Smaller body sized acoustic guitars - any ideas?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

Fascinated by the nice sound of Ian Anderson Brook Parleur.
Example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE8YLPHZImw

But price tag £3100+ is not what I am prepared to pay.

Found this little nice Recording King RP1-16C:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lUppHw ... GQ&index=4

So £500 is more like what I have in mind. Also seems like really nice resonating instrument that doesn't sound cheap.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thinking as complementing full size guitar and also varuous open tunings. And that also has truss rod to adjust neck.

This guy is cool and talks about Parleur sized acoustics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewm7NOR ... dex=3&t=0s

Thanks.

Got one of these recently and find it pretty nice.
http://www.anuenue-uke.com/en/products/seri/33
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Ah, thanks. Interesting and new thinking, not everything symmetric.
Pretty good demo of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbSAOnjs4q4

are you looking for some shorter scaled guitars or something thinner like solid body guitars? if you're looking for the later then have a look at the Ibanez Talman TCM50. sounds great and has a magnetic pick up.

dermichl wrote:are you looking for some shorter scaled guitars or something thinner like solid body guitars? if you're looking for the later then have a look at the Ibanez Talman TCM50. sounds great and has a magnetic pick up.
Thanks.

Shorter scale and towards higher register for recording and not be the same as full size acoustics.

And more open tunings for slide etc - so second steel string acoustic is nice in many ways.

Been so focused on electric guitars for so long, having five, so want to explore acoustic more fully. Listening to Leo Kottke there is so interesting things to discover.

Looked if Line6 Variax ever came up with more ethnic instruments like bouzoki etc - but they seem to stay put at what they did up till 5 years ago.

I have an Art & Lutherie parlor guitar similar to the one here.
It's 24" scale, 12th fret body, and has a solid wood top.

I got it for less than $200 years ago and (for my purposes) prefer it to the all-solid wood Martin D-15 dreadnought it replaced.

It's actually the loudest acoustic guitar I've owned, due in part to the fact that it emphasizes different overtones than larger guitars. Great for slide and fingerpicking

the local Guitar Center had a Recording King Dirty37
Special Edition parked as a loss-leader at the entrance
to their guitar room, and like a died-in-the-wool sucker,
I started playing it, and 2 minutes later bought for
my wife, as a full size box is hard for her to practice with.

youtube recording king "dirty 37" in ye olde searche engine

Cheers

Winstontaneous wrote:I have an Art & Lutherie parlor guitar similar to the one here.

I got it for less than $200 years ago and (for my purposes) prefer it to the all-solid wood Martin D-15 dreadnought it replaced.

It's actually the loudest acoustic guitar I've owned, due in part to the fact that it emphasizes different overtones than larger guitars. Great for slide and fingerpicking
Thanks for the tip.
Found a A&L Roadhouse with Parlor body here in sweden, not quite local but doable. I used to shop there where I lived 15 years ago. And really in the price range as well.

I can't believe the range of brands I stumbled upon looking for smaller size.

Will check out if on YT or something to get an idea - but if at all compare to D-15 as replacement I am really curious.

My current acoustic is a D-16GT, which I love to death, is not replaced anytime soon, but this Parlor kind as you say have a different purpose if to go towards Ian Anderson kind of sound.

glokraw wrote:the local Guitar Center had a Recording King Dirty37

Cheers
I found this - really nice sounding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4lROKvwEhY

Thanks for the tip. Cost 1/4 of RP1-16C and still a nice voice.

I read an interview with Ian Anderson when he had his guitars made for him - and talked about how bridge was put almost at end of body and avoided that boxy sound that many smaller has.

I really overlooked these parlor sized guitars, thinking you can't get a nice sound.

Gretsch Jim Dandy... reasonably priced. (got mine for i think $139 on sale. Sweetwater has it all day long for $169) picked it up 'cos it reminded me of my Sears & Roebuck guitar i got when i was 10 yrs old. very very happy with it. cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Thanks MadDog and Natural for your suggestions.

lfm wrote:
glokraw wrote:the local Guitar Center had a Recording King Dirty37

Cheers
I found this - really nice sounding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4lROKvwEhY

Thanks for the tip. Cost 1/4 of RP1-16C and still a nice voice.

I read an interview with Ian Anderson when he had his guitars made for him - and talked about how bridge was put almost at end of body and avoided that boxy sound that many smaller has.

I really overlooked these parlor sized guitars, thinking you can't get a nice sound.
I love my Recording King (RP7 with fishman electronics) It's got great tone straight out of the soundhole or via the electronics. It's become my number one guitar for practicing / playing away from home or on the couch between commercial breaks.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

tapper mike wrote:
I love my Recording King (RP7 with fishman electronics) It's got great tone straight out of the soundhole or via the electronics. It's become my number one guitar for practicing / playing away from home or on the couch between commercial breaks.
Good to hear, thank you.

I will have my RK RP1-16C later today.
I also get a Seymour duncan woody hum cancelling and will see how that match DPA 4099 at soundhole or above neck somewhere. Maybe it sounds too much electric guitar, I will see how I can mix them. I just get something else like kksound and install like on D16. But if Leo Kottke can do the magnetic pickup work, at least it looks like one he uses in soundhole, I think it might work. It's a tiny bit electric guitar sound in Kottke.

I just love the stereo miking thingy - it's incredible compared to single source. That little time/phase difference is so nice panned hard L+R.

lfm wrote:
Winstontaneous wrote:I have an Art & Lutherie parlor guitar similar to the one here.

Thanks for the tip.
Found a A&L Roadhouse with Parlor body here in sweden, not quite local but doable. I used to shop there where I lived 15 years ago. And really in the price range as well.

I can't believe the range of brands I stumbled upon looking for smaller size.

Will check out if on YT or something to get an idea - but if at all compare to D-15 as replacement I am really curious.

My current acoustic is a D-16GT, which I love to death, is not replaced anytime soon, but this Parlor kind as you say have a different purpose if to go towards Ian Anderson kind of sound.
To clarify, I'm not saying my Arts & Lutherie is in the same class as a solid wood Martin...my D-15 was well-built, sounded great and was the best-smelling guitar I've ever encountered. :ud: Just that the A&L met my needs for a go-anywhere guitar that's comfy, loud enough to be heard over hand drums & other acoustic instruments without an amp, and equally adept at finger/flatpicking and slide.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”