2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
KVRAF
8636 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:48 am

Shabdahbriah wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:56 pm
Another long standing short-list 'grab-it-while-it's-in-stock', indispensable. 8)

(Detroit Modular has some: https://www.detroitmodular.com/eurorack ... lta-v.html)

Delta V.jpg
I’m sure most will wait for the inevitable Mu variant

KVRAF
7334 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:05 am

Just in case anyone was on the fence on Beebo and Hector. Their latest update improved load times on almost everything. This fixes my biggest gripe about using Beebo, so I'm happy.

There's also a Q&A video they posted up that covers which parts of the UI will be updated in a future update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dep1qmoDSaU

KVRAF
5934 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:53 am

A couple of interesting slope generators have been announced:

Schlappi Engineering Boundary

Has a "bounds" input that limits the height the rise stage reaches before it falls, but maintains the slope -- so it results in both faster and less intense cycles, bouncing ball style. Also has a handy rectifier input for better/simpler envelope follower patches, and a built-in four-quadrant VCA normalled to the slope generator.

New Systems Instruments Inertia

Has momentum, so it can overshoot its target, come careening back, overshoot again etc. until it either finally settles down or keeps oscillating. Like resonance in a filter, but in slew/slope generator form. You can imitate this by running a regular slope generator through a resonant filter but I don't know if it's exactly the same if you don't match the frequencies... and it occurs to me, having different rise/fall times with momentum might have some weird effects on it.

I want to see more demos of both. I could probably replace my Maths with one of them... to do both would mean giving up something else though.

Loose Fruit arrived, and it's different from what I expected -- but I'm growing to really like it. Most waveshapers are some kind of nonlinear function based on the input level, aka distortion. This is an inverter that flips on and off at zero crossings, in different patterns according to values in a shift register. It's not super exciting on basic waveforms, but is really cool with more complex stuff, like the output of Rings, Odessa, Ensemble Oscillator, a folded wave, etc.

That said, with Compare2 and Mixwitch (and maybe a small trigger sequencer, like Bin Seq) I might be able to get into similar territory with more flexibility... something to play with and see how it goes!

KVRAF
2712 posts since 15 Feb, 2017 from a worn out vinyl groove

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:38 am

Fcuk fcuk fcuk...
Go away TipTop , leave me alone...

https://tiptopaudio.com/buchla/?fbclid= ... bPA5Xw9RGA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avhIc0p4zeM

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1463002

so so so tempting... looks around for more scrap wood for a case.. :oops:

Behringer will have no chance now to clone.. these are the approved (and probably) real deal.. in Euro format

addled muppet weed
86091 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:45 am

:o

KVRist
206 posts since 25 May, 2012 from Sunny Philly

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:19 am

would not part cash for it...but thats a thing of beauty :clap:

KVRAF
5934 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:20 am

toonertik wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:38 am
Go away TipTop , leave me alone...
This is excellent/terrible news :lol:

Also, those panels actually make the Mantis case look good -- I used to think it was sort of a generic 90s office computer gray plastic and I was tempted to cover it in black gaffer tape.

I think I will probably not go for these... I really like the stuff I have which is Buchla-inspired-but-evolved. However, if they build a 208 equivalent and maintain that kind of pricing, it shall be mine, oh yes, it shall be mine.
Last edited by foosnark on Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:07 am

This is pretty exciting. Many of the bleeps and bloops I've liked have been from Buchla systems, but I always stopped short of researching or extending that interest because of the price.

I see just two modules are expected before the end of the year, but I'm hoping this stays in production for a while so I have a chance to pick em up as I get to the point of wanting to expand more.

KVRAF
1885 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:35 am

Wow, that's big news. I expect the quad LPG and Source of Uncertainty will make it into lots of cases.

addled muppet weed

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:46 am

guess ill be needing that fourth mantis, doesn't count though, it's a different synth ...
i would be a bit ocd about appearance for this one. the buchla design is so space age, that's a control panel from a 70s sci fi film! a thing of beauty even not switched on. (that should help elx with the missus :tu: )

KVRAF
7253 posts since 7 Sep, 2006 from Roseville, CA

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:06 am

cryophonik wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:16 pm
Uncle E wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:48 pm
cryophonik wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:36 pm
Yeah, sound and form factor. I’ve owned several different Moogs and currently have a Slim Phatty, but the Minitaur has me drooling a bit lately for a dedicated bass machine. Cost isn’t really a factor, but that said, the deal I can get on a Minitaur right now is actually quite a bit cheaper than an SE-02. The problem now is that I started watching vids on the Arturia Minibrute 2S and now that’s piqued my interest, too :dog:
They're both great. The SE-02 can do much, much more but the Minitaur sounds absolutely massive. IMO, the Minitaur is a lot better sounding than most of the synths Moog is making now.

Jomox Mbase and Korg Volca Kick are cool bass synths, as well.
I ended up buying the Minitaur! The price (and sound) was too good to pass up. The editor/plug-in is very nicely implemented, so that was a nice little bonus.
Aaaaannnnndddddd... I found a good deal on a Sub 37 and, being the opportunistic deal finder that I am, I couldn't pass it up, so now I have three Moogs. :dog: We'll see if I end up keeping all three (Sub 37, Minitaur, and Slim Phatty), but I'm finding that they're all actually different enough and fun to use that I don't want to part with any of them! The only problem is that my desk space got very cramped, so I'm considering a KVGear SubPiggy or Gear Rail. Anybody used these, or have other recommendations to go vertical with my Prophet Rev2, Maschine, and/or Minitaur?

KVRAF

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:26 am

vurt wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:46 am
guess ill be needing that fourth mantis, doesn't count though, it's a different synth ...
i would be a bit ocd about appearance for this one. the buchla design is so space age, that's a control panel from a 70s sci fi film! a thing of beauty even not switched on. (that should help elx with the missus :tu: )
:lol: I can only hope she sees it the same!

I might even have space for a Mantis case now!

addled muppet weed

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:33 am

foosnark wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:20 am

Also, those panels actually make the Mantis case look good -- I used to think it was sort of a generic 90s office computer gray plastic and I was tempted to cover it in black gaffer tape.
i admit, theyre not exciting...
but whos looking at the surround when the fire is so beautiful?

although, i have a couple of clear covers too, the hard plastic ones, that i do keep thinking about "pollocking" :hihi:

addled muppet weed

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:37 am

elxsound wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:26 am
vurt wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:46 am
:lol: I can only hope she sees it the same!
get her a star trek costume, then she can sit next to it looking like shes on the enterprise :)
I might even have space for a Mantis case now!
:party:

as i said above, theyre not as sexy as foos wooden case, but theyre good cases (imo, which probably counts for nothing as a relative noob) but ive had no power issues, or any problems at all really, except the depth issue with the spring reverb :oops:
but, for the buchla, they obviously fit :lol:

KVRAF
4288 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:02 am

Hmm, yeah I dunno. I would probably rather have an actual Buchla system myself with banana cables etc. I've no particular need to experience it in eurorack. Maybe :shrug: My eurorack interest is dwindling anyway, I have enough already and cannot allow it to just keep growing indefinitely.
1000hp is likely the limit for me.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”