Modal Announces $699 Argon8 Polyphonic Synthesizer (Baby Modal 002?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I hope they drop the manual soon, I want to see what different filter algorithms it has.

I am pretty sure it's the Skulpt filter, so it's a state-variable that can morph from one mode to the next. It's not bad but not exactly mind-blowing, either.
lfm wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:41 amMaybe not blown away, seems too clean and surgical. If wish they had a number of filters you could choose from - like Jupiter Xm has Roland, Moog and Sequential type. Kingkorg had this approach as well with Oberheim and the others.
If it's the Skulpt filter then it will be OK. I don't see the point in offering lots of models, one good one should be enough and I'd prefer it was something of their own design, not just a clone of something that every second synth has already. That's what my Alesis Micron was like - I think you got 24 different modelled filters but Alesis's own types were easily the best. Ditto for DUNE, it's own filters are better than any of the modelled ones.
Maybe use a tube preamp with it like Kingkorg had built in.
That's not a problem with either Skulpt or Craft 2.0 so I don't think it will be here, either. They can get plenty dirty if that's what you want.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:00 am I am pretty sure it's the Skulpt filter, so it's a state-variable that can morph from one mode to the next. It's not bad but not exactly mind-blowing, either.

If it's the Skulpt filter then it will be OK. I don't see the point in offering lots of models, one good one should be enough and I'd prefer it was something of their own design, not just a clone of something that every second synth has already.
Thinking of all this apparently new stuff in oscillators
"120 carefully crafted wavetables split into 24 banks of 5 morphable waveform sets, covering virtual analogue classics through to cutting edge EDM and many from the original Modal 002 as well as a whole range of mathematically generated tables. Additional PWM bank and 3 noise/modulation banks accessible on Oscillator 2

28 static wavetable processors including de-rez, wave folders, wave shapers, phase shapers and rectify that can be applied to the 120 wavetables to give a mind boggling array of permutations and new waveshapes

32 high resolution wavetable oscillators, 4 per voice, with 8 types of oscillator modifier including: Phase Mod (FM), Ring Mod, Amp Mod, Hard Sync and Windowed Sync
"

At least running these into 12/24/48 dB filters or something - maybe the typical Moog/Prophet/Oberheim stuff too.

For oscillators it's clear what morphable means - not sure what morphable filters mean - is that between type LP and BP, or?

I just like options and new territory to visit.....still have loads left with all that Prologue offer with 3rd oscillator as VPM/USR oscillators, but always on the hunt.....

Like the Oberheim SEM filter, it morphs from low-pass, through band-pass to high-pass. No notch filter, sadly. I like a good notch.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

A filter like a multiband EQ - and then run with envelopes - could be interesting approach.

This could be most flexible filter we ever saw - tailor as you wish for each preset.
LIke the most flexible EQ plugins we have - with each band have Q-values and crossover frequencies. So 4-5 bands or something.

Not sure if this is part of what Argon is doing - or why not in every synth.

But guess some of that might be possible if effect section has EQ with band parameters are destination in mod matrix.

Thomann had it available withing 2-5 days, now shifted to 4-5 weeks without putting "available since" - so release is delayed a month at least.

At least Modal released another demo of some sort, that my browser could not read at the time - will see again later.

Argon8 hitting stores today in UK. Just managed to find one that hadn't been reserved. 8)

Hmmmm... still shows as "Accepting Orders" on my shop's website. When arrival is imminent they usually change it to "Ships in 7 days". Maybe we'll start seeing them over this side of the planet in the new year. I am still keen to have a listen, even though I don't have anywhere to put one.

Got mine (Andertons UK) a couple of days ago.
Initial impressions ... LOVELY!
Feels amazingly solid to handle.
Just flicked through presets so far ... and they sound really interesting, rich, and usable rather than gimmicky. The joystick is a more interesting modulator than wheels ... but as a poor keyboard player I would like to map those to my Linnstrument MPE axes ... maybe a firmware update in the future?
Got a bag for the Novation Ultranova which fits it just fine - ideal for those who need to put stuff away due to lack of space - and a really useful and high quality bag for £35.
It appears the initial batches had a small 1cm diameter volume knob ... it came with a replacement larger 2.5cm knob to match the central Cutoff ...
Fun for 2020 ...

My Ultranova bag started fraying at the seams just a few months after I bought it. I fixed it with gaffa tape and it hasn't got any worse but it was a bit disappointing. I wouldn't have minded so much if I had only paid 35 quid for it but it was more than twice that.

MODAL ELECTRONICS ARGON8 PRODUCT LINE EXPANDS……….

Introducing ARGON8M and ARGON8X Polyphonic Synthesisers

The two new models are welcome extensions to the ARGON8 product line, allowing consumers two new exciting options:

ARGON8M - A compact desktop module version that can also be mounted into a 19" 3U rack with the included end cheeks, for those players with limited space.
ARGON8X - An elongated 61 key version using the same FATAR TP/9S mechanism with aftertouch, for those players who want an extended octave range.

Both models share an identical sound engine as the original ARGON8 (37 key version), with 8 voices of true polyphonic flexibility (8 independent signal paths comprising oscillators, filter, envelopes and modulation)

Pricing is as follows:

Argon8M = $619 - €579 - £499

Argon8X = $819 - €749 - £649
sub £500 for desktop version makes this thing very appealing £300 cheaper than Hydrasynth and although not as vast in feature set it sounds more analog than Hydrasynth

Is that important? I wouldn't have thought so.

BONES wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:11 am Is that important? I wouldn't have thought so.
Having desktop version is important if you like saving space/have limited space

even better. it can also be build in a 19" rack. for us people with crowded desks :hihi:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”