Jack-to-Jack extension cable for sustain pedal?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I need to extend the length of the cable on my sustain pedal. It seems like it should be as simple as getting a male-to-female, jack extension lead, but I want to be sure to order the right thing.

Any pitfalls to watch out for? Anyone had success doing the same?

Cheers :tu:

Probably easiest to find is a standard headphone extension cord, made for 1/4" TRS jack plugs like on your pedal. These are TRS instead of TS (3 conductors instead of 2) and shielded, but that is backwards compatible and should work fine. Only problem is finding one that's not like 6 meters, I guess you just need a few extra foot.

If you're savvy with a screwdriver and solder iron (I guess not) it might be easier to open the pedal and replace the wire with a slightly longer one. Use half of any old spare guitar cable for that.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote:Probably easiest to find is a standard headphone extension cord, made for 1/4" TRS jack plugs like on your pedal. These are TRS instead of TS (3 conductors instead of 2) and shielded, but that is backwards compatible and should work fine. Only problem is finding one that's not like 6 meters, I guess you just need a few extra foot.

If you're savvy with a screwdriver and solder iron (I guess not) it might be easier to open the pedal and replace the wire with a slightly longer one. Use half of any old spare guitar cable for that.
Cheers!

While I reckon it wouldn't be the hardest project for me to try, I neither have a soldering iron nor a spare guitar cable :shrug:

This is the one I was looking at. Doesn't TRS have 2 bands + tip? Not sure if this is compatible

https://www.amazon.es/Mutec-meter-Stere ... udio+Cable

Yep, that one should work fine for each and every situation.

BertKoor wrote:Yep, that one should work fine for each and every situation.
Great! Just ordered, and should hopefully arrive tomorrow.

Thanks for your help :tu:

Cable arrived, but it's the wrong size :dog: :dog:

At that price, probably not worth sending back. Could probably use it at some point.

Now, just have to wait till I have funds to buy the other :scared:

Oh well.

Ouch, I also missed that pesky little 3.5 vs 6.3 mm difference.

you not got any adapters?

BertKoor wrote:Ouch, I also missed that pesky little 3.5 vs 6.3 mm difference.
:wink:

vurt wrote:you not got any adapters?
I've got a few small female into large male, but no big male into small female ( And no, this doesn't qualify for the out-of-context thread :P )

Given there is no worry about degradation of audio, maybe it would be a better option to just buy the adaptor I'm missing.

Thanks for the suggestion :tu:

i bought loads of various adapters years ago, saves me getting home with a new toy but forgetting to check out puts :hihi:

ps: my gf is 5'1"

vurt wrote:ps: my gf is 5'1"
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with that information :scared: :wink:

Anyways...Adaptor (Biggy-Smalls) arrived this morning. Just connected it all up, and works perfectly :party:

Cheers, guys :tu:

I just bought a jack-to-jack (male to female) extension cable for my sustain pedal - but it does not work. I tried it a few times (taking it off and back on). No hope.

I have no idea why?

There are two black lines on my original jack pedal cable (meaning 3 poles) and that's what i bought for the extension. Not working. Without the extension, original short cable works fine.
Any ideas why?

johnzakke wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:40 pm I just bought a jack-to-jack (male to female) extension cable for my sustain pedal - but it does not work. I tried it a few times (taking it off and back on). No hope.

I have no idea why?

There are two black lines on my original jack pedal cable (meaning 3 poles) and that's what i bought for the extension. Not working. Without the extension, original short cable works fine.
Any ideas why?
From your description it ought to work. Is this a quarter-inch (6.3 mm) TRS plug/jack? Tip, then Ring, then Sleeve?

If you do not have a multimeter to check the extension cable, do you have headphones with quarter-inch plug? You could plug the headphones thru the extension cable to a headphone output, and play some "blindingly obvious easy to hear" stereo material. Compare-listen to discover if you hear the exact-same stereo sound either
_1 Direct-connecting the headphones.
_2 Or connecting via the extension cable.

If you hear exactly the same thing either way. Same Left on the Left phones and same Right on the Right phones, I don't know what to advise-- It ought to work. The only issue could be that there are sometimes tiny size disagreements between 6.3 mm plugs and quarter-inch plugs, so that maybe not a good connection is being made either between pedal plug and extension cable jack, or between extension cable plug and destination keyboard/device jack.

If you only hear one side thru the extension cable then that means the extension cable is bad on one of the two circuit connections.

If yhou hear Mono thru the extension cable rather than stereo then it means the extension cable is either bad/shorted, or it is intentionally designed to merge stereo to dual-mono.

If you hear Left/Right switched sides on direct headphone connection vs extension cable, then it means the extension cable is bad because it is mis-wired and swapping tip for sleeve and vice-versa in its wiring. There are a few "incompatible standard" ways that keyboards and pedals can be wired to use three-wire variable resistance pedals. If the tip and sleeve wiring connection is swapped it could make your pedal partially or totally incompatible with the keyboard which it previously worked fine.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”