Erae Touch - All-around MIDI 2.0 controller?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just stumbled upon this one on Music Radar:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/er ... ref=8n2cop

Well, it has it all. Multi-touch panel with MPE, customisable layout and colors, large surface, apparent durability - can play it with drumsticks. Heh, even easy to clean.

If only it doesn't break a month after purchase, it looks like the holy grail of controllers to me :love:
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Thanks for sharing this, turns out this's exactly what I'd been looking for in a controller that I could use together with the program I use to sequence my gear. Excited to see how it works out.. The company seem like a good one and I like this growing trend of a focus in sustainability in the design of gear.

DJ Warmonger wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:51 am
If only it doesn't break a month after purchase, it looks like the holy grail of controllers to me :love:
1 month: Warranty!
2 years.....let's see, I already backed one.
Best
YY

I wonder how many midi keys can be displayed.
Interested but $695 is bit too much.
Only three are left to purchase.

The size is small enough for the area I am considering.

I have one on pre-order... I cannot say no to quality MPE stuff!

It's just like a Roli Lightpad Block, only on a larger scale. Very cool! I was watching the video, thinking how good it would look on stage with my bandmate playing drums on one and me doing keys on another, with the laptop off to one side where it wasn't noticeable. My only worry would be that it's already 6 months overdue and they haven't updated the shipping date. Maybe it will never see the light of day, like so many crowdfunded things.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

When you preorder do you also prepay?

Yes, you do. That's what Kickstarter is for - to give the company funds to make the thing.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

^^^
Yea, That makes sense!
I likely will not get it.
Concerned about 2021 delivery and something going wrong with the product.
I will wait for some new innovation.
If only the iPad Pro had velocity sensing.

BONES wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:38 am It's just like a Roli Lightpad Block, only on a larger scale. Very cool! I was watching the video, thinking how good it would look on stage with my bandmate playing drums on one and me doing keys on another, with the laptop off to one side where it wasn't noticeable. My only worry would be that it's already 6 months overdue and they haven't updated the shipping date. Maybe it will never see the light of day, like so many crowdfunded things.
I pre-ordered in early May and they have been sending me general updates since. The first batch of boards they received were not to the standard they expected and had to be redone. Then there were the worldwide shipping delays that arose from the Suez Canal incident.

And at this point, it is looking decent according to their latest update which was about 2 1/2 weeks ago. According to that update, they should have now received the new updated boards. There is then some assembly. Then mid August they said the first units will be shipping out.

What I have not received since is an update that says "we received the boards and are happy with them and now it is just a matter of time to get units shipping". That would be a welcome update since there was already the one inadequate batch.

What I have also not received is any update specific to my order. I have no idea if the batch of boards they received is adequate to cover all pre-orders up until mine or if mine will be a later batch and so on. In this regard, their communication could be clearer.

BONES wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:38 am It's just like a Roli Lightpad Block, only on a larger scale. Very cool!
I've never had opportunity to try the Lightpad Block. Some people have complained about it not being sensitive enough.

My only concern with the Erae Touch is the sensitivity and how controllable it is. I tend towards a light touch. A light playing touch all the way to drumsticks is a huge range. If they pull that off well, I will be a very happy customer, whenever it shows up.

It's interesting how your head can't deal with some of this stuff. You have to hit a key on a keyboard hard/fast because it needs to travel downward enough to trigger a note and if you do it slowly, it wont' trigger at the right time. Your brain does this automatically, you don't need to think about it. But with a touch sensitive surface, as soon as you make contact, it registers. That allows you a whole extra range of expressive possibilities you don't get from a normal keyboard.

For you and this thing, I think a lot of it will come down to what you use it with. I noticed that using my Seaboard with GR-8, which has no velocity sensitivity, that the lightest touch will trigger a note, yet for most things I find I have to press much harder. Until I found some medication to get my arthritis under control, I thought I was going to have to give up on the Seaboard. I'll try GR-8 with the Lightpad Block tonight and see how that goes.

I really should make the effort to learn how the notes work on that thing. Again, picking one of those tiny things up on stage (I have two so that my bandmate and I aren't constantly fighting over it) and ripping out a solo would be pretty cool. At the moment it seems completely random to me but there's an illustration on the Erae Touch site that overlays their grid with notes. I assume there is the same thing going on in the Lightpad, I just need to work it out (or find out). RTFM would probably solve it for me.

Looks good to me: https://youtu.be/ZmmrtLwYkow

I wish their communication was more frequent but I’m sure they are busy. I like the fact that they:
1. Rejected their first batch of boards. Tells me they have a sense of quality.
2. Improved their product during the delay, including a redesign of the surface component after a consult with Roger Linn (Linnstrument)
3. Want this to be as good as we do.

This is my first pre-order as a gift to myself, and I’m excited to see it this month, hopefully.

pdxindy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:14 pm
BONES wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:38 am It's just like a Roli Lightpad Block, only on a larger scale. Very cool!
I've never had opportunity to try the Lightpad Block. Some people have complained about it not being sensitive enough.

My only concern with the Erae Touch is the sensitivity and how controllable it is. I tend towards a light touch. A light playing touch all the way to drumsticks is a huge range. If they pull that off well, I will be a very happy customer, whenever it shows up.

This looks like something Dekker would play in Bladerunner. I have many questions about connectivity and I wonder when midi 2.0 will be a useable thing in VSTs that I use now, but I am intrigued.

Except Dekker played an upright piano in Bladerunner.

Anyway, it seems that the no. of available units has gone up. Last time I looked it was down to just 1, now there are 5. I assume that means some people have asked for their money back, which would be a good sign that these guys are on the level. I am still sorely tempted, especially as I spent yesterday working out how to play all the songs in our live set from my Lightpad Block and discovered it is very, very doable.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”