playing a Stratocaster - then I thought : Jeff Beck can play/would play whatever instrument he wanted. He chooses to play a Strat. Good enough for him = prolly good enough for me(you). I know it's a bit cliche but there is a reason things are the way they are . . .
2. Parker - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Parker-Fly-Cla ... Sw9V5bEJH0
One either loves or hates the shape but no one disputes the feel / the bitchin sound / the unique-ness of this brand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpNdIZHw39M
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”