MICROPHONES

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

We´ve got two guitars,two voices and a bass.
Then a drum kit,and we dont know which microphones we need to use.
Which mics and distances do you recommend me?
Thank you
Jon Costas

What's the budget?

I'm Jon's partner and The budget that we have is very escarce it is about 500 to 1000 euros :ud:

But we already have some materials:

-"Behringer eurodesk mx8000"

-Bass Drum (B.D)
Audio Technica ATM25 o TBONE (set up)

-Snare
Sennheiser 421 o 57(UP)
2 a 10cm

-Snare (S.N. DOWN)
Shure SM57 o pinza (DOWN)
5 a 5 cm down in the snare

-Tom
Akg 418 o 421
8 a 10cm

-Floor tom (Floor T.)
Akg 418 o 421
8 a 10 cm

-HI HAT
(Hi Hat)
Audio Technica AT4041
2 a 20 cm

-Overhead L (O.H. L)
C1000 o 4033

-Overhead R (O.H. R)
C1000 o 4033

Vocal mic: Shure SM58. Never can go wrong on that. Suggested distance: eat it!

Guitar amp mic: Sennheiser e609. Suspend it on it's cable in front of the speaker with some duct tape at the top of the cabinet, saves you a mic stand.

Bass: use the DI output of the amp.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

jonatansciv wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:18 pm I'm Jon's partner and The budget that we have is very escarce it is about 500 to 1000 euros :ud:

But we already have some materials:

-"Behringer eurodesk mx8000"

-Bass Drum (B.D)
Audio Technica ATM25 o TBONE (set up)

etc...
OK You've covered your drums, and I assume you're micing for the studio, not live. I'd agree with the Shure SM58/57 recommendation for general purpose mic needs. They're very cheap and very tough and they do the job. But you're going to need one good condensor for your lead vocalist (can't go wrong with Rhode on your budget) and maybe a good but cheap sorry inexpensive ribbon to put in front of your amps. T Bone and MXL are good at the price level.

You're going to need to budget in stands, cables and isolation (can't sing in the same studio space as a drum kit).

Distance is compromise between proximity (bassy and breathy) versus bleed and the natural volume of the singers. Kate Bush it's 3mm, Edith Piaf it's Cleveland.

The thing with microphone recommending is it's a bit like gunslinging. There's allways somebody faster and there's always the Bergmental RD9987265/D Red Series for $64,000 that sounds soooo much better. Look for tough, good and cheap.

BertKoor wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:00 pm Vocal mic: Shure SM58. Never can go wrong on that. Suggested distance: eat it!

Guitar amp mic: Sennheiser e609. Suspend it on it's cable in front of the speaker with some duct tape at the top of the cabinet, saves you a mic stand.

Bass: use the DI output of the amp.
Except hurry and get the e906 instead of the e609 while it's on sale right now for $90 off of retail and so is actually cheaper than the e609 and is a much better mic.

Bonus, it will give you another choice for a vocal mic that has a nice presence boost around 4k.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”