Roli new... something coming to Kickstarter. Soon. (LUMI)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by yellowmix on Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It seems the idea is clear. Very functional. It's strange that nobody has done it in hardware hitherto.
Last edited by lobanov on Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a Seaboard with transparent membrane on top of LEDs?

I'm guessing they go the HookTheory route and start coloring the scale degrees.

Surprising that they still need Kickstarter to finance the development of new products.

not impressed....all it means is more crap music being generated and thrown out on the web. what happened to musicianship?

Right, so probably a light-up keyboard and a subscription cloud service with lessons and popular songs to learn.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:57 pmSurprising that they still need Kickstarter to finance the development of new products.
Who says they need it? It's probably a really good marketing tool. It certainly seems to work for Modal, who had no trouble doubling their goal on both products they launched that way. It gets people invested in a product, emotionally as well as financially, months before it hits the market so why use your own money when you can sue other people's and hit the ground running into the bargain?
fster wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:58 pm not impressed....all it means is more crap music being generated and thrown out on the web. what happened to musicianship?
Punk! In 1976 so time you got over it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

lobanov wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:13 pm It seems the idea is clear. Very functional. It's strange that nobody hasn't done it in hardware hitherto.
They have, for example the Yamaha EZ220. Pair it with Synthesia and you've got a system for learning to play anything. Unless I'm missing something?

I think these kinds of things are terrible ideas though, if you want to learn to play there are a lot of other options now that will get you playing better and far quicker than the traditional piano keyboard layout. I think the Push or Launchpad are better options for having light-up keys that you can see notes whilst a midi sequence is playing and the custom scale thing means the keyboard layouts can be adapted to make playing easier.

Roli seem lost to me, a catalogue of errors; the Kickstarter thing is bizarre. I understand it with Modal, but Roli have had major VC funding. I think Kickstarter can create good media if an idea is truly novel (like the "Motor Synth", makes for a good story), but if it really is a light-up-keys, learn to play affair it won't be deemed newsworthy.

So... Roli’s investors don’t want to ... invest in the company’s product development...???
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Niowiad wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:19 pm a Seaboard with transparent membrane on top of LEDs?
so a ridge lightpad?
would still want one tho.
fster wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:58 pm not impressed....all it means is more crap music being generated and thrown out on the web. what happened to musicianship?
faster, easier learning probably usually means the opposite of more crap. Now there's crap anyway, at least now more people will learn before hyperproducing?

Here it is - it's called LUMI
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pl ... ref=1vjq8o

basically, it's like Guitar Hero! :lol: :lol:

indeed, things where better when we were kids...

https://youtu.be/6TTmTXGe7Ls

K-Bee wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:18 pm Here it is - it's called LUMI

By merely pledging for the ensemble pack (including 10 lumis and a certificate attesting to roli's most sincere gratitude) I could connect them all end to end for a massive 240 key cheep plastic krap light up keyboard!

K-Bee wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:18 pm Here it is - it's called LUMI

i mean, cool, would buy it for my kid if i had one :D

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”