New ExpressiveE instrument: Osmose

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Best
YY

A nice information:
The haken engine into osmose is the 6x version( the basic continuum, without extension is 2x version)
Best
YY

BONES wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:45 amUrs, what makes it better than a Roli?
Obviously, it actually feels like actual keys and not like silicone which is weird, and the way black keys are set up on Roli makes playing certain chords much more difficult than on proper keys.

That, plus sensors on Osmose are more precise and scan at much faster rate (which is sort of a requirement for MPE+ support, really - which Roli doesn't support due to their own engineering shortcomings).

Also let's quote mr. Charlie Clouser from another forum:
Charlie Clouser wrote:The Continuum is strange, wonderful, and exotic - and it can do things that no other instrument can do - but it takes practice, precision, and patience. The multi-finger slide capability is unique and unequalled though, however it's $$$$$$$$$$$$.

The Linnstrument is cheap-n-cheerful (ish) and is responsive in exactly the way you'd hope, and while the "fretboard" layout may be exactly perfect for guitar players, it takes a little front-brain thinking for me to zip around on it. But the light guides help quite a bit. Slides are do-able (ish), but it ain't a Continuum. Still, no regrets there either.

The Roli never felt right to me, so I never got one - and I'm glad I didn't because for me the Osmose seems more playable and more like what I hoped the Roli would be.

For me, the K-Board Pro4 is the only real competition for the Osmose, but it's not apples-to-apples. The K-Board feels a bit weird to play since the keys don't really move - but it DOES have front-to-back sensors, which the Osmose doesn't have. I've played both, and although the Osmose I played was a rough prototype it took no time to adjust to it. You can move your fingers purely by reflex and what you expect will happen is exactly what happens. The K-Board is just a little too different to a normal, switch-based keyboard and it takes a bit more time to adjust to it. Not a huge price difference if you get in on the pre-order price for the Osmose too.

So for me I think the Osmose will get the coveted position front-and-center.

BONES wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:45 amWhat "shake gesture"? If you mean wiggling your finger to get vibrato, they all do that.
No, not that. Watch the videos on their website that go through all the gestures to see what's it about. Allows you to do tremolo picking sort of stuff, which no other MPE controller can do.

BONES wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:45 am How is that not Pitch Bend?
Hi, Bones. I really have no time to explain this to you personally, as I've done it partially in this thread and more extensively in the 'Roli Seaboard RISE' thread... Or else Hink might restrict me from writing/posting.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:13 am Obviously, it actually feels like actual keys and not like silicone which is weird, and the way black keys are set up on Roli makes playing certain chords much more difficult than on proper keys.
Not a Roil's thread but what do you mean, Mario? Roli's black keys go across the whole depth front to back of the surface, so chords should not be a problem.

I asked Expressive E in the comments on one of their Youtube video demos and they responded that the Pitch Bend range (presumably the one for the keys, not Pitch Bend Wheel or Slider) can be adjusted (not just to adjacent pitch).
I hope it is what it should be.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:13 amit actually feels like actual keys and not like silicone which is weird, and the way black keys are set up on Roli makes playing certain chords much more difficult than on proper keys.
Yes! The extended chord point can definitely be a little bit of an issue. However, the silicone material is a hugely integral factor in my enjoyment of playing the Seaboard :tu:

Pashkuli wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:28 am
EvilDragon wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:13 am Obviously, it actually feels like actual keys and not like silicone which is weird, and the way black keys are set up on Roli makes playing certain chords much more difficult than on proper keys.
Not a Roil's thread but what do you mean, Mario? Roli's black keys go across the whole depth front to back of the surface, so chords should not be a problem.
I mean Roli's controller doesn't feel like an actual keyboard, but a strange alien surface, and black keys are easier to miss than hit with the way they're designed. It's really hard to correctly hit, say, Cm7 chord, whereas it's a cinch on a regular keyboard.

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:56 am I mean Roli's controller doesn't feel like an actual keyboard, but a strange alien surface, and black keys are easier to miss than hit with the way they're designed. It's really hard to correctly hit, say, Cm7 chord, whereas it's a cinch on a regular keyboard.
That is true, though subjective. Some people like it. Me - I think they could have done it better.
Yes, I understand now what you mean. As someone said in the RISE's thread, it was not meant to resemble nor represent a piano keyboard, rather a new "dimensional touch" or whatever "squishy" feel it is.

The Osmose definitely would not replace a seaboard for me as I quite like the squishy alien feeling of it, it's a different instrument. I'd never play a piano on it but I love it for what it does. I have a harder time with the linnstrument actually, which is the reverse of what I expected. I thought I'd take to the linnstrument easier, being a guitar player. But I'm finding myself either wanting to play a standard piano keyboard or the Rise.

I'll have to think about this one for a while. Would have liked to try it first, but that's a big price increase after the early bird price.

Here's a plan - get the early bird price, sell it closer to retail price if you don't like it, after it's released to the masses. PROFIT!

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:09 pm I have a harder time with the linnstrument actually, which is the reverse of what I expected.
They are just different keyboard instruments (although technically Seaboard, Linnstrument, Sensel do not have keys per se). Linnstrument is a grid cell layout, can be configured to whatever scales, chords... somehow similar to Madrona, Axis-64 or Terpstra.

This article by Rodger Linn and the currently presented Osmose, can prove that sometimes even techy geniuses might be wrong on certain claims.

Why the Piano's Note Layout Doesn't Work for Expressive Musical Control, but LinnStrument's does

I wish we could see some kind of collaboration between Expressive E, Haken Audio, Linn Design and Touchkeys. Yes, not going to be cheap (49 keys of Osmose is around $1800 at the moment).

EvilDragon wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:46 pm Here's a plan - get the early bird price, sell it closer to retail price if you don't like it, after it's released to the masses. PROFIT!
Do it then. Practice what you preach. :pray:

If I get one (which is quite likely, to make some company to my Rise 49), I probably wouldn't want to sell it. :)
Pashkuli wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:49 pm(49 keys of Osmose is around $1800 at the moment).
Wrong. AT THE MOMENT, it is $1080 if you preorder before end of year.

Ah, pre-order. I see. That is good. So my estimation a few days ago was somehow close that 61 keys might cost around $2000US (with VAT in Europe, slightly more). $1080 is not that bad, but only for 49 keys. If the dendency is to go down with "some investment" it will become a market leader in 2-3 years.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”