So I bought Trueno synth.. And here's the review!

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"Dicked around" how, exactly? Windows 10 is every bit as "pro" as any version of Windows ever released, probably moreso in that it is much better at putting the most important things at your fingertips. That it also includes some more consumer-focussed add-ons is irrelevant to a real pro, who will know how to ignore that stuff and focus on what's important.
Zero dB wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:30 amYou can't have a foolprof pro system that automatically makes significant changes that screw up drivers etc whenever MS feels like it. I run it on my laptop and see this happening all the time.
No you don't, I reckon that's just a flat-out lie. I run beta versions all the time, on the Insider Slow Ring, and I never see any of that. No update has ever done anything at all to any driver on my system that stopped anything from working or required me to take any action and I'd be surprised if I didn't have more exotic drivers installed than you. e.g. Elektron Overbridge, Trueno and half-a-dozen different USB I/O devices. A few times drivers have had to reinstall themselves when I connected something but it was all automatic and took mere seconds. The worst thing that ever happened to me was that an update changed the drive letter on my microSD card from E to D, which took me exactly 10 seconds to rectify. Other than that it's all been smooth sailing since I got back on the Slow Ring a couple of years ago.
It's all well documented. Maybe you're using yours offline. Online, it's a disaster.
No, it is anything but, and I am using it online 100% of the time. Even if there are a million users having issues, that represents just 0.1% of users overall, which means that 99.9% of us are having no problems at all. And it's unlikely that anywhere near a million users are having problems, so it's even less significant. I think there are more than a million Insiders, so every new version has been tested by a million pro users before it gets a public release. What other software in history has had such a massive beta test programme to draw upon?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Tbh I've never had any issues with W10. Once I had to re-download Valhalla license because it mysteriously vanished after windows update.

I also use Win10 professional so it's not holding my hand all the time like home version would.

AFAIK, Home and Pro are pretty much the same. It's just you get a few more/better network tools with Pro. I don't even know which I am running.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:04 am "Dicked around" how, exactly? Windows 10 is every bit as "pro" as any version of Windows ever released, probably moreso in that it is much better at putting the most important things at your fingertips. That it also includes some more consumer-focussed add-ons is irrelevant to a real pro, who will know how to ignore that stuff and focus on what's important.
Zero dB wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:30 amYou can't have a foolprof pro system that automatically makes significant changes that screw up drivers etc whenever MS feels like it. I run it on my laptop and see this happening all the time.
No you don't, I reckon that's just a flat-out lie. I run beta versions all the time, on the Insider Slow Ring, and I never see any of that. No update has ever done anything at all to any driver on my system that stopped anything from working or required me to take any action and I'd be surprised if I didn't have more exotic drivers installed than you. e.g. Elektron Overbridge, Trueno and half-a-dozen different USB I/O devices. A few times drivers have had to reinstall themselves when I connected something but it was all automatic and took mere seconds. The worst thing that ever happened to me was that an update changed the drive letter on my microSD card from E to D, which took me exactly 10 seconds to rectify. Other than that it's all been smooth sailing since I got back on the Slow Ring a couple of years ago.
It's all well documented. Maybe you're using yours offline. Online, it's a disaster.
No, it is anything but, and I am using it online 100% of the time. Even if there are a million users having issues, that represents just 0.1% of users overall, which means that 99.9% of us are having no problems at all. And it's unlikely that anywhere near a million users are having problems, so it's even less significant. I think there are more than a million Insiders, so every new version has been tested by a million pro users before it gets a public release. What other software in history has had such a massive beta test programme to draw upon?
Go and troll someone else – I’m not having a discussion with someone who aggressively accuses me of lying. My choice of OS seems to have made you very angry. Or you just want to argue and bully someone and today it happens to be me. I’m not interested.

I came here to discuss Trueno, pointing out I got it working on Win 7 to the poster who’d quoted the opposite. That’s it.

The net is full of DAW Win 10 discussions – go fight there if it makes you feel good.

Your sheep-like stupidity makes me angry, your choice of OS is merely a symptom of that.

You're now further insulting me for no reason whatsover. You're clearly a nasty piece of work. Get some help.

Kids, keep it civilized please..

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:17 am Kids, keep it civilized please..
seconded
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Ah, the classic "it works for me, so any problems experienced by other people must be their fault". Usually seen in iLok and Waves threads. Rarely ends well.

Windows 10 is great until for some inexplicable reason you turn it on one day and it decides not to boot.

You are then greeted by I - "I am going to try and automatically repair myself".

Only it never does repair itself - and goes into a loop.

This happened to me a few days ago. And despite trying everything to repair it, and wasting the best part of a day, I had to concede defeat and and re-install it with an old out of date backup image. The moral of this story is to remember to make backups regularly or move to Mac or Linux.

I have a 16gb usb stick with win 10 installation media. If something happens, I just boot directly from it and everything systemagically gets fixed.

