Any cheap but decent (analog) effect pedal suggestions?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks for the new suggestions, guys. Have been busy with expenses on personal front, so haven't been able to focus on this effect pedal finalization. Might have to postpone it to next year. If it was as cheap and easy as purchasing software, would have bought one easily.

Sending sound out of your computer to run it through a pedal only makes sense if you are targeting an exceptionally good pedal.

Behringer pedals are the opposite of that.

If you had a good set of pedals - pedals of a level you will not find at these prices - you might want to run audio through them for this or that purpose. You have to deal with noise and latency, but in the right case that would be worth the trouble. Leaving the box, where you have an abundance of well-made effects available, to mess with bottom-level pedals just makes no sense. By all means, record performances of instruments like guitars with their pedal chains in the signal path. But running stuff back out of a computer to pedal effects is another thing. Wait and buy your pedals carefully - cheap pedals like this will do your mixes no good.

mrdoghead wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:23 am Sending sound out of your computer to run it through a pedal only makes sense if you are targeting an exceptionally good pedal.

Behringer pedals are the opposite of that.

If you had a good set of pedals - pedals of a level you will not find at these prices - you might want to run audio through them for this or that purpose. You have to deal with noise and latency, but in the right case that would be worth the trouble. Leaving the box, where you have an abundance of well-made effects available, to mess with bottom-level pedals just makes no sense. By all means, record performances of instruments like guitars with their pedal chains in the signal path. But running stuff back out of a computer to pedal effects is another thing. Wait and buy your pedals carefully - cheap pedals like this will do your mixes no good.
Solid advice indeed. Thanks! :tu:

I am saving up for new studio monitors, so hopefully I will be able to spend the remainder of that for a decent effect pedal next year. :)

JOYO American with a Mosky spring reverb...

Nice combination...Killer :wink:

You could add a Mosky Deluxe Preamp and a Mosky Blue Delay and you'd be in @ under USD $100 and it would be an all analog signal path...

Sounds great too with no digital compression :)
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:07 pm JOYO American with a Mosky spring reverb...

Nice combination...Killer :wink:

You could add a Mosky Deluxe Preamp and a Mosky Blue Delay and you'd be in @ under USD $100 and it would be an all analog signal path...

Sounds great too with no digital compression :)
Sounds interesting. :) I will check these out, but the last time I checked JOYO pedals were either not available or were a bit expensive. :(

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:10 pm Sounds interesting. :) I will check these out, but the last time I checked JOYO pedals were either not available or were a bit expensive. :(

Harley Benton Guitar and Bass Effects https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton ... uetone.htm - AKA Joyo/Ammoon Joyo American Sound equivalents.

Last edited by The Noodlist on Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

The Noodlist wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:55 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:10 pm Sounds interesting. :) I will check these out, but the last time I checked JOYO pedals were either not available or were a bit expensive. :(
Harley Benton Guitar and Bass Effects - AKA Joyo.
Joyo American Sound equivalent https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton ... uetone.htm
Thanks, but unfortunately, I am seeing mostly their guitars only, and not the effect pedals, here in my country. :(

Of all the guitar pedal distortions, the most universally useful with synth is the Ibanez Tube Screamer (TS-808) design of which the Boss SD1 is just another example. There are many variations and copies of the same idea. These pedals have circuitry that can drive mixer inputs and don't mind the stronger input levels from a synth. The built-in EQ has a mid-range boost that helps make cutting lead tones. The electronics in these pedals is nothing very special and the circuits are well known, so you can find many cheap copies like the Mooer Green Mile.

There are certain kinds of guitar pedal that depend on being between a guitar and a guitar amp to give their best - because they are ridiculously simple circuits and interact with what it's plugged in to. An example would be the treble boosters and FuzzFace type distortions. Guitarist love the interaction because it means the guitars controls greatly affect the sounds you can get, but you lose most of that with a synth - and worse of all, those pedals can't drive a mixer or soundcard line-input properly. This is something for the Boss pedal range, they are almost all able to be used with a synth - the key thing is buffered circuitry which means it is more likely to work between a synth and mixer.
You should probably consider a guitar or bass amplifier simulator pedal with a DI output that can drive a mixer this will at least match the outputs of all guitar pedals properly. The Behringer BDI21 is an example of this which works well for the money.

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:02 pm 9V is more headroom, and its been standard so long its unikely to change; there's even a whole ecosystem of multi-pedal power supplies out there...
Could you please explain physics behind having more headroom on 9v than on 5v ? :hyper:
Murderous duck!

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:55 pm
Thanks, but unfortunately, I am seeing mostly their guitars only, and not the effect pedals, here in my country. :(
Move to a different country :wink:
No auto tune...

david.beholder wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:50 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:02 pm 9V is more headroom, and its been standard so long its unikely to change; there's even a whole ecosystem of multi-pedal power supplies out there...
Could you please explain physics behind having more headroom on 9v than on 5v ? :hyper:
Imagine a 0.5V input signal. If this is amplified by anything over 10x it will start to clip in a 5V system as the amplified signal will be up against the supply rails. In a 9V system there is more leeway before distortion starts.

digitalboytn wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:22 pm
Move to a different country :wink:
I know, but easier said than done. :(

Joyo American Sound equivalent https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton ... uetone.htm
https://www.joyoaudio.co.uk/joyo-guitar-effect-pedals/
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

The Noodlist wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:37 am
https://www.joyoaudio.co.uk/joyo-guitar-effect-pedals/
:tu: But the problem still remains as far as pedal availability is concerned.

Parametric EQ is one of the most overlooked
https://www.thomann.de/gb/artec_parametric_eq.htm

Really cheap, and have a couple in series on pedal board, for different setting engaging one at a time - especially if having tube entry stage in you amp. Then EQ on amp work as post EQ.

Well, you can combine two at a time as well, getting even more variation, of course. One for low end and one for treble or anything you want - you sweep to the spot you want.

What is interesting is how wide(Q-resonance on filter), and how much on gain - then sweep for frequency sweet spot. This decides which frequencies are saturated first in tube stage, and makes all the difference to the tone you get. So very different harmonic content depending how you set it.

I found the value of this getting a Damage Control Womanizer long ago - which had this on pedal which is tube preamp. So tube preamp after is enough as well to get good use of it.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”