my QuNexus is getting sticky

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

like tar or black licorice. Is this normal? (though it doesn't taste sweet like licorice or bitter like tar). I never keep it in the sun. I have had it since it was released, but never clean it with any liquid. I just dust it with a clean cloth. I have used a Swiffer on it til I found out they are toxic. Just wondering if this is happening to anyone else and makes me wonder what may happen one day to my Roli Seaboard. They seem to be made from the same silicone type material.

Some rubber materials have that effect in combination with skin fat. I already had that with a couple of computer mice. The surface gets sticky, and decomposes. I didn't expect that on some higher quality controller devices though.

chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:56 am Some rubber materials have that effect in combination with skin fat. I already had that with a couple of computer mice. The surface gets sticky, and decomposes. I didn't expect that on some higher quality controller devices though.
o wow, thanks. Didn't know that could happen!

This happened to my Qunexus as well. Looking into Skins for it.
The MPC Live has the same sort of rubber on it, but there are multiple retailers that sells skins for the MPC Live thankfully.

The Roli is Silicone rubber, it should be fine.

yes, same here:
the black rubber has become quite sticky, but not the white keys

also most of my arturia (rubber-) knobs, minibrute/microbrute/beatstep, have become slightly sticky...

Makes me realize not to buy things made of that cheap soft rubber. I've got two 35 year old synths here with no issues, and the 6 year old Qunexus is a mess.

machinesworking wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:20 am Makes me realize not to buy things made of that cheap soft rubber. I've got two 35 year old synths here with no issues, and the 6 year old Qunexus is a mess.
I got the K-Board 4 Pro and the keys are made out of silicone which I hope will hold up better. Keys feel more dense and solid. It doesn't say on the website what the keys are made of in the QuNexus...

killmaster wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:15 pm
machinesworking wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:20 am Makes me realize not to buy things made of that cheap soft rubber. I've got two 35 year old synths here with no issues, and the 6 year old Qunexus is a mess.
I got the K-Board 4 Pro and the keys are made out of silicone which I hope will hold up better. Keys feel more dense and solid. It doesn't say on the website what the keys are made of in the QuNexus...
Yeah the keys themselves are fine on the Qunexus, it's the coating on the black plastic that's trashed. :?

IIRC I used a little rubbing alcohol on my hardware's wheels and that fixed it.

Examigan wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 4:31 pm IIRC I used a little rubbing alcohol on my hardware's wheels and that fixed it.
Hardware wheels are again likely siliconized rubber, some manufacturers decide a thin rubber coating over the entire case was a good idea. QuNexus has this is issue, and rubbing alcohol barely works. took me about an hour to get the bulk of it off the face, still need to do the back.

Same issue here!
Cleaning alcohol only makes it more sticky!
Yikes what a crapshoot.

Starting to dislike Keith. First 2 out of 3 Boppads are busted, now this sticky issue.
Great to play the working ones though.

My Boppad has the same issue, the black border gets sticky...

Ugh, I am having the same problem, and thinking I could clean off the dust that had stuck to the sticky rubber, I used my old trick of using packing tape to pull off the dust and it made it much WORSE by adding the sticky residue of the packing tape to the already sticky rubber. Has anyone come up with a solution?

I would try these instructions. I'm no chemist, but I think the key is making sure you have the right solvent -- which seems to be denatured alcohol or methylated spirits. While rubbing alcohol (typically known as surgical spirit in the UK) contains isopropyl, it's not 90%. Whatever you try, start with a small spot in an inconspicuous location on the controller/device.

https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Cl ... cky-Rubber

Good luck, and please let us know if you have some success.

I got my Bopad cleaned that way, but now its a no-name product, all the letters vanished as well...

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”