Help me pick a midi controller

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm trying to decide on a midi controller and the market is both very homogeneous and kinda confusing. Keep in mind I use Logic as DAW and I'm mostly a guitarist.

I tried a bunch out there and the cheap ones all feel like toys. I was able to put my hands on the following that I didn't immediately disliked:

M-Audio Code 49 > Great keys, heard has bugs that never get fixed and sliders are crappy. I can buy one for $150

Kontrol S61 Mk2 > Great keys, most advanced of the bunch, lacks pads and faders but seems to be the most future proofed and I would probably stick to mostly NI instruments anyways. I can buy one for $500

Akai Advance > Great feeling keyboard, nobody seems to have anything bad to say about it except that the software sucks. I can buy one for $200.

What's your advice? If I haven't put enough detail, feel free to ask me questions, there's definitely things I might not have considered.

don't know if you've tried and rejected novations stuff already, also my experience is with the original remote25, which i still have and works fine aside from one busted key, which was totally my fault, in a house move.
at 15 years old shows build quality is good.

Try Nektar, there' new T series released.
http://www.nektartech.com

I got myself Impact LX61+ recently and I'm really happy with it, payed 150 buck for it, Logic integration is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Cc5MvVVBU
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Things that tell better from worse - is sometimes if you have input jacks for both foot pedal and expression pedal. Cheaper ones usually have only foot pedal, like for sustain. And nice if expression pedal input has settings for various kinds.

And what kind of modulation wheel or pitch wheel you prefer?
Some have joystick for that - some have wheels that return in position other let you decide etc.
Others double up with both wheel and fader for modulation.

Those are the basic things I look for - apart from keybed feel.

I also only heard good stuff about Akai keys.

luckymethod wrote: M-Audio Code 49 > Great keys, heard has bugs that never get fixed and sliders are crappy. I can buy one for $150
If you can get it for that price, then go for it. Should be a solid controller. Dunno about the bugs though.

I wonder where you can get all those controllers for such low prices. Cost a fortune here in Europe. :cry:

vurt wrote:don't know if you've tried and rejected novations stuff already, also my experience is with the original remote25, which i still have and works fine aside from one busted key, which was totally my fault, in a house move.
at 15 years old shows build quality is good.
Remote SL mk1 here too. Still the best imho so far as build quality & connectivity is concerned. Mine's going strong after 12 years use.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Remote SL mk1 here too. Still the best imho so far as build quality & connectivity is concerned. Mine's going strong after 12 years use.
I tried the novation keyboards and it felt very toy-like and plasticky, not solid at all, lots of lateral jiggle. Didn't inspire confidence.

chk071 wrote: I wonder where you can get all those controllers for such low prices. Cost a fortune here in Europe. :cry:
Used on Craigslist, in California there's a healthy market for used instruments although everyone wants to sell for essentially the same price they paid new. Some people at some point give up and drop the price. You gotta pay attention for when that happens.

Personally I have my eye on Arturia Keylab mkII.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

luckymethod wrote:
chk071 wrote: I wonder where you can get all those controllers for such low prices. Cost a fortune here in Europe. :cry:
Used on Craigslist, in California there's a healthy market for used instruments although everyone wants to sell for essentially the same price they paid new. Some people at some point give up and drop the price. You gotta pay attention for when that happens.
Ah... that makes sense then. Thought you guys had so low new prices, and got jealous. :P

luckymethod wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote: Remote SL mk1 here too. Still the best imho so far as build quality & connectivity is concerned. Mine's going strong after 12 years use.
I tried the novation keyboards and it felt very toy-like and plasticky, not solid at all, lots of lateral jiggle. Didn't inspire confidence.
What else can one buy not to get plasric these days?
My current FPGA audio project:
http://www.96khz.org/htm/audiovisualizerrt.htm

In that price region? Not much i'm afraid.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”