Seeking help to avoid mistake in buying USB Audio Interface as a first timer

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sjm wrote:Your requirements may not be the same as the op's. Just a thought...
Of course that's true. That's true for everyone here which is why we share our different perspectives. However, if you're completely new, and if you're asking this question, then you are, you may not actually know what your requirements will be and you might want to consider the views of people who have been around that block once or twice.

On the Zoom, I did buy one of the little U22 ones before I bought the Behringer UMC404. It was ok as far as the audio went - not as good quality to my ears as the Behringer and the headphone output was a bit on the quiet side as well. My main gripe though was that it didn't want to work properly with my little MAudio midi interface - created a nasty unusable latency. It was ok if I plugged the midi geetar in via USB though. It did this when I tried it with both laptop and desktop.

Dee.P.Tree wrote:
rod_zero wrote:I got a zoom handheld recorder with USB interface integrated.

The drivers never worked on my windows 7 PC, had to sell it.
Which one was that? If you remember and want to share...

something similar to current models: H4n Pro, H5, H6.. ?

Can a Handheld/portable Recorder with a usb port be considered as usb audio interface? Yes? No?

Or was it like UR 44 ... An Audio Interface with portable/handheld recording facility?

Thanks and Regards
H4N pro, the audio interface is a feature of it, there is a dedicated driver for it but they never updated to work.

Definitely go with Steinberg, IME they are far more reliable with driver updates.
dedication to flying

donkey tugger wrote:On the Zoom, I did buy one of the little U22 ones before I bought the Behringer UMC404. It was ok as far as the audio went - not as good quality to my ears as the Behringer
Really? It's the opposite for me. The U-24 captures audio with absolutely zero detectable noise, it is noticeably quieter than anything else I have used. Output-wise, I've never noticed a difference between any of the dozen or so I've owned, apart from a couple of really cheap ones that were a bit noisy. I think they probably all use the same DACs.
My main gripe though was that it didn't want to work properly with my little MAudio midi interface - created a nasty unusable latency. It was ok if I plugged the midi geetar in via USB though. It did this when I tried it with both laptop and desktop.
Also weird, in that mine is plugged into a hub with my Analog Keys and Roli controller and it runs fine at ridiculously low latency.

It makes me wonder if the U22 doesn't use different components to the U24 (and U44)?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

If anybody is still interested to know, I have settled myself with Steinberg UR 242, somewhere between cheap and high end interface.

Not yet tried yet but hopefully everything should be OK.

Thanks to every members who have shared their experiences to help me and other members in similar situation like me.

:hail:

Regards,
Dee

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”