2020 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

PS

Mushy I already have them power supplies for the 2 BOSS pedals, what I meant for the TD3's was something like this mate

So I could run the synths from them.. Would it work?

rob_lee wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:31 pm PS

Mushy I already have them power supplies for the 2 BOSS pedals, what I meant for the TD3's was something like this mate

Yes, definitely. Most likely better too given the dedicated outputs.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

yup, should be fine. i run a monotribe off mine ocassionally.
just check polarity and size of your plugs against the pedal plug. if theyre the same youre golden.
some pedal power also give the option to switch polarity.

never used this one personally, but it got great reviews and is used by some people i trust to know their shit.
Last edited by vurt on Sat May 23, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:32 pm

Yes, definitely. Most likely better too given the dedicated outputs.
Cheers Mushy I'll get one I also like them cables from Thomann, just hope they do longer ones as my gear is situated in weird places lol

Oh, should probably expand on my previous post.

The mixer is an older Spirit, and she's a beauty. From a bigger studio (than mine, lol), to my own humble home setup.

Pedals this time around are a Rat (finally!) and a Sentry - probably a good time to get the latter, considering the former, haha.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 1:55 pm Spent €500 this week at Thomann on furniture and not sure how I feel about that. €500 but nothing makes a noise.
It does if you have drumsticks. :D

My 0-Ctrl arrived and I've kind of forgotten about lunch or whatever else it was I was going to do today... It feels really good, and it's seriously fun and inspiring :)

thats what i said!

Ordered a small b-stock Harley Benton pedalboard for my bass effects, and a cheap LED mirrorball (Varytec LED Hellball 3 RGB).

Picked up a used Drumbrute and a new Drumbrute Impact.

Check the power ratings of the synths: that Voodoo power supply can go up to 400mA on some outputs, but synths often require more. I ended up building my own for synths, while a Voodoo Mondo powers my MoogerFoogers.
Also mind the polarity if you use that Voodoo power supply (it's center negative like most pedals, while most synths are center positive).

On another well know forum, some people created a spreadsheet to collect the power requirement of musical devices (synths, pedals, controllers...).
There are not many devices (maybe because it's on Airtable instead of a more known platform like Google Docs?), but you may still find something useful.
I contributed with a few devices (and I should add a few since the my last contribution).

https://airtable.com/tbl2aDGtQspVdiQgJ/ ... locks=hide
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

I bought the Moog Subsequent 37 (actually my wife bought it for me on my birthday back in February).

One, of many, nice things with that is that I completely lost my apetite for sofysyntths. I also hooked up my old hw syntths. And I've probably buy some more hw synths. It is REALLY so much nicer to use and work with the real thing. And yes - with a hw machine you do actually really work with it.

What easily happens, for me at least, when one got a zillion softsyntths is that one tend to just browse presets and, at times, do minor changes. Like fiddling a little with the ADSR or so.

Also - the sound of this Moog mahcien is really much richer and powerful then any Moog emulation I own. But you need to have the real thing to really hear that. You don't quite do that listening on a YouTube demo.

Sure you'd get more for the money in terms of eatures. The Subsequent is "only" a two osc + 1 sub osc story. But the sound is really huge !

Besides it looks great ! :party:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBxzUWxL_ZI

sin night wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:24 am

Check the power ratings of the synths: that Voodoo power supply can go up to 400mA on some outputs, but synths often require more.
The Harley Benton PSUs I use for my effect pedals offer high amperage at a low price.
Harley Benton PowerPlant ISO-2 Pro (the range has smaller and a larger model, too)
sin night wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:24 am Also mind the polarity if you use that Voodoo power supply (it's center negative like most pedals, while most synths are center positive).
In case anyone runs into trouble with that, tiny adapter cables are available.

vurt wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 6:35 pm thats what i said!
Whoah, I must have blacked out and missed a couple of pages there.

Been trying my new FX pedals BOSS DD500 & RV500 out on a few synths last night (didn't sleep till 5am) tried them on Mono Station, MS-1, TD-3 and Crave, it's hard for anything to sound bad with these really. Midi control and features on these pedals are fantastic. I will be investing in the BOSS MD500 next for sure and I just ordered the TC Juno Chorus pedal to put in the chain, really liked the sound of that one.
By far tho my best purchase has to be the ASM Hydra desk top, this thing is absolutely my favourite hardware synth.

sin night wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:24 am

Check the power ratings of the synths: that Voodoo power supply can go up to 400mA on some outputs, but synths often require more. I ended up building my own for synths, while a Voodoo Mondo powers my MoogerFoogers.
Also mind the polarity if you use that Voodoo power supply (it's center negative like most pedals, while most synths are center positive).
yup, this!
some power packs do give a couple of outputs with a polarity switch for those awkward pedals too.

i wouldnt suggest using such a thing for anything more than the td3, as most other things will indeed need more juice :)
synths that can run on a few aa's or a nine v battery should be fine.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”