KORG Minilogue XD Desktop Module

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:01 pm
.jon wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:02 amI think the cheap, basic mini keyboard did not do any justice for the synth itself, just wasting studio space, so this module is more interesting- but it could still use one more voice.
I bought the XD but immediately hated the tiny keys and returned it in the return window. I thought the synth itself was quite good and appreciated the FX as well. Never got to explore it that much.
Now you can just buy the module :tu: V2 has some interesting performance updates as well (not sure when you tried it), the ones that stand out for me are:

Key triggers for the sequencer. You can create a sequence and transpose it anywhere on the keyboard with a single note

Active step function that lets you add or remove steps from a sequence while you perform. You can control the arpeggiator's speed and gate time, too. And if you often like to revert back to earlier settings, an original value view lets you see where those settings were and quickly dial your knobs back.

2.1 added MIDI CCs for Joystick and CV IN and assigning Joystick/CV to the Multi-Engine SHAPE parameter

Supports also for MIDI aftertouch so you can plug it in any keyboard you like and get full sized keys and aftertouch :tu:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:11 pm
pdxindy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:01 pm
I bought the XD but immediately hated the tiny keys and returned it in the return window. I thought the synth itself was quite good and appreciated the FX as well. Never got to explore it that much.
Now you can just buy the module :tu: V2 has some interesting performance updates as well (not sure when you tried it), the ones that stand out for me are:
I was traveling overseas and ended up staying in one place for 6 months. So I bought a few things to have a little studio while there. The XD was one of them. Here at home, I just don't need it as I have lots of gear.

Yup- I have no excuse whatsoever for ordering an XD, I just like synths and lockdown has me at home a lot!

I will probably sell my Electron A4 (unless I hate the XD and and return it). I don't use the A4 much anymore and I have a 1 in 1 out policy, a bit of gear recycling can be fun!

This was the video that made me press the buy button (that and the B stock price!)

https://youtu.be/pgo15pMzBEw
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:55 pm Yup- I have no excuse whatsoever for ordering an XD, I just like synths and lockdown has me at home a lot!

I will probably sell my Electron A4 (unless I hate the XD and and return it). I don't use the A4 much anymore and I have a 1 in 1 out policy, a bit of gear recycling can be fun!

This was the video that made me press the buy button (that and the B stock price!)
Is your A4 a MKI or MKII... I almost put my Analog Keys up for sale but decided to keep it. There are some lead sounds I have using the joystick which just do it for me.

pdxindy wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:43 pm
SLiC wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:55 pm Yup- I have no excuse whatsoever for ordering an XD, I just like synths and lockdown has me at home a lot!

Is your A4 a MKI or MKII... I almost put my Analog Keys up for sale but decided to keep it. There are some lead sounds I have using the joystick which just do it for me.
MK1 - the box not keys, currently in a double stand with my RYTM - look great as a pair and I use my RTYM a lot (keeper!) but tend to use my Eurorack more for the things I used to do with the A4 (which actually led me in to Euro with the CV sequencing)...I was just keeping it for sequencing, but I have also ordered an OXI One...i think I have enough sequencers with that.

