Problems with my Novation SL MKIII keys... Or Not?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:24 pm
Tino Fiumara wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:51 pm MY ISSUE: Now, my real concern is that when I play the keys for the first time, any key of any octaves, black, white, C,D, etc... That first press feels like the key is slighty embedded or stick, doesn't feel normal, the second time I press the same key that sesation is gone and feels good and normal. Let's say that I stop playing for half an hour and comeback and play again, that sensation of ''stickness'' returns until I play the same key or chord for a second time and is gone again.

Is it maybe because the keyboard is new? I don't remember the initial feeling of the Akai when I first bought it, that was a few years ago so I can't compare it.

Is this common on new MIDI keyboards? Is it a Novation SL MKIII thing? Or is my keyboard defectuous?
Totally normal IMO. Both my keyboards (Novation Impulse 49 and Arturia MiniLab mk2) have that, and my former keyboard, a M-Audio Axiom 49 2nd gen had it as well. Not sure what the mechanical explanation is, but, be assured that it's pretty common.

Most people probably won't even notice, that's the problem with us sensitive people, we notice stuff like that. ;)
Well, I have an Akai MPK225 and a few weeks ago I bought a Moog Grandmother, both keyboards feel great and don't have the issue that the Novation's has.

I feel that if we paid for a product and the product does not deliver the quality that we demand
we have the right to speak out about it, at the end of the day the SL MKIII is Novation's flagship MIDI Keyboard and isn't cheap. Features wise is the best thing on the market IMO, if it wasn't for that problem with the key feel would have been the perfect MIDI controller.

PAK wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:05 am Likely the keys are making slight contact with something inside the keyboard. After being left untouched for a while the key "sticks" to whichever surface it's coming into contact with. Once pressed it won't adhere unless left alone again. Room temperature and humidity may play a role in stuff like this.

Previous generations (MkI and MkII) had a rubber strip which ran along the top of the keys. The idea was to deaden the sound they made (less clacky), but it didn't really work. I don't see it on the MKIII photos, but perhaps something equivalent is inside there, just out of sight?

On the previous keyboards you could remove the strip without issue. Though, I must add, even with it IIRC they didn't have this issue even from new.

I'd open it, examine what the keys are coming into contact with, and - if it doesn't seem like you can easily realign anything by 1 or 2mm, lubricate the likely contact point with a small amount of something like silicone grease. Less is more, especially if the contact point is the velocity measurement strip! Try it on a single key or two first, if unsure.

If the MKIII is anything like previous ones there's about 40 screws to get there. If more than one of you have the issue, and it bothers you enough, I'd contact Novation to ask as it seems like a materials / assembly issue which could be avoided. If it's something like the springs themselves then there's maybe not a whole lot you can do..
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not too handy when it comes to open and repairing electronic devices, so I would probably use the warranty.I wrote to Novation a few weeks ago and sent them a video explaning the issue, but is going to take a while because of this coronavirus problem.

Here is the link to the video, is in Spanish but it has english subtitles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQcl7mHI7pg

Any update from Novation?

Thanks!

person147 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:28 pm Any update from Novation?

Thanks!
They wanted to replace my unit, but I gave it a second thought and bought a LaunchPad MK3, sent the SL back to Amazon.

Novation is great with its customer service.

Tino Fiumara wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:48 pm Novation is great with its customer service.
Absolutely. I had some great experience with them as well.

To add to what's been said... My SL MKIII has never had this problem. Not when it was new, not a year and a half later. So, my recommendation - would be to return it for a non-defective unit... if it has stiff or sticky keys.

/two cents

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”