Best studio headphones?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

lil_miss_beats wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:51 pm i use the sennheiser hd280 pro in the studio and coffee shops - find they work great for what I do (variety of styles). Also been very durable since I travel with them alot, and pretty affordable!
Are you not put off by how tight they are, or are they no longer like that?

You're right, they are very tight. They used to give me headaches, but I think after a while they stretched. Now it doesn't bother me at all, only if I'm wearing glasses. So yeah, if you're wearing glasses, they are not ideal!

I used to have AKG712 Pros which were amazing, but I found I just ended up using my Seinheisser HD25’s instead as they’re super light and comfortable and are closed back so I don’t disturb anyone (or hear everyone else!) while using them. They sound really good too.
Check out my YouTube channel for dose of Acid: https://www.youtube.com/acidalex

Someone a while ago recommended Focal Clear.
Man... these are amazing. Replaced my DT-1770.

Audio-Technica ATH-R70x is a good option
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-t ... ns.765004/

I just got a pair of Focal Listen Pro and they sound very very good. Much better than my B&W P7, Sen HD25ii, HD518 and Grado SR80se

Do I need a headphone amp if I plan on using the Sennheiser HD 650s? I was just gonna plug then into my UR-22 interface.

@CT Your UR Is a preamp, and should work great.
jethrobull wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:59 pm Save yourself some money and get the Samson SR850's
[/quote
wickfut wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:39 pm I just got a pair of Focal Listen Pro and they sound very very good. Much better than my B&W P7, Sen HD25ii, HD518 and Grado SR80se
Just ordered some edifier 850 pro's, I'll let you know how it goes.

^^^ well, I can't figure out how that quote script operates but, I ordered some edifiers, I'll let you know.

my edifiers came in today. :) very happy with these. the build is cheap plastic, but makes them very light weight and comfortable. the 40 mm drivers reproduce incredible detail and clarity. not boomy or muddy. I'm surprised im not getting any rattle or noticeable vibration from the cheap build tbh. they don't go real low, but they will go down to 20 hz. can't really beat the price. I won't look like a dweeb riding on the plan or train either. the cord is supposed to be detachable but mine doesn't want to disengage. I think the lock might be defective, but im not going to detach it anyway. really well tuned and detailed sound. flat over all. nice mids. clean highs. nice staging. im impressed with the detail im getting. Let the burn in commence.

i got the cord to detach. it was just tricky. these things are almost clinically flat. tuned beautifully.

Dasheesh wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:34 pm i got the cord to detach. it was just tricky. these things are almost clinically flat. tuned beautifully.
Would be interested to hear whether you have had a chance to mix on them and if so, how the mix translates to other media. With such a low price, I understand clarity cannot be great, but from what I've read in reviews - and as you testify to - they seem very flat across the board.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Audeze LCD-1 recently got released... they say that they are fairly balanced/neutral with mixing/mastering referencing in mind.
they are about the price of the DT-1990 ..

SparkySpark wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:33 am
Dasheesh wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:34 pm i got the cord to detach. it was just tricky. these things are almost clinically flat. tuned beautifully.
Would be interested to hear whether you have had a chance to mix on them and if so, how the mix translates to other media. With such a low price, I understand clarity cannot be great, but from what I've read in reviews - and as you testify to - they seem very flat across the board.

thing is, people are listening to spotify broadcast over bluetooth to beats headphones now. i'm not sure it matters and it's all relative. i can tell you this, they are surprisingly detailed. i can hear actual aliasing. not distortion, but actual aliasing. the music isn't turned into a big bass boom either. they remind me a lot of the creatives. the light, plastic build is like wearing air. my favorite is the samson (which is why i tried to quote them above). they distort at the upper and lower extremes, but the sound is so warm, and analog, and spacious. look, i'm not sequencing 60 instances of super saws, i'm just playing my instruments, so not sure if my opinion will help in that regard, but you don't need to spend a grand to get great headphones. most of that is a scam. i don't spend more then 150$ on cans anymore. i usually don't spend more then 80$ tbh. focal makes the best sound imo, but the build quality is a joke. there are no perfect headphones.

Dasheesh wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:06 pm
SparkySpark wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:33 am

thing is, people are listening to spotify broadcast over bluetooth to beats headphones now. i'm not sure it matters and it's all relative. i can tell you this, they are surprisingly detailed. i can hear actual aliasing. not distortion, but actual aliasing. the music isn't turned into a big bass boom either. they remind me a lot of the creatives. the light, plastic build is like wearing air. my favorite is the samson (which is why i tried to quote them above). they distort at the upper and lower extremes, but the sound is so warm, and analog, and spacious. look, i'm not sequencing 60 instances of super saws, i'm just playing my instruments, so not sure if my opinion will help in that regard, but you don't need to spend a grand to get great headphones. most of that is a scam. i don't spend more then 150$ on cans anymore. i usually don't spend more then 80$ tbh. focal makes the best sound imo, but the build quality is a joke. there are no perfect headphones.
Thanks for your input!

Actually, despite the Beats craziness, I think headphones flatness does matter. Take the AKG 240 Studio - they look great, sound great, feel great and are less than a hundred bucks. Music sounds, well, musical on them. BUT... there's no bass, like at all. I just wish they would make just the same headphones but with a normal (not hyped) bass response.

I'm also curious as to why you chose the edifiers when you preferred the Samsons... perhaps that part got lost when you tried to quote above. But if I understand you correctly, you say Go with the Samsons! :)
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”