2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

imrae wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:54 pm
elxsound wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:35 pm What Ikea furniture are you modifying? I kept seeing something about an Ikea Rast case that I don't think is available any more?
State of the rack, May 2021:
ikea-rack.jpg

The case is a £15 Ikea BESTÅ, from their modular TV cabinets / living-room range: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/besta-fram ... -80247413/

Be aware that the back board is very thin; it's ok supporting a bus board but you should plan to mount anything substantial on the back. There is also a shorter version of this case. and a few colour options:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/besta-fram ... -00260875/

At that price one could just chuck out the smaller one when upgrading to a larger case... but as you can see I'm using the extra space to keep things tidy :D

The width came in just slightly short of 110hp, so I sent measurements to synthracks to get a perfect set of rails with end plates. I expect there are cheaper sources of rail if you don't mind cutting it yourself.
@Imrae, I now have the round equivalent of your Ikea jars. I should have grabbed 6, but I was being too conservative with space. I now have an empty spot on my shelf well suited for two more.

elxsound wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:39 pm I ordered 1 of each... cable comb, magnetic ties, and some lightweight velcro ties.

I'm pretty sure I can make use of them all, so they shouldn't go to waste.
{aside} For reference, the 12 slot is 2-1/8" wide, and the teeth are 3/8" long, and over-all about an 1/8" thick, back to front. I use a box-knife to cut the 12 slot combs down to single and double width, as shown here. They are very unobtrusive, and will fit the cables you show above perfectly.
mod.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

elxsound wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:53 pm @Imrae, I now have the round equivalent of your Ikea jars. I should have grabbed 6, but I was being too conservative with space. I now have an empty spot on my shelf well suited for two more.
Looking snazzy!

Shabdahbriah wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:40 pm
elxsound wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:39 pm I ordered 1 of each... cable comb, magnetic ties, and some lightweight velcro ties.

I'm pretty sure I can make use of them all, so they shouldn't go to waste.
{aside} For reference, the 12 slot is 2-1/8" wide, and the teeth are 3/8" long, and over-all about an 1/8" thick, back to front. I use a box-knife to cut the 12 slot combs down to single and double width, as shown here. They are very unobtrusive, and will fit the cables you show above perfectly.

mod.jpg
Nice one! Thank you!

I don't want to give away what I'm getting next for fear they will be sold out everywhere :scared: :D

Constructed Identity wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:45 am I don't want to give away what I'm getting next for fear they will be sold out everywhere :scared: :D
Image Iz it a Badgermin?

pekbro wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:27 am
Constructed Identity wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:45 am I don't want to give away what I'm getting next for fear they will be sold out everywhere :scared: :D
Image Iz it a Badgermin?
We know who got the last one of those.
vurt wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:27 pm "somewhere" has "something" in stock :scared:
wonder if it will still be there at the end of the week when im not busy and can be home for delivery :cry:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Image Iz it a Badgermin?
I hope that's photoshop! :scared:

elxsound wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:16 am
I hope that's photoshop! :scared:
Well, not really. That is an actual dead badger apparently. *shrug

Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:55 am
Image Iz it a Badgermin?
vurt wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:27 pm "somewhere" has "something" in stock :scared:
wonder if it will still be there at the end of the week when im not busy and can be home for delivery :cry:
my "item" is still there :o
so far, ive resisted (im a bit skint :lol: ) get paid soon though :hyper:

vurt wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:48 pm
Shabdahbriah wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:55 am
Image Iz it a Badgermin?
my "item" is still there :o
so far, ive resisted (im a bit skint :lol: ) get paid soon though :hyper:
I’ve almost bought Otto Bam so many times. I finally stopped checking to see if it’s in stock and I’m trying to assume it’s gone everywhere.

For now I’ve been loading up IRs on Beebo hoping it’s enough (but I think we all know that it’s not).

I can say that IMO, the Microcosm is very good. It's putting a damper on pretty much everything I have used so far that covers granular or similar sonic territory. If you are after that epic ethereal sound, it's worth a look.

pekbro wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:32 pm I can say that IMO, the Microcosm is very good. It's putting a damper on pretty much everything I have used so far that covers granular or similar sonic territory. If you are after that epic ethereal sound, it's worth a look.

I’m definitely glad you like Microcosm… but I’m the lone one who didn’t like it (except for the lush verb).

I was more looking at Bam because of that classic reverb sound along with some optional analog saturation. My only hesitation is a result of knowing that Bim and Boum will likely follow the purchase. :scared:

elxsound wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:01 pm
pekbro wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:32 pm I can say that IMO, the Microcosm is very good. It's putting a damper on pretty much everything I have used so far that covers granular or similar sonic territory. If you are after that epic ethereal sound, it's worth a look.

I’m definitely glad you like Microcosm… but I’m the lone one who didn’t like it (except for the lush verb).

I was more looking at Bam because of that classic reverb sound along with some optional analog saturation. My only hesitation is a result of knowing that Bim and Boum will likely follow the purchase. :scared:
Yeah, I should have guessed you already tried the microcosm :lol: I recall I didn't ask about it here
before impulse buying it. Anyway, I like the design of it I guess, for me it work well and saves a lot
of time while sounding great. I don't like the single stereo input though, imo that's a bit weak.
I haven't used it on a guitar yet, though tbh I'm not really buying any of this stuff for that.
It's about synths for me, with the possible exception of the Strymon Iridium at some point.

As for reverb, I am still mulling on that one. I like the OTO Machines stuff for sure, but Big Skye
is tempting to me as well. I'm not sure I could get by with just one reverb in the end also I use
the Zoia verbs constantly. *shrug
Last edited by pekbro on Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pekbro wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:42 pm
elxsound wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:01 pm

Yeah, I should have guessed you already tried the microcosm :lol: I recall I didn't ask about it here
before impulse buying it. Anyway, I like the design of it I guess, for me it work well and saves a lot
of time while sounding great. I don't like the single stereo input though, imo that's a bit weak.

As for reverb, I am still mulling on that one. I like the OTO Machines stuff for sure, but Big Skye
is tempting to me as well. I'm not sure I could get by with just one reverb in the end also I use
the Zoia verbs constantly. *shrug
Two I’m considering, at the ambient end of things, are Meris Mercury 7 and EarthQuaker Afterneath. They’re a couple of hundred quid range each so not quite Strymon level, but probably not as many different algos.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”