Your favourite synth for "accidental" programming of patches?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Great suggestions folks, thanks.

So Clavia has been there before A1 then. A lot of good thinking among those guys.

I heard a lot of good stuff about NM G2 when I found NL2X I bought.
I found one G2 at very high price as I recall. In great demand probably.

Waldorf Q noted too.

Deep Purple wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:14 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:51 pm
Deep Purple wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:48 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:44 pm getting my gf to patch the modular.
Is that some kind of euphemism?
i will have you know, i was 100% on topic, im not in the habit of going off topic. even if i do get blamed for "the wanton and absolute destruction" of everything.
I’ll take that as a “yes” then :lol:
nooooooo :cry:

Nord Micromodular is a bit more affordable than other Clavia synths but just as much fun for creating "random" sounds. I like the Dreadbox Abyss for coming up with unexpected sounds too. The modulation can sweep through the oscillator waveforms.

Another cool thing to do to get unexpected sequences is to send random (or not so random) program changes with each note to synths.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:44 pm Nord Micromodular is a bit more affordable than other Clavia synths but just as much fun for creating "random" sounds. I like the Dreadbox Abyss for coming up with unexpected sounds too. The modulation can sweep through the oscillator waveforms.
It doesn't have the advanced mutation and patch evolution features though, those were only added to the G2 a few years after it was released.

Another few mentions: VST Preset Generator: https://vst-preset-generator.org/about

And Lennar Digital Sylenth1 actually has a randomize feature in its menu.

And most if not all of MeldaProduction effects have random functions within them, which is extremely useful for getting creative results.
<List your stupid gear here>

Most if not all of Home Grown's synths have randomizers.
https://hgsounds.com/product-category/shop/
and their group buy is very reasonable.
Kontakt is required.

Quite a few vst instruments seem to embrace the "accident" creative part - thanks for all suggestions.

Summary so far as hardware
Nord Lead A1
Nord Modulator (have not checked if both G1 and G2)
Waldorf Q

and to some degree flexibility at least in Nord Micromodular, if not "accident" so much.

Nord Lead A1 and some on parameter mutations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfzVCOBNp9Y

Overall flexibility and easy to create dynamic dependencies of parameters, Morph as they call it but really is crossmodulation in other terms(on velocity and mod wheel).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fwuH0p6RVw

This ability is there in my Nord Lead 2X as well, but A1 extend to separate for velocity and mod wheel doing both simulataneously as I understand it.

Most interesting part that modern synths allow is cross modulation and making character to how sound respond to key touch. That makes each patch like its own instrument, kind of. Very expressive.

Spent many hours in KingKorg doing these 6 vritual patches but is overly cumbersome in comparison with how Nord thought it out.

Virus TI2

Even the accidents sound good.

Bass Station II

delete

I know this is the hardware dept., but since others have mentioned software, the first time I came across patch "breeding" was Green Oak's Crystal. SynPlant was designed to be intuitive for creating new sounds, too.
Music can no longer soothe the worried thoughts of monarchs; it can only tell you when it's time to buy margarine or copulate. -xoxos
Discontinue use if rash or irritation develops.

The Prophet VS also had a random patch generator.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

egbert101 wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:32 pm Another few mentions: VST Preset Generator: https://vst-preset-generator.org/about

And Lennar Digital Sylenth1 actually has a randomize feature in its menu.

And most if not all of MeldaProduction effects have random functions within them, which is extremely useful for getting creative results.
I have never found a preset generator that made good presets.
Its like computer software that writes music, its never very good.

CircuitEYE wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:36 am
I have never found a preset generator that made good presets.
Its like computer software that writes music, its never very good.
I see it as assistance to generate a new starting point that might never come up otherwise. Not close to a final preset.

In case of Nordlead - there is about 25 knobs - but it takes time to make one "accidental" move and varied number of knobs touched. Nordlead A1 had various modes for doing this - for all parameters by percentage, or chosen parameters on random and such things - and each done in a sec, just repeating until seeing something worth noting. In A1 you have a Like button - that push current to one of 50 memory locations, like a circular queue(but volatile memory gone when turned off).

It can boost process of making your own sounds.

Thanks for all input on this.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”