Hydrasynth

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

deastman wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:52 pm From playing the Continuum and other MPE instruments, I’ve found that patches designed for those types of controllers really do need to be kind of basic and boring. So much of the expression comes from modulating parameters with your fingers, and so the basic sound without expression needs to be much simpler than you typical find on a sophisticated synth. I don’t have a Hydrasynth (yet) but I’m guessing that might be why a lot of the patches sound kind of bland.
When it comes to MPE and complex sounds, in general, not in the Hydrasynth, my experience differs completely. There are many complex MPE patches that are expressive and satisfying to play. I've been designing expressive sounds on a professional level since 2012, starting with the Seaboard GRAND and its '3D' sounds, then moving on to 5D sounds on the Seaboard Rise. Also creating 5D drum kits and groove kits along the way ( do people actual realise there are 5D/MPE drum kits?). I'm writing this only to outline where I'm coming from.

What I agree with in your statement is that, yes, there is something about the simpler sounds that lends itself to MPE. A sound like a woodwind is supremely satisfying to play as an MPE sound. Same with brass, bowed strings, synth leads, etc. 'Simple' (they are really not) sounds that really work great as MPE sounds. Are they boring? I guess this is in the 'ear of the MPE-holder'. But, whether one finds them interesting or not, their expressive nature remains, as you say.

Now, when it comes to complex sounds, I've experienced many that are very expressive. I guess it would be best to show this with some audio demos, but I don't want to add to much OT to this post/thread. However, there may be a few points that could prevent users from successfully using complex MPE sounds:

1. When making a sound yourself, it's all about your skills. Are people skilled enough to make complex, and very expressive sounds? I've seen a demo of a fantastic sample library that was promoted as MPE-compatible, and in the video the sound that was demonstrated was indeed absolutely beautiful. People were saying, wow, this is amazing and so expressive. But! I saw what was happening. The sound itself was so complex without any MPE that all the sliding and pressing had an effect of an expressive sound, but in fact it wasn't. There was almost nothing assigned to pressure and CC74. The 'MPE-expression' of the demonstrated sound was almost negligible. It was so minimal as to be insignificant. Still, since the sound was very complex, multi-layered, and so, so beautiful, it had this psychological effect on the people who saw it being played on an MPE controller and automatically they assumed that it is a supreme example of MPE expression. Nothing was further from the truth. So...the sound designers didn't do a good job as far as I could see and hear. And if pro sound designers aren't able to coax better expression from their multi-sampled patches then what about the amateur user who has limited time to explore the intricacies of MPE sound creation? That's one problem.

2. When using factory presets, it also takes skill to actually get the best out of a preset. I've seen so many video reviews and demos of MPE synths and sounds where people weren't skilled enough to use them properly. It could be down to a simple fact that they are not bothered to dive in and explore the sound, impatient even, or that they do not understand MPE at all and they simply slide, glide randomly expecting some MPE fireworks....whatever it is, I have seen time and time again like complex but beautiful patches are completely misunderstood by users who didn't spend enough time understanding the preset, feeling it, trying to feel the sound and go with it, rather than, for example, hammering a soft pad which needs a very soft touch....
I always think of this example: if I were to put on the Scottish bagpipes for the first time and start playing, I would most likely not make a single squeak, or I'd make a complete awful racket. And this is in fact what happened once, when I did try the Scottish bagpipes. With my total lack of understanding and skill, it sounded dreadful. But the skilled player makes it sound beautiful of course (ok ok, cue people hating the Scottish bagpipes..).

3. There is also the question of the actual MPE comptroller and the MPE sounds designed for it.
As an example, if the MPE controller has a very limited travel along the X-axis (CC74) then it won't like the type of MPE-sounds as designed for an MPE controller with longer X-axis travel. A mismatch in sounds will not create a pleasant and joyful playing experience.

