Behringer Brophet 5

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:49 pm
AnX wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:55 pmis that the prototype or final release version?
Surprisingly, the unit became available in stores at some point. I don't belong into the category of people who get sponsored a preview version, temporary or not.

Bought it in hope to sound correct (it does) so in our next incarnation of emus I can be as violent as I was with the Pro-Ones (and a poor, gutted Crumar Trilogy which served as organ chip-donor)
i dont even know what it is, i thought it was a behringer thingy...

AnX wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:02 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:42 pm
i may get out and do some live bits again.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuKGqmnH1P1 ... psqx8nmmwz
:lol:

AnX wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:04 pm
AnX wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:55 pmis that the prototype or final release version?
Surprisingly, the unit became available in stores at some point. I don't belong into the category of people who get sponsored a preview version, temporary or not.

Bought it in hope to sound correct (it does) so in our next incarnation of emus I can be as violent as I was with the Pro-Ones (and a poor, gutted Crumar Trilogy which served as organ chip-donor)
Yes, it is. But it isn't a prototype. I bought it. Final version. Brand new. Corners cut. Cheap. Expendable. Part donor, if required.

Can't really speak about the past stuff, but the build quality on the Crave, Odyssey, MS-101, VC340 and RD-808 looks extremely good for the money, at least from what I've seen and heard on youtube. And they're not final versions yet. And sound and value for money, can't complain.
<List your stupid gear here>

Urs wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:17 pm

Yes, it is. But it isn't a prototype. I bought it. Final version. Brand new. Corners cut. Cheap. Expendable. Part donor, if required.
so it's a...?

vurt wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:10 pm
AnX wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:02 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:42 pm
i may get out and do some live bits again.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuKGqmnH1P1 ... psqx8nmmwz
:lol:

i can see it now, a hipster picnic, modulars, pimms and quinoa :hihi:

AnX wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:48 pm
Urs wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:17 pm

so it's a...?
Sorry if it wasn't clear... here's the train of thought in compact form:
egbert101 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:50 pm[...] Model D [...] cutting corners [...]
Urs wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:23 pmbmoog_print.jpg

Who knows where cutting corners ends? [...]
Also note the name of the pic, which has a "b" and a "moog" right there.

The pic is not that of a prototype, by "prototype" I guess people mean clones of the SH-101 or the Pro-One, both of which would look rather different on a photo detail.

ah ok, the model d clone

so, how does it compare to an original in your eyes/ears (mainly ears, obviously) and forgiving the usual excuses of "every unit sounds diff" escape clause....?

AnX wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:06 pm ah ok, the model d clone

so, how does it compare to an original in your eyes/ears (mainly ears, obviously) and forgiving the usual excuses of "every unit sounds diff" escape clause....?
It sounds really good. Could be a Minimoog, sound-wise.

My escape clause: Playing it with a weighted keyboard is shit. I don't like desktop synths, I dislike them nearly as much as rackmount ones.

Well, they have to cut corners... :hihi:

I can see the point about the knobs though. They seem really fiddly.

chk071 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:16 pm Well, they have to cut corners... :hihi:

I can see the point about the knobs though. They seem really fiddly.
And they're really hard to turn. It makes the unit feel quite valuable (yep!), but it may be counter productive for the kind of performance that people associate Minimoogs with. Fast wubwubs aren't possible with gentle hands.

If Behringer made a compact Eurorack version of the Prophet 5 at a low price with the same sound, I think it would sell like crazy, and would be used for years to come.

But... I do think something much the same form and size and quality (or better) makes it feel more like an instrument, or makes it feel playable. There is a good reason why other instruments (especially accoustic) are as aesthetically pleasing as much as they sound pleasing. Sometimes it isn't always about utility, and I do believe that cutting too many corners may be a compromise too far.

Having said that, as a non-musician, it doesn't really make a difference to me.
<List your stupid gear here>

There's nothing to hate about the Behr Model D (and I and others have tried). Disagree, if it had a keybed attached and was larger/heavier it would've been a con. The pots and switching feels great. As is now it fits easily with my SQ80, ESQ1, or EPS16+, and all the other controllers. That's the way I want it. Looking forward to more from Uli/Behr. Bring on the Brophet.

I have a (damn near mint) '79 Model D next to the Bher Model D quite often - the differences as I mentioned are minutia. But, the Behr offers a high-pass switch, MIDI of course with CH address ability, imo a bit better setup array for controllers (I don't prefer the springless pitch wheel of old), and is juuuuust the right size.
Bam - no need to risk and bring vintage Model D out of studios where they belong.

Urs wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:13 pm

It sounds really good. Could be a Minimoog, sound-wise.

My escape clause: Playing it with a weighted keyboard is shit. I don't like desktop synths, I dislike them nearly as much as rackmount ones.
same here, it has to have a kybd. Thats why some of their stuff is off my wishlist, but things like crave and neutron may just prove too tempting....

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”