2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
User avatar
elxsound
KVRAF
7456 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Post Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:12 pm

WatchTheGuitar wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:50 pm
pekbro wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:42 pm
elxsound wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:01 pm
pekbro wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:32 pm
I can say that IMO, the Microcosm is very good. It's putting a damper on pretty much everything I have used so far that covers granular or similar sonic territory. If you are after that epic ethereal sound, it's worth a look.

I’m definitely glad you like Microcosm… but I’m the lone one who didn’t like it (except for the lush verb).

I was more looking at Bam because of that classic reverb sound along with some optional analog saturation. My only hesitation is a result of knowing that Bim and Boum will likely follow the purchase. :scared:
Yeah, I should have guessed you already tried the microcosm :lol: I recall I didn't ask about it here
before impulse buying it. Anyway, I like the design of it I guess, for me it work well and saves a lot
of time while sounding great. I don't like the single stereo input though, imo that's a bit weak.

As for reverb, I am still mulling on that one. I like the OTO Machines stuff for sure, but Big Skye
is tempting to me as well. I'm not sure I could get by with just one reverb in the end also I use
the Zoia verbs constantly. *shrug
Two I’m considering, at the ambient end of things, are Meris Mercury 7 and EarthQuaker Afterneath. They’re a couple of hundred quid range each so not quite Strymon level, but probably not as many different algos.
I love my Meris Mercury 7. The only thing I don't like about it is the autoswell (it lets in some unwanted transients). My favorite setting is the plate, but obviously, it goes huge too in a different way than Microcosm. Microcosm's lush verb is almost (for me) worth the price of admission.

I want EarthQuaker Afterneath too though. It a strange but musical verb. I need to cross off some other hardware reverb needs first, but its on a shortlist.

User avatar
WatchTheGuitar
KVRAF
9348 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:16 pm

In the meantime I’ve been demoing a software ‘verb, the Neunaber Wet which is a plugin take on their Immerse pedals and for $50 it’s pretty damned good
https://neunaber.net/pages/software-downloads

Also on the software front, bought the new delay from Audio Damage, lots of fun sticking hardware synths through it
https://youtu.be/eX4LPBi5Zd4

User avatar
elxsound
KVRAF
7456 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Post Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:48 am

Well, I got my ties to explore with (even though my current patch only uses 4 cables).

I just pre-ordered the Positive Grid Spark (Pearl). The color makes a difference... I finally have a place for one of these (missus approved space) and the white (as long as I can keep it this color) will help!

Thanks, Justin3am for your help! This one should be fun to work with and fits what I could justify paying for my mediocre guitar skills. :hihi:

Image

User avatar
cryophonik
KVRAF
7562 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:52 pm

I have one open mono input on my interface that is just begging to be used and I found a good deal on a Moog Minitaur, but I've also been tempted by the Roland SE-02.... :help:

User avatar
pekbro
KVRAF
4435 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:51 pm

Neat, I never did like the Positive Grid stuff myself, for some reason. I only wish I had waited for the lineout to be included in the Yamaha THR before I bought it. I am definitely leaning towards the Strymon Iridium for guitar stuff. *shrug

User avatar
elxsound
KVRAF
7456 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Post Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:53 pm

cryophonik wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:52 pm
I have one open mono input on my interface that is just begging to be used and I found a good deal on a Moog Minitaur, but I've also been tempted by the Roland SE-02.... :help:
I'm always recommending the SE-02, but I've never used the Moog Minitaur. Comparing price alone, you could get the SE-02 and the EXT BOX, with extra to spare on other gear. There's definitely a giant disparity between features, so I'm assuming sound is your biggest determinant in choosing which one?

Hopefully, someone else with more familiarity with Moog gear can chime in.

User avatar
elxsound
KVRAF
7456 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Post Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:56 pm

pekbro wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:51 pm
Neat, I never did like the Positive Grid stuff myself, for some reason. I only wish I had waited for the lineout to be included in the Yamaha THR before I bought it. I am definitely leaning towards the Strymon Iridium for guitar stuff. *shrug
It's funny, I won't install the Positive Grid stuff, mostly because of all the complaints I've read about bugs with their plugins. With that said, I don't mind an all-inclusive box! I haven't seen any issues with the Spark, so I'm thinking this will work.

User avatar
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
30271 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:04 am

Just binkled through some of Molten Music's latest YT video, and he was talking about the Hector. Now, I probably dont need yet another modular module thingy in my modular, but on looking at the spec it did twiddle my interest that the Hector does convolution. Im not aware of many other convolvers in Eurorack, so this immediately made me start wondering, damnit....
This signature tells the story really, as quoting insults directed at me makes me someone with an over-inflated ego.