One type of patch that is complex but which is not suited to MPE expression, is one which uses a complex chain of ambient effects. A chain of delays, reverbs, chorus, more reverb....a chain that creates some deep washes and textures, tends to mask the MPE modulations (what is assigned to CC74, pressure, LIFT, etc). I've made many of such deep, ambient washes, and hearing expressive modulations here is not easy. So this is definitely an example where a complex patch may not be as effective as an MPE sound as we would like.

So, other than that, an MPE patch can be complex and very expressive. I have no doubt about it. I play such sounds everyday.

(sorry for a long post)
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

himalaya wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:19 pm
joris.roling wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:11 pm Hydrasynth v1.30 get full MPE compliance... 😃 (altough I have to wait 2 more months till mine arrives 🧐)
Are you saying that it will receive a 'per note CC74 modulation' and per-note polyponic pitch-bend, as well as release velocity note off?
I was indeed saying that (almost a year ago), but I could have been wrong. My initial enthousiasm was killed by, at the time, horrible communication to early customers about shipping. I canceled my order and got a Deluge instead (no MPE yet), and never looked back. My enthousiastic misunderstanding (Hydrasynth is not even a full MPE controller) also lead to the good people of U-He pushing me away from theyr forums, as they thought I was pitching some arbitrary soft synth. It was a good learning for me to keep my mouth shut.

Thanks for the answer. I asked since I just couldn’t see how a synth with a standard midi keyboard could support the full MPE spec. There is just no way to slide and bend the pitch on a single key (of a standard keyboard), and it’s doubtful that it also supports velocity release note-off. Although, this isn’t part of the actual physical key design.

himalaya wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:18 am Thanks for the answer. I asked since I just couldn’t see how a synth with a standard midi keyboard could support the full MPE spec. There is just no way to slide and bend the pitch on a single key (of a standard keyboard), and it’s doubtful that it also supports velocity release note-off. Although, this isn’t part of the actual physical key design.
A synth itself may fully support MPE even if its keyboard can't utilise all of it.
Have no idea if the Hydrasynth is like that as I don't have anything else that outputs any MPE and I'm not planning to sit in Bitwig tweaking a load of values I don't (currently need to) understand.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:31 am A synth itself self may fully support MPE even if its keyboard can't utilise all of it.
You mean to say, the synth engine may support MPE. However, without the playing surface (the keys) being able to support MPE, and make use of this synth engine, the complete instrument can not be called as having full MPE spec.

In other words, how do you make use of this MPE-compatible synth engine? By connecting a proper MPE controller to it?

himalaya wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:45 am
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:31 am A synth itself self may fully support MPE even if its keyboard can't utilise all of it.
You mean to say, the synth engine may support MPE. However, without the playing surface (the keys) being able to support MPE, and make use of this synth engine, the complete instrument can not be called as having full MPE spec.

In other words, how do you make use of this MPE-compatible synth engine? By connecting a proper MPE controller to it?
Splitting hairs especially as there is also a desktop version of the Hydrasynth so by your argument it mystically becomes more MPE compliant by losing a keyboard which strikes me as nonsense.

And yes, you answered your own question - you would simply connect up an MPE controller.

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:12 am

And yes, you answered your own question - you would simply connect up an MPE controller.
So then Hydrasynth keyboard is not an MPE instrument (as a complete, self contained MPE instrument.)! Or is the aim that you buy Hydrasynth as this complete MPE instrument and then have to buy an MPE controller to use it? Can you see the issue here?

But. An MPE instrument is one which allows you to express the sound by using Multi-Polyphonic-Expression on the instrument's playing surface. This Multi-Polyphonic-Expression refers to:

1.Velocity (all synths can do it)
2.Poly-phonic pitch bend (Hydrasynth can't do it)
3.Poly-phonic aftertouch (can do it)
4.Polyphonic slide which is the X-axis, CC74. (can't do it)
5.Release velocity note off (could do it, but does it?)

How many of the above five expression dimensions can you play on the Hydrasynth keyboard, or even a simpler question, how many of these dimensions can the actual synth engine of Hydrasynth support so that it could be played on a suitable MPE controller?

God I really don’t care.

Are you safe?