BONES wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:57 am AFAIK, Home and Pro are pretty much the same. It's just you get a few more/better network tools with Pro. I don't even know which I am running.
You know that Windows 7 was the worst windows (which of course isn't true) but don't even know what version of win 10 you are running ?
says everything....

You know, all you have to do is explain to me what it is that makes Windows 7 better than every other version of Windows and I will happily change my mind. I have given you at least one reason why it's actually the worst but here's a bit of a list with a few more things -

It carried over the Start Menu from Vista, which is easily the worst iteration of Start ever. Why? Because it won't let you place app icons in the quick launch section like XP does, it decides what goes in there and in what order. Massive fail. And instead of intuitive, easy to navigate fly-outs, it put Start's folder structure into an impossibly small window where it was infuriating to try and navigate. To try and bodgey up a fix, they put in a search feature but they never advertised its presence and it was pretty much impossible to discover by yourself, which is another huge fail of the GUI. I spent around 100 hours making a custom desktop launcher in Rainmaker to make up for how bad Vista/Win7's Start is. The reason they came up with such a radical new Start in Windows 8 was because the telemetry they had collected from billions of user keystrokes indicated that use of the Start Menu in Win7 had fallen by as much as 80% for some tasks.

They carried over the re-organised Control Panel from Vista. You know, the one that took all the things you use all the time and hid them away in the middle of the pack, with new names, so you couldn't find them any more. That is something that still trips me up on occasion today, although not often any more as I rarely have to deal with Control Panel at all. At least Settings is a lot more intuitive to navigate and is the same on my phone and all my PCs.

They carried over those hideous, fat window borders from Vista that made some applications virtually unusable. It was so bad that it prompted Synapse Audio to create their own windowing system in Orion, where previously they had relied upon Windows for that stuff. Honestly, it made Orion unusable it was so bad.

They broke Windows Media Player. It stopped looking for new additions to libraries, which made it useless. You might think "so what?" but I still rely on it today to copy music to USB thumb drives for me to listen to in the car because I've never found any other application that can do it. For the year or so I was on Win7, I had no other option but to use Explorer.

Whilst it uses fewer system resources than WinXP, it uses around one-third more than W8 or W10.

So there you go, five different areas, most with multiple issues, that make Win7 the worst version of Windows ever (NT kernel versions, of course).

BTW, I know exactly which version of Windows 10 I am running, it's just that there is absolutely no way I would know just by using it. I only know because I wasn't willing to pay extra for Pro so I got what came standard with the laptop.
dellboy wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:26 amThis happened to me a few days ago. And despite trying everything to repair it, and wasting the best part of a day, I had to concede defeat and and re-install it with an old out of date backup image. The moral of this story is to remember to make backups regularly or move to Mac or Linux.
Or to realise that it is such an unlikely occurrence that it just isn't worth worrying about.

Zero dB wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:29 amYou're now further insulting me for no reason whatsover. You're clearly a nasty piece of work. Get some help.
It's not an insult, simply a reasonable deduction based on my observations. You have presented absolutely no evidence to support your argument, instead relying on safety in numbers to make your claim seem valid.

Surely you have noticed that most people are brainless idiots, jumping on trends like sheep jumping over imaginary obstacles? There is certainly no evidence to suggest that the most popular choices are related to the best choices in any way. If it were otherwise, we'd have to accept ridiculous notions like Justin Bieber being one of the greatest songwriters and entertainers of the era or the Big Mac being the greatest burger ever created, both of which are clearly ludicrous.

BONES wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:09 am Because it won't let you..Massive fail..infuriating to try and navigate..pretty much impossible to discover by yourself, which is another huge fail..so you couldn't find them any more..still trips me up..those hideous, fat window borders..it was so bad...They broke..made it useless..I still rely..I've never found any other application..I had no other option..
Long text full of opinions..

Argument over "what is the best windows" is kinda pointless, especially in Trueno thread.
BONES wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:22 am
Zero dB wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:29 amYou're now further insulting me for no reason whatsover. You're clearly a nasty piece of work. Get some help.
It's not an insult, simply a reasonable deduction based on my observations. You have presented absolutely no evidence to support your argument, instead relying on safety in numbers to make your claim seem valid.

Surely you have noticed that most people are brainless idiots, jumping on trends like sheep jumping over imaginary obstacles? There is certainly no evidence to suggest that the most popular choices are related to the best choices in any way. If it were otherwise, we'd have to accept ridiculous notions like Justin Bieber being one of the greatest songwriters and entertainers of the era or the Big Mac being the greatest burger ever created, both of which are clearly ludicrous.
Even though you might be right, the output of yours is quite aggressive and AFAIK there's options on how you say things.. Instead of calling someone a brainless idiot, you can encourage them to think by themselves from a different point of view. Because generally people think from ME point of view (a nice example is that list of why W7 sucks) and they don't necessarily realize that there's almost 8 billion other views in the world, unless someone politely tells them about it.

Like I said, keep it civilized kids :tu:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”