Korg wavestate

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

MFXxx wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:49 pm I'm still daily to understand why korg feel keyboardist and synth players want these micro keyboards. Waste of space for anyone with larger hands or used to the stretching and reaching for full size key notes.
Module will be well received tbh.
Wavestate has 37 full size keys.
So reaching for notes is no issue.
You mix up with MiniLogue and MonoLogue or something.

Only thing I miss is a expression pedal input to have handsfree.
Other than that more that thrilled over Wavestate.
But expression is supported from a master keyboard for those doing live gigs.

And to help newcomers in particular and full help page on each performance would be really good, hope for a firmware upgrade on this. There are so many things of modulations in the factory performances - what knobs do what - joustick do this etc so just a page giving hint of main things there. Easy to miss.

TIP! Look through modulations of a performance you load and there is a universe of things there how you make the sounding notes alter behavior. Speed knob do this, Shape knob do that etc. The performance transform into many more things than as just loaded.

If you don't want to build sequences, just load single multisample in one part and you got a synth with 4 layered sounds. Hundreds of those.

Or combine as you please sequenced stuff. There are presets for every level - set list of 64 performances on buttons, as many as you please loading conveniently on 16 button in 4 banks.

Performance as mentioned, up to 4 layers of programs. Joystick can control not only balance on layers, you can even turn that off, but just modulations on each layer if you want. Then 8 knobs for the same thing on performance level.

Each layer contain a program preset altered as you please, just as starting point. When saving Performance these changes are there. Unlit the performance button and 8 knobs are for each layer if you want to tweak things on this level - like live.

A program is either a single multisample and the normal synth stuff on that, like envelopes and filters and 4xlfo's and effects. Or a wavesequence preset(about 1000 factory there) instead of single multisample, with the same synth things on top.

A wavesequence is a lane, timing, sample, pitch, gate, shape and stepseq. And there are presets on this level too, for things you reuse. Each lane is up to 64 steps.

Then you can create hundreds of modulations between anything you can think of.

Just a single performance you load with the joystick and 8 mod knobs and everything else on panel for the active layer - is like 100 synths. What kind of bubbling iterations you want going on or swirling sounds with increased intensity. With a knob you alter anything like suddenly only step 8-12 is played in one of the lanes, sample or other, making an interesting evolution of what is going on.

I looked at some clever things that were made with other synths and cross modulations with selfgenerating patches - that were really cool.

But Wavestate is in a division of it's own regarding this. The depth is silly deep really - and so much easier to accomplish with wavesequencing, believe it or not.

I feel all comfy with working on the unit with everything there. Some scream for editor - but just having the unit on my lap in a comfy chair is really good. They did a real good job to work on unit as it is IMO.

But to like it your mindset must be prepared it takes a while to master, but there is so much to pick and choose from right away that you have fun doing that learning curve too. Anybody used to make their own synth presets will quickly feel at home. And new ideas emerge - what if I would....

Sorry if this sounds silly, but does Korg Wavestate have built-in speakers or do we need some external amp for hearing the sounds?

No speakers, just phones out and two line out.

lfm wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:09 am No speakers, just phones out and two line out.
Okay, so my doubt was correct. Thanks for the clarification.

Just to confirm, one needs Wavestate to be either connected to headphones or external amp/speaker or to your DAW/audio interface inputs using line outs to hear it. Right?

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:16 am
lfm wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:09 am No speakers, just phones out and two line out.
Okay, so my doubt was correct. Thanks for the clarification.

Just to confirm, one needs Wavestate to be either connected to headphones or external amp/speaker or to your DAW/audio interface inputs using line outs to hear it. Right?
Yeah. Same as the majority of synths. TBH there are only a handful of older vintage synths that had their own speakers...and home organ kinda things -Yamaha etc. I can't think of any real synths off the top of my head that you don't need to connect to an amp, soundcard, mixer or headphones.

I think Jupiter X have own speakers too, otherwise just arranger keyboards AFAIK. Home digital pianos often too, furniture style ones. Retro Arp 2600 too, I believe.

So having a digital piano around, there might be aux inputs to use that amp for Wavestate.

Okay, thanks guys. It is a useful information for me. Being novice at hardware synths, that is actually a bummer for me.

