Moog One ... my wallet just went up in flames.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:tu:
:borg:

And she's here ...

Here's a held drone chord of the init patch through the MF-103 Phaser. Having some trouble figuring out the inserts if you want stereo ... https://soundcloud.com/jmcecil/init-and-phaser

If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

FWIW the keybed is tremendous

sure is purty :)
rsp
sound sculptist

I will say this on KVR...One does sounds and stands absolutely fabulous yet a decent PC with the latest plugs can get you there as well IMO.

yul wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:58 pm I will say this on KVR...One does sounds and stands absolutely fabulous yet a decent PC with the latest plugs can get you there as well IMO.
Actually no. Not in person. The One and most Analog synths have more presence. I think by the time it gets recorded the differences are slight. But in the room, they are not the same. Also, as I've said before, the playing experience is completely different and still light years ahead of using VSTi. Especially the One, which pretty much has an ideal hybrid approach to the interface and the best synth keybed I've ever played.

The hyperbole here is only topped by Apple.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

BMoore wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:39 pm The hyperbole here is only topped by Apple.
Enjoy your superior freeware, i'll enjoy my inferior hardware.

SJ_Digriz wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:43 pm
BMoore wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:39 pm The hyperbole here is only topped by Apple.
Enjoy your superior freeware, i'll enjoy my inferior hardware.
I'm 100% sure I would also enjoy your INFERIOR hardware ... I would not want to be spoilt by superior software, now, would I...
BTW, how is the total experience... are you RTFM, from cover to cover?

Yep, read the entire manual. In reality it isn't that difficult. There's just a lot. The hardest thing has been gain staging because of the 3 synth architecture. It seems a lot of the "tone" harshness at the high end and noise floor are caused by people trying to treat it as a moog monosynth. Although the 3 timbre architecture is actually awesome, it has created a learning curve from a mix management standpoint. They made a lot of design choices based on the 3 timbre configuration. It just doesn't work like a normal poly with stack, split and layer. Especially from a VCA to output standpoint.

But, the access to things and how they are laid out is pretty much excellent. I have a few minor things, like wishing the dest and more buttons on the VCA and Output were on the left of the knobs (they are on the far top right of the One making them hard to push without hitting the knobs). But other than some really minor stuff like that, they got it right.

I will say the digital effects are anywhere from meh to terrible. I currently don't use them pending potential updates. I think if you were gigging, The modulation and reverb ones would be fine and ultra convenient. But, in a studio I have superior VST options across the board, not to mention how much better my pedals and outboard gear is .. even digital. For example Stryman Big Sky and an H9 Max. The supposedly identical algorithm sounds better going through the inserts to the H9 than the ones in the Master effect section of the One.

I would love to hear more ethereal pad heavy demos if anyone has come across one. There's seems to be a lot potential in that area given the specs.

SJ_Digriz wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:13 pm Yep, read the entire manual. In reality it isn't that difficult. There's just a lot. The hardest thing has been gain staging because of the 3 synth architecture. It seems a lot of the "tone" harshness at the high end and noise floor are caused by people trying to treat it as a moog monosynth. Although the 3 timbre architecture is actually awesome, it has created a learning curve from a mix management standpoint. They made a lot of design choices based on the 3 timbre configuration. It just doesn't work like a normal poly with stack, split and layer. Especially from a VCA to output standpoint.

But, the access to things and how they are laid out is pretty much excellent. I have a few minor things, like wishing the dest and more buttons on the VCA and Output were on the left of the knobs (they are on the far top right of the One making them hard to push without hitting the knobs). But other than some really minor stuff like that, they got it right.
Yes, I always imagined it would be a challenge but you make some interesting observations about the gain staging. I guess like any instrument you need to tune your self to it's nuances. Earlier in this post (or was it another) you posted a soundcloud thingy.. I also noted you had some modular stuff up there, including, I think a {damm I forgot the exact name}, like YuSynth modular.. so my question is then, how does routing and gain staging compare with H/W modular stuff. I can't justify getting The_One (though I have thought about it... 8 voice is gonna be about £6,000 in UK) but would love to know how crazy one can patch the thing. As to knobs not in your preferred place, when are they?... nah.. just an inch or 2 to the left, oh and that one right over there>> works for me BUT maybe not you.. LIFE!!!! :P

SJ_Digriz wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:25 pm I will say the digital effects are anywhere from meh to terrible. I currently don't use them pending potential updates. I think if you were gigging, The modulation and reverb ones would be fine and ultra convenient. But, in a studio I have superior VST options across the board, not to mention how much better my pedals and outboard gear is .. even digital. For example Stryman Big Sky and an H9 Max. The supposedly identical algorithm sounds better going through the inserts to the H9 than the ones in the Master effect section of the One.
This does surprise me, especially the Eventide ones. In general I prefer dedicated FX.. but did think the Eventide would be .. well Eventide... How I loved the original Harmonizer way back.. nothing like it.
I also got involved with radio and TV commercials and tried some tape speed up on voice and then pitched down with Harmonizer.. mixed results... turn the music sound bed up.. almost good to go.. :lol:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”