Monitors for a small semi-treated room (Dynaudio BM5 mkIII or Dynaudio LYD7? EDIT: bought Dynaudio Bm5 MkIII)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hahahaha awesome

3ee wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:20 pm IMO, having a sub is mandatory.. I mean, after I got one I always wondered how I could work without one. I think a 5 inch woofer may still be too small even if you have a sub for electronic music cause you need to ‘feel’ the punch better. port.
Yeah, I'm the same. I went for some 5" Genelec monitors and added a Genelec sub shortly afterwards. Cant imagine how I managed before then. My mixes improved so much. I've used the same setup in 4 different rooms now, from large to small. In smaller spaces its best to mix at lower volumes, which is where a balanced sub really shines. Obviously you need to spend time finding the sweet spot for sub placement.

I've tried to reach few shops with showrooms in my area but it appears that they don't have what I'm looking for. Mostly they only have cheaper stuff in stock, like KRK or Fluid Audio, everything else has to be ordered.

So I'm going to order Dynaudio LYD-7. In the worst case if they don't fit my room at all, which I hope won't happen, I could just sell them.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:26 pm Going to audition the Dynaudios (BM5 mkIII, LYD5 and LYD7), hope this weekend.
Hey, I was in the same situation few months ago, same room size, searching for a set of monitors for psytrance. After checking around 20 sets of monitors (different price range), I got the BM5 MKIII.
The LYD5 is not in the same ligue as BM5 MKIII, maybe because of the size or maybe because the LYD series are just worse.
Also, if you're getting the 7" make sure you have got enough bass traps. I got 4x244 GIK in front of me, and it's OK, but if I had another 4 on the back wall it would be perfect.

roman.i wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:55 am
recursive one wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:26 pm Going to audition the Dynaudios (BM5 mkIII, LYD5 and LYD7), hope this weekend.
Hey, I was in the same situation few months ago, same room size, searching for a set of monitors for psytrance. After checking around 20 sets of monitors (different price range), I got the BM5 MKIII.
The LYD5 is not in the same ligue as BM5 MKIII, maybe because of the size or maybe because the LYD series are just worse.
Also, if you're getting the 7" make sure you have got enough bass traps. I got 4x244 GIK in front of me, and it's OK, but if I had another 4 on the back wall it would be perfect.
Thanks for the input!
If I'm not mistaken, BM5 MKIII has 7 inch woofer and LYD5 has 5 inch. And there is LYD7 which is 7 inch, which is somewhat more expensive than BM5 MKIII - so I suppose they must be newer/better etc.

How is your experience with BM5 MKIII? Great that you are also making psytrance, how do they play that bass? (i mean typcal galloping psybass, 16ths with a sharp attack).

I've got huge floor to ceiling DIY basstraps of rockwool in all 4 corners.

recursive one wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:11 pm Thanks for the input!
If I'm not mistaken, BM5 MKIII has 7 inch woofer and LYD5 has 5 inch. And there is LYD7 which is 7 inch, which is somewhat more expensive than BM5 MKIII - so I suppose they must be newer/better etc.

How is your experience with BM5 MKIII? Great that you are also making psytrance, how do they play that bass? (i mean typcal galloping psybass, 16ths with a sharp atteck).

I've got huge floor to ceiling DIY basstraps of rockwool in all 4 corners.
When I got them, I was somewhat disappointed because they didn't had that clarity and depth like when I listened to them in the shop. Well, the reason was the streaming in MP3 320Kb/s, that the first time I experienced that MP3 clearly wasn't enough and had to upgrade to lossless streaming subscription.
Regarding the LYD series, they are newer but I'm not sure they are better. Yes, I compared BM 7" to LYD 5", because that's what they had in the shop. I think LYD got the same clarity but they lack of depth(reverbs, delays) like the BM5, but again that's maybe because of the size.
BM5 MKIII covers the range of frequencies in the bass for psytrance, and they're revealing issues, so don't expect everything to sound good.

Great, thanks!
roman.i wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:08 pm they're revealing issues, so don't expect everything to sound good.
I thinks thats' what good monitors are supposed to do, aren't they?

recursive one wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:15 pm I thinks thats' what good monitors are supposed to do, aren't they?
They should reveal things, but I hope they reveal the right things in the right way for the relevant applications...

Heard from colleague that loves and uses Dynaudio BM6A MK1, he regards them as monitors with huge depth, that two way LYD's are different than BM series depth vise, also they lack low end, transients seem over exaggerated...seems like Dynaudio BM5A MK3 are less gamble overall and more true to old Dynaudio signature.

recursive one wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:06 am Mostly they only have cheaper stuff in stock, like KRK or Fluid Audio, everything else has to be ordered.
Did they had FX or FPX Fluids?

roman.i ...sounds like the shop had better speaker placement, room and ac treatment if they didn’t sound so good once you brought them home. Regarding your comments of extra depth for the older Dynaudio model, were they placed on the ‘outside’ (giving it a larger stereo image) to the other pair? A true comparison needs to ultimately be placed in the exact same place (incl height) ..not familiar with those dynaudio models tho, just saying..

Passing Bye wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:33 pm Heard from colleague that loves and uses Dynaudio BM6A MK1, he regards them as monitors with huge depth, that two way LYD's are different than BM series depth vise, also they lack low end, transients seem over exaggerated...seems like Dynaudio BM5A MK3 are less gamble overall and more true to old Dynaudio signature.
Thanks!

I also found this comparion, in a nutshell, LYD7 are more analytical, BM5 MKiii sound nicer, that's what I understood.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much ... -user.html

Also Mkiii go down to 42 Hz and LDY7 only to 45 (not sure how much would it matter in my room).

Also I could get BM5 MKiii and Sonarworks Reference (whicih I need anyway) for the same price as LYD7 alone.
Passing Bye wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:37 pm Did they had FX or FPX Fluids?
FX

Personal preference kicks in more than anything, maybe you would find LYD's more favorable to BM's, also maybe that transient response is just the thing you are after, not finding BM6A sound-a-like or having that preference, maybe you aren't into that sound at all.

It's good deal with Sonaworks for sure.

Did you happen to hear those Fluids? FX8?

Passing Bye wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:44 pm Personal preference kicks in more than anything, maybe you would find LYD's more favorable to BM's, also maybe that transient response is just the thing you are after, not finding BM6A sound-a-like or having that preference, maybe you aren't into that sound at all.

It's good deal with Sonaworks for sure.

Did you happen to hear those Fluids? FX8?
Frankly I didn't bother with checking the Fluids just because of the price, they are cheaper than my current KRKs :? A bit hard to beliveve they would be comparable in quality to Dynaudios or Adams in the price range I'm targeting. But if they are, then great, will check them out :)

Well, it appears I would unlikely have the chance to check the monitors before the purchase, that's the shithole i live in :( So I have to go by the recommendations mostly. At least BM5 MKiii seem a safe purchase.

The main difference was because of the streaming audio quality, not the room.
That shop has a well prepared listening room, with a computer streaming lossless audio and a switch between monitors, all monitors were in the same wooden rack, so no difference in monitor placement.

Regarding the nicer sound, the BM5 is a "producer monitor" like the KRK RP G3 so yes it sounds nice and it's fun to work with.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”