Splitting midi controller to 2 hardware synths

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So, as the title says; is it easy to split 1 midi controller to 2 synths?

I'd like to get the little Korg Volca FM and the Korg Volca Bass, then split a midi controller to control both. You know bass with left hand pads with right.

Easy enough?

It depends. If the controller itself has a 'Layer' function, then it's easy. Just set the key ranges for each layer and set each layer to a different MIDI channel. You then need to set each of your target devices to a separate MIDI channel (and use the same channel for the two layers on the controller).

If the controller does not have it's own key splitting/layer functions, you will need to handle that in a DAW or a MIDI processing app like Bome's MIDI Translator or MIDI Pipe. Some DAWs make that kind of configuration easier than others. In Bitwig or Live it's super easy to do with a Hardware Instrument device and a Note filter. In Cubase, you can do it with the Input transformer. Other DAWs have similar functionality.

justin3am wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:32 pm It depends. If the controller itself has a 'Layer' function, then it's easy. Just set the key ranges for each layer and set each layer to a different MIDI channel. You then need to set each of your target devices to a separate MIDI channel (and use the same channel for the two layers on the controller).

If the controller does not have it's own key splitting/layer functions, you will need to handle that in a DAW or a MIDI processing app like Bome's MIDI Translator or MIDI Pipe. Some DAWs make that kind of configuration easier than others. In Bitwig or Live it's super easy to do with a Hardware Instrument device and a Note filter. In Cubase, you can do it with the Input transformer. Other DAWs have similar functionality.
I'm trying to build a new rig for live use, and trying to get away from laptops, so yeah; no DAW. I was thinking about just getting a digital keyboard, but I wont need heaps of sounds so I thought those little Korg synths might be better sound quality.

The instruments themselves may have an options for setting the key range to which they respond but you usually see that type of feature on multi-timbral synths. I seem to remember a product which had basic MIDI processing functions for key splits and such but I can't remember the name. MIDI Solutions may make something like that.

I should also mention that Nektar's Panorama P-series and Impact LX88+ both have options for splitting/layering the keys.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”