Modal Skulpt

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

They seem to be taking my problems a little more seriously. I'm not the first person to report an issue running through an Overhub, and they think they know what that issue is now. Trouble is, my problem is there with or without the Overhub so that's not going to help me. But they seem to be trying to solve the problem, they keep asking me to try stuff and send more detail.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

This might get a few people a little more interested - the opening theme from Blade Runner done entirely wit Skulpt -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ra8-wGTWc
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Just love the scope of sounds on this, but If I use in a DAW the moment I turn the spread now it hangs the notes, i have tried in logic and studio one, i have ticked midi chase in them still no joy, if this the case with this it makes the unit useless to me

Have you contacted their tech support? They have been slow but extremely thorough in trying to help me fix a problem I was having. Hopefully moving to Cubase will fix it but I haven't got around to trying to use my hardware with Cubase yet.

Got mine the build quality its the worst I ever seen/touched very wobbly knobs.The synth itself sound very nice but I am not.sure if the can add some features in firmware updates?The filter might close a bit more.Maybe few more waveforms?The oscs feel limiting a bit.Overall it does have very ballsy sound would say much better then blofeld and ultra mini nova..If Neutron received such an massive update for analog synth bass station 2 too then what stops.them to do a bit more on this one?

I've not noticed the knobs being particularly wobbly, although it's not something I look for when programming sounds. The build quality on mine is pretty good, at the same standard as anything else I own. The fact you are comparing this to synths costing twice as much should give you a clue as to why it is less full-featured. That said, I don't think it can hold a candle to my Ultranova but I have MicroMonsta for that. I am finding Skulpt to be a great jack-of-all-trades synth that I can use for a lot of different things but it's not the amazing lead synth that Ultranova or MicroMonsta are. In part that's because the oscillators offer such great flexibility. I don't feel they are lacking at all.

BONES wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:13 am This might get a few people a little more interested - the opening theme from Blade Runner done entirely wit Skulpt -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3ra8-wGTWc
Incredibly, and its so cheap too!

If you like that, you should love this, again done entirely in Skulpt -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43I7EikxOCI

Have the stability issues like hanged notes, faulty Program Change etc. been fixed?
I'm considering getting one since it seems to sound really good, is polyphonic, compact and cheap, and suitably knobby for my taste. However I hate dealing with unstable/unreliable gear.

Also, if you power it from a USB port, do you get ground loop noise like with the UNO and Roland Boutiques? Can you use the VST editor over MIDI cables, or only via USB?

I was having a few issues in Orion but I have had none at all since switching to Cubase. There is definitely none of the USB noise I get from Uno. I haven't tried it with actual MIDI cables (because it isn't 1990 any more) so I'm not sure how it would go. If I remember, I will hook up my Zoom interface and try it out.

BONES wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:27 am This is the demo that really convinced me of the value of Skulpt. It's not the first time, either, it was Perfect Circuit's demo that convinced me I needed an Analog Keys, too. They always seem to find the patches that get my juices flowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T51W5jAKdU
Perfect Circuit is evil that way. :lol: They know exactly where to hit me.

I think it sounds lovely, but I also think that pretty much all of this new crop of entry level synths do. I had to draw a line, or I’d be smothered in tiny synths. If I needed a small mini-rig, a DJ coffin full of them would be great, but I’m studio bound, so what works best for me are more fully featured synths like its sister the 002. I made an exception for the Microfreak, but only because it had a unique playing surface and it filled a specific role as a weird sound source for effect mangling.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I'm a bit the opposite - I wish I had more softsynths that were as simple and easy to use as things like this. I mostly use them as dongles for the VSTi that come with them.

I thought I was done until I found Trueno, which goes even further into the murky waters of hybridisation. Things like the Korg Volcas never interested me at all, they seem to be aimed at a very different customer, someone who avowedly doesn't want to use a computer.

I bought one of these a few weeks ago to put everything into. It's carry-on sized and should fit everything - mixer, Uno, Craft 2, Skulpt, MicroMonsta, Seaboard Block, Lightpad Block and PSUs. This has three layers of foam so I can either stack stuff in layers or store things vertically. I need to work it out carefully because new foam is as expensive as a whole new case.

BONES wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:19 am I was having a few issues in Orion but I have had none at all since switching to Cubase. There is definitely none of the USB noise I get from Uno. I haven't tried it with actual MIDI cables (because it isn't 1990 any more) so I'm not sure how it would go. If I remember, I will hook up my Zoom interface and try it out.
Cool! I tried the editor (even though I don't have the synth), but I couldn't find anywhere to select MIDI ports so I'm guessing maybe it just looks for the USB connection. However if there's no significant hum or noise when using the USB port for both power and MIDI, I wouldn't need to use the MIDI ports. I'm using Studio One, and I don't have any problems with pure MIDI to my DeepMind and UNO, so hopefully a Skulpt should work fine too.

I'm not 100% decided on the Skulpt yet, but if you set aside the whole analog vs digital debate, you get a lot of synth for well under €300 compared to purely analog or analog/digital hybrid synths (both are little boxes that make electronic noises when you hook them up to an amp and speakers), and I really liked what I've heard in some demos (everyone's taste is different). I could get another analog mono, but I would probably miss the ability to articulate proper chords.

Interestingly, I discovered last night that the VSTi editor can't find either Skulpt or Craft 2 from within Cubase. I'd only been using it with MIDI tracks previously and it works a treat. The standalone editor is fine so I'm not too fussed but it would be nice to get it working. It's probably just my Cubase noob status, I'm sure I just need to change a setting somewhere.

Seems a shame the Skulpt doesn't have Craft 2's oscillators and oscillator modifiers. Would be nice if this could be done with firmware but would probably mean a new machine I guess.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”