2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i have a 2i2 heh, probably running $25k worth of hw through it.

I'm assuming there's a mixer in between?

elxsound wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:02 pm I'm assuming there's a mixer in between?
Someone did give me an old mixer which i like, and thats good for the synths and guitar.
Modular is mixed in the rig then to the outboard or not depending on what im doin.

Guitar is kind of a prob as I have no real amp.
I need to choose a nice small amp at some point actually. For years, i just used software.

Haven't expected to get one from the current/last run.

NG_small.jpg

Unfortunately, summer is a bad time for making music in an attic apartment (last week there were even days where just being in my room was sort of impossible...).
Within the next weeks, I will rearrange my setup (the 2nd 7U/104 TE case has arrived as well) and give it a try for percussive/plucky stuff.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Got the new LC9 case today. Ive still got the old LC9 with the PSU3 transplant to fill, which I should get done tonight, but the other cases are now basically done; was testing everything as I went along, and of course got frequently distracted by even the simple of modules.
as a 'project' it wound up even more complex (and annoying) than previously described, and I wound up moving other gear around as well, and having to put in taller rack rails, but its nearly done.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Bought a positive grid Spark, not sure why as I just bought a yamaha thd30, love the “3rd” amp things though…and this is my third. Most of my smaller desktops and midi controllers are for the chop though, since going with akai I dont use controllers much.

pekbro wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:52 pm
elxsound wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:02 pm I'm assuming there's a mixer in between?
Someone did give me an old mixer which i like, and thats good for the synths and guitar.
Modular is mixed in the rig then to the outboard or not depending on what im doin.

I need to choose a nice small amp at some point actually. For years, i just used software.
I've always found the amp situation difficult for the same space problem with choosing eurorack housing.

I've got a 15(?) year old Roland cube that's moved with me across the county, and one of these small Blackstar amPlugs to plug directly to headphones (perfect for late-night practicing, which happens often).

I did not know about the Positive Grid Spark or the Yamaha thr30. I was only aware of the UA OX, which is overkill (based on price) for my needs (/justification).

I've been recording directly into the computer and a 2nd chain for the pedals. It's worked nicely so far. I even tried recording from the amPlug and it's clean, but I would not be surprised if it starts to short out later on.

LiteOn wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:21 am Haven't expected to get one from the current/last run.

NG_small.jpg

Unfortunately, summer is a bad time for making music in an attic apartment (last week there were even days where just being in my room was sort of impossible...).
Within the next weeks, I will rearrange my setup (the 2nd 7U/104 TE case has arrived as well) and give it a try for percussive/plucky stuff.
That's a nice surprise then! Every time I get curious about this one, I see the used market (x2-x3 pricing) and I'm less curious. :hihi:

I'm hoping with the attention they're getting, maybe by next year they'll be able to produce bigger batches?

For now, (especially as I'm new in the modular world) I'm looking to grab Optomix once it becomes available. I know it's not the same, but to get Mindphaser to be a littler more DPO, I think Optomix should bring to the table what I liked about DPO most.

Re cheap amps - I've heard very good things about those tiny 1 watt Orange and Blackstar amps. Ideal for home use.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

pekbro wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:52 pm

i replaced my old big stack when i moved here (no rehearsal space to keep it at :( ) with a little orange crush solid state thing. very nice for just noodling.
recording, i tend to go di, micing up the amp is a pain and its not like im using "guitar tones" as such, and to be honest, eqing and mixing di is a hell of a lot easier than sorting room noise without killing the sound too much.

obviously, if your studio isn't a front room that looks on to the road, you will have less noise than me :hihi:

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:51 pm Got the new LC9 case today. Ive still got the old LC9 with the PSU3 transplant to fill, which I should get done tonight, but the other cases are now basically done; was testing everything as I went along, and of course got frequently distracted by even the simple of modules.
as a 'project' it wound up even more complex (and annoying) than previously described, and I wound up moving other gear around as well, and having to put in taller rack rails, but its nearly done.
nice!
ill be honest, i hated moving the couple of bits i did the other day. so much so, ill just buy more rack space than deal with rearranging in future :lol:

saying that im really happy with my little "shoggoth" at the minute.
can't think of anything im in desperate need of.
give me a few months buying gifts for everyone else, im sure that will change and ill find something cool :lol:

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:48 pm Re cheap amps - I've heard very good things about those tiny 1 watt Orange and Blackstar amps. Ideal for home use.
I forgot I have the Blackstar Fly 3 too. It was a tough call between the Orange one. In the end for the reason I bought it, I prefer the amplug. With that said, the Fly 3 is a great practice amp especially for apartments. It can be pushed without getting too loud and still sound respectable.

I re-amp most things these days. I particularly love the added depth of mixing DI signal with signal recorded through a speaker and microphone. While I have an iso booth, I don't often use it. I really love the incidental sounds I capture with mics. Sometimes it's birds or a helicopter overhead. Sometimes I leave the ceiling fan on or turtle filter going, on purpose. I have lots of recordings where you can hear Brit playing video games in the back ground.

When mic'ing amps, the louder the better but volume also has a big impact on the characteristics of the speakers and microphone, so it's interesting to record at low levels. I always prefer combo amps or just a little 10w Class-d amp with a full range speaker, just because it's easier to deal with phase issues between mics, when most of the sound is coming from one place.

birds is one thing, constant traffic or sirens, not so much fun. then school time, scouse kids :o

Build a pillow fort and use it as an iso box. :hihi: 8)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”