Normally we think of MIDI keyboards as those that don't produce their own sounds and any synthesizer keyboard to produce sound on its own. But guess synths are no different here, since they also need an "external" equipment to eventually produce sound.

I got a bit interested in Wavestate, but I need to rethink now...

Just get an adapter from line out and over to your hifi amp if any around.
If you need sound out in the room you are sitting in.

Or what is called active monitors - that each speaker has an amp inside - used for mixing from computers and stuff.

There are loads of ways to get sound out in a room. For $30 or so you can get a broadcaster som 3.5mm stereo outlet to a radio near you. You set which frequency and you dial in on radio. I used in my car since not having aux input on car stereo.

To even operate Wavestate you need a mindset to find solutions
- how do I do that?
- and enjoy finding a way to do that

If in a band you have a PA to run through etc. Or get a small practise amp for $100. For keyboard you most often use a full range amp, so not so limited in frequency range as guitar amps.

So there is no need for speaker , just about, to have cost of a good amp and speaker in every unit.
And have some tiny speakers will not do it justice anyway, unless in headphones.

It is a 37 key(3 octave full size) unit.

But being all new to hardware Wavestate might not be the best introduction - unless you have some programming experience and that mindset, kind of. But an incredible creative tool to explore new soundscapes.

Good luck with whatever choice you make....

Thank you for your time and suggestions. :)
Or what is called active monitors - that each speaker has an amp inside - used for mixing from computers and stuff.
This sounds like a great idea, did not think about it until now. I realized I am going to buy new pair of monitors this year, so old ones can be used for synth. :)

However, I also realized what you have mentioned about Wavestate not being the ideal choice as my first hardware synth. Wavestate will surely be difficult for me, but the only thing is its price. Its price is something I can try to afford. Other synths are just completely out of my range.

I would like a 49-key synth. but 37-key is completely fine for me to help reduce the cost. If you don't mind me asking, do you have a quick suggestion for any other synth in similar price range with keys? Something that could be analog/digital/hybrid and would be fun and useful for genres like modern alternative/pop/electronic music.

To explore first hardware look at Modal Argon 8 37 key version, it's about $100 cheaper than Wavestate 37 key version.
But I think it's really good. Good quality Fatar keybed with aftertouch.
Look at YT.

And they are released in a whole bunch of variations with 88 keys and desktop module too.
https://www.modalelectronics.com/argon8/

Others with full size keys and aftertouch are Behringer DeepMind, really, really good analog synth. I have 6-voice version which is way cheaper, like $200 less than Wavestate. But DeepMind 12 is also cheaper than Wavestate, about $100, and larger 49 key keyboard.

lfm wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:59 pm To explore first hardware look at Modal Argon 8 37 key version, it's about $100 cheaper than Wavestate 37 key version.
But I think it's really good. Good quality Fatar keybed with aftertouch.
Look at YT.

And they are released in a whole bunch of variations with 88 keys and desktop module too.
https://www.modalelectronics.com/argon8/

Others with full size keys and aftertouch are Behringer DeepMind, really, really good analog synth. I have 6-voice version which is way cheaper, like $200 less than Wavestate. But DeepMind 12 is also cheaper than Wavestate, about $100, and larger 49 key keyboard.
Thank you so much. Those two are really good suggestions. I have heard good things about DeepMind. :tu:

Considering the local converted prices are high here, I might need to think about DeepMind 6 rather than 12. Both Argon 8 and DeepMind 6 seem to have same price here.

Both of these need external amp, right? Of course I will check, but since you have it, it would be best to get a confirmation from you.

I will check both of them on YouTube for the sounds. :)

For synhts it's exeptional cases with speakers. So no speakers on those.
Your active monitors will be useful in either case.

lfm wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:14 pm For synhts it's exeptional cases with speakers. So no speakers on those.
Your active monitors will be useful in either case.
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your kind help. It will be best to limit myself to fewest choices possible and keep the cost as low as I can, but at the same time get something that sounds great. ARGON8 and DeepMind 6 look like the best options to choose one from. :tu:

So this has the MS-20 and Polysix emulated filters. Does the wavestate pull off a good polysix emulation? I assume it has analog waveforms, and perhaps a similar chorus? If anyone has tried, I'd be interested to know.
<List your stupid gear here>

This looks incredibly interesting. Has anyone been able to get some good time into it and could vouch for it?
Take care :wink:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”