Cheap hardware synth for psytrance (below 350 eur) - is Neutron the right synth for me? Edit: bought Microbrute.

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm mostly an ITB guy, my only HW synth is Virus Snow which I use as a plugin in my DAW. So I want some hardware for the fun of it - mostly for hands-on programming/tweaking experience and some unique character not acheivable by VSTi.

I have a bunch of great analogue emulations like Monark, Lush-101 and Tal Bassline 101 so Moog or SH-101 clones are probably not what I need. Also I'd like that synth to have some features going beyond typical subtractive (at least some forms of osc cross-modulation and/or filter FM).

Overall I lean towards Berhinger Neutron, it seems to be capable of both crazy ass sounds with audio-rate modulation and such and "normal" sweet sounds, but I'm afraid going from 100% ITB to semi-moldular analog with no patch recall might be quite frustrating.

Other synth that grabbed my attention was Arturia Microfreak, I understand it has analog filter and digtal oscillator so I guess it must have some qualities in its sound that set it apart from the VSTis because of that filter? Some of the demos sound lovely. It has patch recall and overall more "traditional" structure which I'll probably easy understand going from subtractive/wavetable software synths.

What other synths I may consider? And is Neutron really that hard to learn and program?
Last edited by recursive one on Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Below 350 euro.. maybe original Nordrack 1/2 for classic psy/goa with it is unique sound on FM.

Otherwise I would say Blofeld if you want to make complex and unique sounds. It's nasty to program if you don't use a 3rd party VST editor though. I can sound really beautiful. Im thinking of getting one again actually. When I bought it back when it came out, there was no good vst editor for it.

If you want to make really good analog wavefolded, hard lead sounds or FX - I would say Microbrute.. I love it's sound.

Microfreak has also got my attention, but I want to try it before I buy. Neutron didn't get my attention.. I have mixed feelings about Behringer... Sounds too generic for my taste (at least from the demos I heard..).

You suprise me, I consider Neutron for the opposite side of sound spectrum, i.e classic synthwave sounds ;)

I recently made some noise with 0-Coast - the only way to use that is to jam endlessly and cut the interesting parts, then layer them by hand. No need for patch recall, since it's impossible to listen to these weird-ass noises for more than few seconds.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Thanks!

Yes, Nordlead + Virus. The classic combo :) I'm not sure I could find a used Nord in good condition for that price where I live, though.

Microbrute is another synth I'm considering, the demos sound cool but it seems to be quite limited (though I guess I can't ask for much in that price range anyway).

Not sure i need Blofeld if I have Virus :?
DJ Warmonger wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:11 pm You suprise me, I consider Neutron for the opposite side of sound spectrum, i.e classic synthwave sounds ;)
Aren't you confusing it with Deepmind or their Moog clone? 90% Neutron demos I've heard were various modular-style blips, blops and such - but souning quite lovely at times, something that could be resampled, sliced and actually used for psy.

Never heard about that 0-coast, but it seems to be somewhat outside of the price range

the neutron is capable of both really, standard sub synth sounds, and the more mesed up cool shit :D
at the price as well, hard to beat really.

DJ Warmonger wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:11 pm You suprise me, I consider Neutron for the opposite side of sound spectrum, i.e classic synthwave sounds ;)

I recently made some noise with 0-Coast - the only way to use that is to jam endlessly and cut the interesting parts, then layer them by hand. No need for patch recall, since it's impossible to listen to these weird-ass noises for more than few seconds.
fake news!

Go for it. It’s modular so the only limitation is your mind; perfect for psy. Plus it’s expandable.

I know I have one on my shopping list.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:34 pm Go for it. It’s modular so the only limitation is your mind; perfect for psy. Plus it’s expandable.

I know I have one on my shopping list.
this.
speaking of which, i went with supercell, clouds on steroids :o

i love psytrance....and i have and love the neutron.

with that being said...you CAN use the neutron for psytrance...but i dont think its the best option. unless what you really want it for is those weird accent sounds for forest/darkpsy.

not because it cant do what you want it to...as it certainly can...i just think other synths will get you there easier and quicker.
Last edited by chaosWyrM on Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:45 pm unless what you really want it for is those weird accent sounds for forest/darkpsy.
I like some of the sounds they use in forest and darkpsy but it's not really my area, I prefer lighter and more melodic psytrance, like progressive and morning full-on/goa.

Actually it's not that I have any specific sound in mind, I just want to have some fun with a small HW synth... something different to programming everything in the DAW.

For that matter I'm afraid Neutron may be too much for me. I have troubles with finishing tracks so this may be yet another complicating factor. When I want to have some really deep programming I can always do it in my Virus or software synths anyway.

On the other hand, a very simple and limited synth may get boring after a while :? Unless it has a really outstanding sound character.

i have a feeling that the neutron might not really be what youre after. on the one hand if what you want is hands on fun...the neutron can provide that in spades...on the other hand...if you want a faster, less complicated workflow...its def is NOT that.

the neutron is loads of fun...but for me what it excels at is experimentation. if i have a particular sound in my head that i already know i want to use...the neutron is def. not the synth i go to to make it.

but...if i dont really know what sound i want, other than it has a certain "feel" or that i want to explore sonic possibilities and look for something a little less ordinary....the neutron can take me on some pretty fun adventures.

the neutron is great for exploration and can come up with some really interesting things, but its a journey. i find its better to play around with it and be ready to record, or just be open to finding something new and coming back to it later...than it is to sit down with it and try to make a specific sound.

i can not stress enough...this is my own experience with it...im in no way implying that its like that for anyone else or that it would be like that for you...but maybe if you you dig a little...a usage pattern might develop among people who have one.
ImageImageImage

I don’t think you can go wrong with the Neutron or the Microfreak, but they really are very different beasts. What I find makes the most difference in a hardware synth is something that allows for overdrive at various stages in the synth. Something like the Peak has a whole bunch of ways for this. Overdrive the VCA, filter, post filter drive and distortion. Makes it a little tricky to get clear and round types of sounds, but it’s killer for harder stuff. Anyway, go for what your ears are telling you. If something about the character of a synth seems good to you, chances are you’ll enjoy it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Maybe minibrute instead of micro..

But hey, come here to buy that Neutron? If you find it meh, you can sell it with the same price at where you live ;)

maybe the behringer k2 might be a nice middle ground?

and still within that very reasonable price range
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:15 pm maybe the behringer k2 might be a nice middle ground?

and still within that very reasonable price range
Good shout. I luuuuuuurve my MS20.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”