New ExpressiveE instrument: Osmose

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:00 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:52 pm Looks pretty amazing. The separation of initial pressure and aftertouch is really brilliant.
Yes this is the weakness of the touch-based approaches like Seaboard and QuNexus - combining traditional piano action with polyphonic aftertouch would make this much easier to learn and play for me
I think the Seaboard could actually do something similar by just having the initial range separate from the deeper range. In some software it would be possible with a pressure curve but I'm sure the physical range on this new Osmose would allow for better separation.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:53 pm Of course you alter the note's frequency with slides. Especially on fretless instruments. Please don't derail another thread.
Gridless = Fretless (on a fretless you can play off tune, especially not skilful enough cello and violin or double bass players), on fretless bass guitars, there are usually visual marks on where the frets would have sat, had the fretboard got wired with actual frets.
:harp:

Is there a way for a thread author to ban someone from a thread? I'm sick of this guys useless comments.

No :(

https://youtu.be/ygOAz6UsRhs

Very good combination between Haken Continuum and typical piano keyboard.
Good luck with its price. I assume 61 keys will be around $2000US (rough estimation).
They demonstrated FINALLY what Pitch Bend is (although just a roughly "semi-tone" up/down... maybe software dependent?) at 4:50 min!

So... you know... :hug:
Understanding is much more valuable than knowing.
Last edited by Pashkuli on Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:47 pm Honestly I wanna know if they're gonna make bigger versions. 61 or 88 key...
Price might get a bit prohibitive...

[Removed]
Last edited by Kaya Orsan on Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pashkuli wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:26 pmThey demonstrated finally what Pitch Bend is
That's just aftertouch sending pitch bend messages. :phones:

rest my case.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:43 pm That's just aftertouch sending pitch bend messages. :phones:
Quite possible, but let's see what will the developers say and will it be editable.
It might be related to polyphonic aftertouch, but the guys from Haken know best.
Last edited by Pashkuli on Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's not just that it's "quite possible", it IS that. It's poly AT but doing pitch bend in the synth engine. Check out EaganMatrix to find out more about it.

But also, there are a bunch of other ways to do PITCH BEND. :hyper:

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:05 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:52 pm Looks pretty amazing. The separation of initial pressure and aftertouch is really brilliant.
Yes this is the weakness of the touch-based approaches like Seaboard and QuNexus - combining traditional piano action with polyphonic aftertouch would make this much easier to learn and play for me
I think the Seaboard could actually do something similar by just having the initial range separate from the deeper range. In some software it would be possible with a pressure curve but I'm sure the physical range on this new Osmose would allow for better separation.
Pur speculation, I didn't try it, perhaps the initial pressure is a continuous controller like we find on the seaboard, continuum, linnstrument.....and the poly aftertouch,like on "classic" keyboard will controller the cc74, Y, slide.....
@ Urs : mpe+ could be a great addition into Zebra3 :)
Best
YY

Certainly, but my point is how tweakble and more over how controllable will it be in terms of range of "semitones".
My research and experiments show that a local (actual) Pitch Bend gets out of control over ±4 "semitones" (there is no such thing as semitone but anyway... they are tones, real, distinguishable).
That is - major 3rd - in classical terms.
It really gets quite tricky to control bending over that range - better use slide further that moment/range.

Also more than 4 fingers bending (that is 2 fingers per hand), leads to a mess, not practical at all (if a single player is performing). The human hand (fingers) is (are) not suited for such multiple wiggles.

But I may be wrong. I am not a keyboard player (a drummer :oops: ).
Last edited by Pashkuli on Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I pre-ordered immediately... almost ordered 2!

Whywhy wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:52 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:05 pm
Pur speculation, I didn't try it, perhaps the initial pressure is a continuous controller like we find on the seaboard, continuum, linnstrument.....and the poly aftertouch,like on "classic" keyboard will controller the cc74, Y, slide.....
@ Urs : mpe+ could be a great addition into Zebra3 :)
Oh I didn't even think about the fact that Y axis expression isn't there. For some reason I thought it would be, like Touch Keys. Or like the Haken continuum. I guess that's another thing differentiating it from a seaboard.

It would be weird if the initial pressure was sending timbre/Y expression. Because you must go through that range to get to aftertouch. Timbre modulation isn't usually something you want all the time. I would have thought the other way would be better. Initial pressure is MPE pressure and Osomse aftertouch could send timbre (the option additional expression). Down side would be of course that you must have full pressure sent to use the aftertouch message.

Each hardware device will certainly be best with the sounds designed for it. Same is true for linnstrument and Seaboard already.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”