$2000 Analog synth module (not a modular one) for Dance music production

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, My last piece of hw synth was virus TI2 and now I would like to pick a hardware synth which has at least 6 voices, built in effect, analog, nice to have FM and not a modular one. With this budget, I am thinking of Dave smith's synth, Analog 4 MK2 and Peak. I would like to hear from you if I have missed anything in the market which is still in production and within my budget. (not 2nd hand synth).

Thanks!
Cowby

Get yourself 3 deep mind 12 modules for that price :)

Or korg minilogue xd desktop and deep mind 12 module. :)

Or build a powerful PC if you already don't have and buy Repro 5 :D

Deepmind and Korg minilogue XD ... Can they do audio over USB ? My sound interface has limited I/O

No. Also it's unlikely any analog synth will give you this. Peak might offer usb but it's not analog synthesizer, it only has analog filter.

What kind of dance music?

Analog synths can do what you want most likely, but they may also not be the best choice compared to something digital

vitocorleone123 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:43 am What kind of dance music?

Analog synths can do what you want most likely, but they may also not be the best choice compared to something digital
You can do any kind of dance music with analog synths (taking in to account you would also be using external effects like distortion), but indeed they arent always the best choice, simply due to dificulty to get certain sounds, especialy for those where the common practise is to use FM or Wavetable (taking in to accound the wavetables are provided) synthesis.

cowby wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:46 am Can they do audio over USB ? My sound interface has limited I/O
Your DAW will not like having to connect to both your main audio interface and the synth's USB port. If these are set to different sampling rates (some devices are fixed to 48kHz) then that will be a problem.

Are you on Mac or Windows?
- On a Mac you can create an Aggregate Device
- On Windows there's Asio4All in Einstein mode to do the same

Note that if the clocks of both audio devices have a slight drift (guaranteed they do, only question is by how much) then something has to give way in order to keep them synced to the same sample rate.

Just saying: a synth with its own audio over USB doesn't solve your problem but only gives more headaches.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

vitocorleone123 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:43 am What kind of dance music?

Trance and sometimes Ambi.

Agree but as I said I have Virus TI2 which I owned it for more than 8 years. Now I am looking for (or investing) an Analog synth with sonic difference. I want to use it to make some kick/snare, ambi pads, plucks and bass. Although you may say Virus can do it all and again, I want another sonic and sound difference. Like you use Canon can take good photos but why not try Sony or Nikon ?

BertKoor wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:59 am
cowby wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:46 am Can they do audio over USB ? My sound interface has limited I/O
Your DAW will not like having to connect to both your main audio interface and the synth's USB port. If these are set to different sampling rates (some devices are fixed to 48kHz) then that will be a problem.

Are you on Mac or Windows?
- On a Mac you can create an Aggregate Device
- On Windows there's Asio4All in Einstein mode to do the same

Note that if the clocks of both audio devices have a slight drift (guaranteed they do, only question is by how much) then something has to give way in order to keep them synced to the same sample rate.

Just saying: a synth with its own audio over USB doesn't solve your problem but only gives more headaches.
The Virus TI2 works very well in this regards in my PC system (Windows 10)

Prophet Rev 2, comes in 8 or 16 voice.
Novation Peak might fit your bill, too. It's a bit of a hybrid but it's analogue where it counts.
Deepmind 12 is also a contender, I suppose.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Guess there's no easy solution.. Waldorf Pulse 2 is something to consider if you're into anything electronic, but it's a mono (paraphonic though). Accompany it with some analog poly like deepmind 12D for polyphonic stuff.

If 2k is your budget, those two cost together around 1k, so you have 1k left for a new interface or a mixer.

Yeah, you don't want to record your expensive synth with some cheap interface. You need $500+ for that as well. Otherwise you'll throw your money away.

excuse me please wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:52 am Yeah, you don't want to record your expensive synth with some cheap interface. You need $500+ for that as well. Otherwise you'll throw your money away.
Can you prove this?
Of course,you cannot...
Btw, many "cheap" audio interfaces right now are better than expensive audio interfaces from the past.

anomandaris1 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:09 am
excuse me please wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:52 am Yeah, you don't want to record your expensive synth with some cheap interface. You need $500+ for that as well. Otherwise you'll throw your money away.
Can you prove this?
Of course,you cannot...
Btw, many "cheap" audio interfaces right now are better than expensive audio interfaces from the past.
Name a few then. You are wasting time.

excuse me please wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:29 am
anomandaris1 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:09 am
Can you prove this?
Of course,you cannot...
Name a few then. You are wasting time.
Behringer, Focusrite, Audient etc.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”