lfm wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:31 pmI would be suprised if XD did not have what Prologue have
- knob value shown in display as you tweak it
- a star in front of value and arrows show where the stored value of current preset is
Of course it does but that doesn't allow you to look at the front panel and know how the patch was made, nor does it allow you to just grab a knob and twist, which are the only two reasons I can see to to have knob-per-function.
So coming back to a preset, you can dial in what is stored nicely and continue working on it - and separate knobs for each envelope makes all the difference.
Why? I find it easier to have the four knobs in Uno that become ADSR in the exact same place, and just swap between them with a button press.
Personally I do a lot of fine tuning envelopes with one hand on attack on amp and other on filter - to find sweetspot. Just have arpeggiator running to hear as you tweak. I go by ear alone for this.
How else would you go?
Same with decay and envelope amount and frequency cutoff.
What you get is highly dependent on relationship between these.
- increase envelope amount but lower frequency a bit
- the dynamic transistion makes all the difference for me
- sometimes a very narrow range to like or indifference
Absolutely but, the thing is, it's no harder on Uno or Uno Pro than it is on something like a Minilogue. In fact, I find it easier because everything is right there in front of me, there's no moving around from place to place on the interface. (I'm a lyricist, rhyming comes naturally to me.)
I saw this comparison between DeepMind and Juno 106, and just for having separate sliders for envelopes would make you take Juno.
Except the Juno 106 only has one envelope, so only one set of ADSR sliders.
Press a button and then tweak knob, and press to other envelope and tweak knob again - ruins the fun for me.
If I want to have fun, I'll find a dog to kick, patching synths is pure tedium.
And to even compare a paraphonic where envelopes are shared among keys pressed as a chord is just weird, like on Uno Pro or any paraphonic. Doing an arpeggiated chord, all keys down at end - useless. Envelopes are already gone and the other keys are on/off - at sustain point.
You know, I'd have said the same thing, although for different reasons, before I got my Uno Pro but playing some of the paraphonic patches has completely changed my mind. Especially ones that use cool tricks like making the second oscillator an octave higher/lower. Unexpected stuff like that is much more like fun to me. My problem with using Rocket or Pulse 2 in paraphonic mode was how much weaker the sound was but that is a total non-issue with Uno Pro. I have more than one synth so not being able to play chords normally is a total non-issue for me. (I'd only ever hold a bass note and play a riff over it, I never play proper chords.)
Envelopes are such a vital part IMO.
Depends what you are doing, most of the time I have my amp envelope completely open and let the filter envelope do all the work. That's how I deal with Juno 106 only having one envelope - I use it for the filter and set the VCA to GATE. Doesn't work for pads, though (no release).
SLiC wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:55 pmThis was the video that made me press the buy button (that and the B stock price!) https://youtu.be/pgo15pMzBEw
I saw the B stock price yesterday, too, but wasn't yet tempted (shipping is $150 to Australia). If anything, that video puts me off because I have less than no interest in searching for and installing extra waveforms or effects set-ups. I want everything to be in the box when I buy it so I can get to work on patching it. The video also reminded me that the filter on Minilogue is LP only, which is definitely off-putting. I still have to sit down and nut out which filter set-ups on Uno Pro will give me bandpass and notch filters but I've always enjoyed a good modulated notch filter, like the one that comes in at 3:27 in this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig-O-cBgHgE
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:56 am
lfm wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:31 pmI would be suprised if XD did not have what Prologue have
- knob value shown in display as you tweak it
- a star in front of value and arrows show where the stored value of current preset is
Of course it does but that doesn't allow you to look at the front panel and know how the patch was made, nor does it allow you to just grab a knob and twist, which are the only two reasons I can see to to have knob-per-function.
So coming back to a preset, you can dial in what is stored nicely and continue working on it - and separate knobs for each envelope makes all the difference.
Why? I find it easier to have the four knobs in Uno that become ADSR in the exact same place, and just swap between them with a button press.
Personally I do a lot of fine tuning envelopes with one hand on attack on amp and other on filter - to find sweetspot. Just have arpeggiator running to hear as you tweak. I go by ear alone for this.
How else would you go?
Same with decay and envelope amount and frequency cutoff.
What you get is highly dependent on relationship between these.
- increase envelope amount but lower frequency a bit
- the dynamic transistion makes all the difference for me
- sometimes a very narrow range to like or indifference
Absolutely but, the thing is, it's no harder on Uno or Uno Pro than it is on something like a Minilogue. In fact, I find it easier because everything is right there in front of me, there's no moving around from place to place on the interface. (I'm a lyricist, rhyming comes naturally to me.)
Buttons to select and just alter one envelope at a time is not even close to having both hands free to alter both envelopes at the same time - going left/right with either hand on a knob on either envelope.

Suddenly you pass a sweetspot you did not know about before. How amp and filter intersect is interesting.

Display and value I only use to make panel match what is stored as a starting point.

Seems you go by values rather than by ear.
If I want to have fun, I'll find a dog to kick, patching synths is pure tedium.
That explains a lot.

Exploring every corner what a synth offers is an interesting journey for me.
Some sounds you are inspired by and even become foundation for a song or music idea. That is also why polysynths are vital and much more useful to me to actually play pianostyle than sequencing monosynths.

