New ExpressiveE instrument: Osmose

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This thread has MPE expression. Hehe

There’s still a lot to learn about the Osmose and how it will function as a midi controller. I love my Linnstrument so it will stay with me for sure.

I was thinking about getting Hydrasynth as a regular keyboard controller. It’s just PolyAT but the ribbon can do some expressive things.

I'm still confused about how it will actually send MPE data and how strike is sent if the continuous pressure is set to the initial pressure. Since that start right at the top of the keys and usually velocity no normal keybaords is part way down into the key travel. Does this register velocity at the absolute top? It seems that initial pressure can be used for MPE pressure and then aftertouch can be used as the Timbre, but where does velocity fit in. If it is right at the top that would be a pretty different feel to a normal keyboard but it would be consistent with MPE.

I'm also curious if the eagen matrix itself has an actual instantaneous velocity or if that is replaced by the upper pressure to signal fast attacks.

deastman wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:59 amThe LinnStrument layout is essentially a guitar layout.
I have never in my life so much as picked up a guitar so that doesn't help at all.
If you do ever get the chance to try out a Continuum, I highly recommend it. It’s pretty extraordinary.
I can't see that happening but even if it did, I can't imagine it working for me anywhere near as well as the Roli does. Part of that is Equator, which is one of my favourite synths. Looking at the Eagan Matrix, I can't see myself getting much pleasure working with it. I think they appeal to different kinds of users.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

EaganMatrix is very powerful no doubt, much more so than Equator, but it is extremely complex and definitely not for the average user.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Powerful, schmowerful. My interest is in the sound, not the complexity. I will put up with complexity for great sound (DUNE) but my preference will always be for usability over complexity. Equator sounds great and is one of the most usable synths I have.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

EaganMatrix is definitely not what I would call usable. Complex, yes. Capable of great sounds, absolutely. But it isn’t at all intuitive. This is by far the best set of tutorials on programming it:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbLVeR ... yhHGkCn5tQ

I’ve never actually bothered to try controlling other MIDI instruments from the Continuum, so I can’t answer as to what it does with standard velocity. I’ll try to remember to look into that.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Well, drama goes MPE thread, nice.
Interesting thread and a great new controller.
Of course it could not replace my Seaboard and also seems to have similar shortcomings (i still have to use my multi-touch devices for) but all these different surfaces and engines have pro and contra and works different. It is like one synth is not enough. Buy them all.

What multi-touch devices and what for? A Seaboard Rise gives you a lot of control options beyond the keywaves, which I use a Lightpad Block for with my Seaboard Block. I see on Roli's site that Blocks are up to 3rd Gen, "Studio" editions now.

BONES wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:15 am What multi-touch devices and what for? A Seaboard Rise gives you a lot of control options beyond the keywaves, which I use a Lightpad Block for with my Seaboard Block. I see on Roli's site that Blocks are up to 3rd Gen, "Studio" editions now.
I didn't see "3rd Gen" or improved Blocks hardware mentioned at roli.com... are you sure "Studio Edition" isn't just marketing hype referring to the new Roli Studio software (which is free for Blocks owners)?

About velocity, the continuum send velocity, you can find an option into the editor: dynamic velocity. And it works normally when you send it to another instrument. Same if you want to control the eaganmatrix with velocity, it's possible too.
Best
YY

deastman wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:34 amEaganMatrix is definitely not what I would call usable. Complex, yes. Capable of great sounds, absolutely. But it isn’t at all intuitive.
Puts quite a huge downer on one of it's big selling points :shrug:

BONES wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:53 am Powerful, schmowerful. My interest is in the sound, not the complexity. I will put up with complexity for great sound (DUNE) but my preference will always be for usability over complexity. Equator sounds great and is one of the most usable synths I have.
You have a point that complexity does not necessarily translate to great sound, but in this case, with the EaganMatrix, its complexity actually is responsible for all that people love about the Continuum. From the super fine control of all dimensions (via the 'Formula' system) to the very deep synthesis engines and the mod matrix.

But, despite its relative simplicity and lack of many features *, I agree with you, Equator does sound great and is very usable, it would be as its designed to large extent to my personal specification. :D (I've been with it from the very first line of code).

*There is a genuine reason why the Equator plugin is 'simple' or is in the shape it is...and that's because it had to run on the internal DSP engine of the Seaboard GRAND. So 'Equator' is the plugin/standalone software, and the actual DSP engine running on Linux in the GRAND. The implication of what I'm trying to highlight is that, it is not trivial to have a deep 5D synth running on a DSP engine of the type used in the GRAND.
And Equator is deep, as some of know.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

That is interesting, I hadn't realised that Equator had once been a hardware instrument!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

himalaya wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:08 amBut, despite its relative simplicity and lack of many features *, I agree with you, Equator does sound great and is very usable, it would be as its designed to large extent to my personal specification. :D (I've been with it from the very first line of code).
Equator is a beautiful instrument. Of the three main MPE synths that I own, it always seemed to the most 'musical'. Not that Cypher and Strobe aren't up to the job. It's just that in so many cases the presets seem to be showing off how crazy these FXpansion synths can get, rather than making really tasteful, playable, and 'musical' patches. I know there is some good stuff in there, but every time I've loaded Cypher thinking that I'm going to just enjoy playing the instrument, I just end up disappointed :(

Would love to see some expansion packs that really dialled back the crazy modulations, and just concentrated on beautiful instrument patches :tu:
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cool technology, but how many of my favourite synths can actually make use of that? :neutral:
complexity does not necessarily translate to great sound
That's a problem in dense arrangements, such as EDM. A sound demo alone may seem great, but if you put that in a full and busy mix, no one is going to hear subtle details of multi-dimensional modulation.
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”