User avatar
elxsound
KVRAF
7456 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Post Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:59 am

whyterabbyt wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:04 am
Just binkled through some of Molten Music's latest YT video, and he was talking about the Hector. Now, I probably dont need yet another modular module thingy in my modular, but on looking at the spec it did twiddle my interest that the Hector does convolution. Im not aware of many other convolvers in Eurorack, so this immediately made me start wondering, damnit....
I stumbled on a more expensive option (because everyone loves paying more)… ECR-1 Convolution Reverb Processor

I’m obviously still new to this, but it’s the only other one I’ve come across.

I love the stock 480 IRs on Beebo (same software) and I’ve finally gotten to the point that I’m ready to start adding in my own IR favorites. :borg:

User avatar
whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
30271 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:04 am

elxsound wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:59 am
I stumbled on a more expensive option (because everyone loves paying more)… ECR-1 Convolution Reverb Processor

I’m obviously still new to this, but it’s the only other one I’ve come across.
Yeah, I saw that one, but the spec says 12-bit ADC/DAC, which I found a bit surprising. Over here the ECR-1 seems -slightly- cheaper, and obviously the Hector is a bit wider, but far more flexible.

Bastards.
This signature tells the story really, as quoting insults directed at me makes me someone with an over-inflated ego.

User avatar
pekbro
KVRAF
4435 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:35 pm

WatchTheGuitar wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:16 pm
In the meantime I’ve been demoing a software ‘verb, the Neunaber Wet which is a plugin take on their Immerse pedals and for $50 it’s pretty damned good
https://neunaber.net/pages/software-downloads
Kinda tempted by their Illumine pedal... Not to mention the Strandberg headless guitars from the video :lol:

User avatar
pekbro
KVRAF
4435 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:22 pm

Empress Effects Zoia Euroburo available for purchase at 10am Eastern apparently. :tu:

User avatar
cryophonik
KVRAF
7562 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:36 pm

elxsound wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:53 pm
cryophonik wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:52 pm
I have one open mono input on my interface that is just begging to be used and I found a good deal on a Moog Minitaur, but I've also been tempted by the Roland SE-02.... :help:
I'm always recommending the SE-02, but I've never used the Moog Minitaur. Comparing price alone, you could get the SE-02 and the EXT BOX, with extra to spare on other gear. There's definitely a giant disparity between features, so I'm assuming sound is your biggest determinant in choosing which one?
Yeah, sound and form factor. I’ve owned several different Moogs and currently have a Slim Phatty, but the Minitaur has me drooling a bit lately for a dedicated bass machine. Cost isn’t really a factor, but that said, the deal I can get on a Minitaur right now is actually quite a bit cheaper than an SE-02. The problem now is that I started watching vids on the Arturia Minibrute 2S and now that’s piqued my interest, too :dog:

User avatar
Uncle E
KVRAF
12806 posts since 22 Nov, 2000 from Southern California

Post Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:48 pm

cryophonik wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:36 pm
Yeah, sound and form factor. I’ve owned several different Moogs and currently have a Slim Phatty, but the Minitaur has me drooling a bit lately for a dedicated bass machine. Cost isn’t really a factor, but that said, the deal I can get on a Minitaur right now is actually quite a bit cheaper than an SE-02. The problem now is that I started watching vids on the Arturia Minibrute 2S and now that’s piqued my interest, too :dog:
They're both great. The SE-02 can do much, much more but the Minitaur sounds absolutely massive. IMO, the Minitaur is a lot better sounding than most of the synths Moog is making now.

Jomox Mbase and Korg Volca Kick are cool bass synths, as well.

imrae
KVRAF
1954 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Post Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:10 pm

whyterabbyt wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:04 am
elxsound wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:59 am
I stumbled on a more expensive option (because everyone loves paying more)… ECR-1 Convolution Reverb Processor

I’m obviously still new to this, but it’s the only other one I’ve come across.
Yeah, I saw that one, but the spec says 12-bit ADC/DAC, which I found a bit surprising. Over here the ECR-1 seems -slightly- cheaper, and obviously the Hector is a bit wider, but far more flexible.

Bastards.
You might want to take a look at the Modwiggler thread on Tasty Chips ECR-1: https://modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic. ... &start=250

Basically the original ECR-1 has severe design flaws (noisy interference with display, non-user-upgradable firmware) and have passed on cost of rectifying this to users. After a few pages of trying to sell the improved version to disappointed customers, Tasty Chips representative leaves in a huff citing 'negativity'.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”