Different strokes.....

lfm wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:37 amButtons to select and just alter one envelope at a time is not even close to having both hands free to alter both envelopes at the same time - going left/right with either hand on a knob on either envelope.
What sort of wanker does shit like that? I'd be playing the keys with one hand and adjusting with the other. The buttons on Uno Pro are very conveniently positioned so you can adjust values with your left hand and use your pinkie finger to press the buttons.
Suddenly you pass a sweetspot you did not know about before.
No you don't. Amp envelopes don't really produce or contribute to sweet spots in my experience.
How amp and filter intersect is interesting.
No, it's not, it's completely predictable.
Not at all. I will often round values off once I'm in the vicinity but most of the time I am oblivious to them.
Some sounds you are inspired by and even become foundation for a song or music idea.
Yes, all the time, but that doesn't make it an enjoyable part of the process in and of itself. In fact, the only part of the process I enjoy is the end of it. Every part of writing, arranging, recording and producing is hard, boring work. It's like building a house or rebuilding an engine - the satisfaction you get from the finished product comes from the hard work and tedium you put yourself through to get there. If every part of the process was a barrel of laughs, there wouldn't be anything like the level of satisfaction in the finished piece, no mater how well it turns out.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:56 am I saw the B stock price yesterday, too, but wasn't yet tempted (shipping is $150 to Australia). If anything, that video puts me off because I have less than no interest in searching for and installing extra waveforms or effects set-ups.
Don't but the NTS-1 then! Rabbit hole of stuff (especially the fx you can load in). Personally I love the fact that hardware can now be as updatable and flexible as software....some 3rd party developer comes up with some genius new oscillator and you don't have to but a new synths, just upload it!

Fortunately shipping to the UK was free, so I am glad to have snagged it as there don't seem to be any around in the shops :D

(PS- Running my UNO through the NTS-1 now so, it sounds fantastic!)

BONES wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:06 am
lfm wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:37 amButtons to select and just alter one envelope at a time is not even close to having both hands free to alter both envelopes at the same time - going left/right with either hand on a knob on either envelope.
What sort of wanker does shit like that? I'd be playing the keys with one hand and adjusting with the other. The buttons on Uno Pro are very conveniently positioned so you can adjust values with your left hand and use your pinkie finger to press the buttons.
Suddenly you pass a sweetspot you did not know about before.
No you don't. Amp envelopes don't really produce or contribute to sweet spots in my experience.
How amp and filter intersect is interesting.
No, it's not, it's completely predictable.
Not at all. I will often round values off once I'm in the vicinity but most of the time I am oblivious to them.
Some sounds you are inspired by and even become foundation for a song or music idea.
Yes, all the time, but that doesn't make it an enjoyable part of the process in and of itself. In fact, the only part of the process I enjoy is the end of it. Every part of writing, arranging, recording and producing is hard, boring work. It's like building a house or rebuilding an engine - the satisfaction you get from the finished product comes from the hard work and tedium you put yourself through to get there. If every part of the process was a barrel of laughs, there wouldn't be anything like the level of satisfaction in the finished piece, no mater how well it turns out.
Well, if you kept amp open and just use filter, you just discovered a fraction of what is there to discover.

If you on top of that also have curve settings for envelopes you get even more to pick from.

I found interesting stuff with amp being just slightly slower or faster than filter in part of transition to sustain level - either in attack or decay part.

If you got pitch envelope as well, even more to pick and choose from.

When sustain is at zero for filter on Prologue making pitch envelope slightly negative gives a certain ooomppfff. Haven't checked if there in Minilogue.

And negative lfo to pitch start with negative period also brings things that interest me. Tiny amount lfo only.

This is what makes you experiment with guitar+pedals+amp too, to find the spot that speaks to you.

But the journey is boring to you, that is kind of sad. Life is a journey, and it's like the only thing you are interested in is end result - death. All weird to me loving the full process. In your defence I don't have a deadline to be ready, I can let it linger as I please. :)

You've been using synths for a long time, and use so little of what it offers. It's probably 15+ years ago I used your Neokiller, and think it was one of the first VST synths I used. Some other synthedit based too, a P600(some other guy) that I got some nice sounds out of.

So with great anticipation I alook forward to Behringer Pro 800 to be released to get the real thing.

BONES wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:56 am Except the Juno 106 only has one envelope, so only one set of ADSR sliders.
Really?
https://www.roland.com/us/products/rc_juno-106/

Time flies. I remember we only got a good bass from it haha those were the days :)

lfm wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:07 am
BONES wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:56 am Except the Juno 106 only has one envelope, so only one set of ADSR sliders.
Really?
https://www.roland.com/us/products/rc_juno-106/
Only RC version has the extra envelope.

I like that the Y access of the joystick can be mapped to 2 separate things- up from centre can be filter, down can be say Reverb depth...nice. That V2 update certainly seems to have made it more live sequencing 'performance' orientated.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”