Hey. I just got my Hydrasynth delivered today. I've got a question about the ribbon. Is it supposed to take a bit of effort to activate it? Like I have to press on it almost as if I were tapping a drum pad. The only other ribbons I've ever used are the ones on Push and Push 2, and they react as soon as you lay your finger on them. Tried updating the firmware and it didn't change anything. I wouldn't particularly mind this, if not for the fact that when I'm sweeping up and down the ribbon in theremin mode for example, it takes a conscious effort to keep enough consistent pressure on it to prevent the pitch from skipping around

Razzia wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:47 pm Hey. I just got my Hydrasynth delivered today. I've got a question about the ribbon. Is it supposed to take a bit of effort to activate it? Like I have to press on it almost as if I were tapping a drum pad. The only other ribbons I've ever used are the ones on Push and Push 2, and they react as soon as you lay your finger on them. Tried updating the firmware and it didn't change anything. I wouldn't particularly mind this, if not for the fact that when I'm sweeping up and down the ribbon in theremin mode for example, it takes a conscious effort to keep enough consistent pressure on it to prevent the pitch from skipping around
On mine, just need to press with little more than finger weight. It doesn’t work purely on touch like a capacitive screen, but there shouldn’t be any real effort involved. I hadn’t used the ribbon a lot, but recently realised you can use it to fake Mick Karn style fretless bass and that is fun.

Are you safe?

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:30 am
Razzia wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:47 pm Hey. I just got my Hydrasynth delivered today. I've got a question about the ribbon. Is it supposed to take a bit of effort to activate it? Like I have to press on it almost as if I were tapping a drum pad. The only other ribbons I've ever used are the ones on Push and Push 2, and they react as soon as you lay your finger on them. Tried updating the firmware and it didn't change anything. I wouldn't particularly mind this, if not for the fact that when I'm sweeping up and down the ribbon in theremin mode for example, it takes a conscious effort to keep enough consistent pressure on it to prevent the pitch from skipping around
On mine, just need to press with little more than finger weight. It doesn’t work purely on touch like a capacitive screen, but there shouldn’t be any real effort involved. I hadn’t used the ribbon a lot, but recently realised you can use it to fake Mick Karn style fretless bass and that is fun.
Thanks for your input. Yeah theremin mode quantized to a scale is a lot of fun. With maybe a touch of glide.

Mine got somewhat better after I spent some time with it. Now it's pretty much as you say, just a tiny bit of pressure. Maybe the cold in the back of the fedex truck disrupted the sensor a bit, and it just needed to thaw a while. I don't know the first thing about this particular ribbon but I know some types of touch sensors are based on heat...

Razzia wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:21 am I don't know the first thing about this particular ribbon but I know some types of touch sensors are based on heat...
I would guess it’s based on pressure because if just heat triggered it then no pressure would be needed at all.

Are you safe?

I just order one today, looking forward to getting it tomorrow- anything to help pass lockdown!

I have seen/heard nothing but praise from people I respect who have one...I have even read the manual (which is very good) so I am pretty sure this is a synth for me.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I got a Hydrasynth desktop over the holidays and I'm really enjoying it. The synth sounds fantastic and I love playing the pads using the fretboard layout. I'm starting to get used to the polyphonic aftertouch but I think it will take a while to be able to play it expressively. I have an Eowave ribbon, so I don't miss the ribbon from the keyboard version.

I've just been starting from an Init patch (love that there is a dedicated button for that!) and playing with the Mutators and modulation routing. I don't much care for the effects, though I may explore them more, now that I know that the parameters can be modulated. I'll still probably turn to my Quantum when I want wavetables or complex FM but Hydrasynth has a lot of sweet spots which cover different territory than my other digital synths, so it's definitely a keeper. I find that working with Hydrasynth is fun and immediate, so I'll probably turn to it often when sketching out patch ideas.

justin3am wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:59 pm I've just been starting from an Init patch (love that there is a dedicated button for that!)
Yes, one of the reasons I bought this over so many other excellent synths, this one seems to be designed to make new sounds on.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”